Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

FERRIS: from Ngati Porou  

RSS
menaferris
(@menaferris)

I am trying to trace the origins of the Ferris family who settled on the East Coast. I am fairly certain that they came from Scotland. Charles Ferris emigrated to NZ leaving a brother in Australia. I would like to hear the history of these early Ferris whanau, its all a bit sketchy for me

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:19:10 PM

Posted : 17 December, 2004 4:56 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora menaferris,

If you do a search in the links here for Ferris you will find a site that has a bit of info. There are 2 Charles Ferris in the tree, but I am not too sure which one, if either, is the one you are talking about.

But it may give you a place to start

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 12:26 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

The Ferris name is well known in Gisborne and Hawkes Bay.

Edited by - wyllie on Apr 22 2005 4:30:23 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 April, 2005 4:29 pm
Panipani OWC
(@panipani-owc)

Kia Ora Mena,

You could get a copy of the Hiruharama School 100th year anniversary and they have alot of Ferris whanau there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2006 9:09 pm
Dolly OWC
(@dolly-owc)

tena koe Mena

have u tried Doc Ferris Snr he and his whanau can b 'accosted' at Te Wananga o Raukawa ki Otaki 0800 wananga ... lol, so gonna git my taringa clipped

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2006 5:53 pm
heni OWC
(@heni-owc)

KIA ORA MENA,
THIS IS HENI FROM BRISBANE OZ AGAIN HOW MUCH FURTHER HAVE YOU MANAGED TO GET IN RESEARCHING OUR WHANAU IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET BACK TO ME I WILL SEND YOU OUR FERRIS WHANAU WEB SITE ADDRESS. ALL MY AUNTIES, UNCLES & CUZZIES WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT A BIT MORE. WILL WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU...
HAERE RA FOR NOW
HENI LOW

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 July, 2006 10:52 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Kia ora all, thank you for your replys. I have been living overseas in the u.k. for a couple of years but now back in the nz and a bit more committed to doing some research of the ferris whanau!! hope you are all having some successes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 10:31 pm
ferriswheel OWC
(@ferriswheel-owc)

I am one of the whanau of Charles William Paumea Ferris who married Raiha Kamau(he was my great grandfather). I have been told about Charles Ferris (English/Scots) who came from England with his brother and one stayed in Australia. I need to further research our whakapapa. I am in the process of opening up a myfamily.com site so we can share more information and keep in contact with everyone. This is also a great place for information. Hope menaferris is still about... would like to hear from her

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 October, 2007 4:47 pm
kiwi01 OWC
(@kiwi01-owc)

Good Afternoon every one

Good Morning

I am helping my partner's niece with her father's side of the family tree.
Her late father was Lyn Robert COOPER, his father Charles Sydney Kamau COOPER, his father Charles Leonard COOPER, who married Sarah Jane FERRIS in 1924
We do have the COOPER tree.
It is Sarah Jane FERRIS family that we are interested in obtaining information

What we have is:
Sarah Jane FERRIS B 28 Aug 1907 Tokomaru Bay, d 10 Feb 1987 Napier
1) m1924 Charles Leonard COOPER d 14 Oct 1947 Gisborne 14 children.
2) m 1976 David Henry BUTCHER d 1978 Hastings

Her parents:
John Sydney FERRIS B ABT 1880 Waipira Bay m 1901 in the dwelling Charles FERRIS, Wainui, Mere WAITI daughter of Hirini WAITI / WHITE and Elizabeth WARD

Mere WAITI also known as Elizabeth Mere Koutukou White on her daughter's death certificate.
Elizabeth WARD also known as Riripeti

J S FERRIS parents:
Charles Williams FERRIS m Erena TUHUNA ( shown on JS FERRIS marriage certificate)
Children: this is what I could find:
John Sydney
Donald killed WW1 Turkey
James Paumea
Kani

Would you be able to help with any background on the FERRIS family ?

Please excuse any mistakes in the spelling of the Maori names, as these were taken from certificates or of the Internet.

Regards
Frances O'Brien (NZ)

PA had try to contact ferriswheel on Ancestry.com, but her email bounced.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2008 10:57 am
kiwi01 OWC
(@kiwi01-owc)

Good Afternoon every one

Good Morning

Her late father was Lyn Robert COOPER, his father Charles Sydney Kamau COOPER, his father Charles Leonard COOPER, who married Sarah Jane FERRIS in 1924

What we have is:

Her parents:
John Sydney FERRIS B ABT 1880 Waipira Bay m 1901 in the dwelling Charles FERRIS, Wainui, Mere WAITI daughter of Hirini WAITI / WHITE and Elizabeth WARD

Mere WAITI also known as Elizabeth Mere Koutukou White on her daughter's death certificate.

J S FERRIS parents:
Charles Williams FERRIS m Erena TUHUNA ( shown on JS FERRIS marriage certificate)
John Sydney
Donald killed WW1 Turkey
James Paumea
Kani

Please excuse any mistakes in the spelling of the Maori names, as these were taken from certificates or of the Internet.

Regards
Frances O'Brien (NZ)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2008 10:57 am
kiwi01 OWC
(@kiwi01-owc)

Good Afternoon every one

Good Morning

What we have is:

Her parents:

J S FERRIS parents:
John Sydney
Donald killed WW1 Turkey
James Paumea
Kani

Regards
Frances O'Brien (NZ)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2008 10:58 am
kiwi01 OWC
(@kiwi01-owc)

Have two copy of marriage certificates for:

1) Charles William FERRIS aged 21, Shearer, Tokomaru Bay, Parents Jack FERRIS & Ripene WHITE / WAITI he married 25 July 1921 Registrar's Office Tokomaru Bay to Makere Teoho KIRIKINO aged 22, Wairlakaro:
Parents Henare KIRIKINO & Matura GREEN

2nd certificate for

2)Charles William Ferris aged 58 Licensed Interpreter, Widower 9 Jul 1924, Anaura:
Parents: Charles William FERRIS Military Officer & Keita TERAPU
married 20 April 1925 Registrar's Office Gisborne to Hera TIURI / JURY aged 46, widow Oct 1923, Nuhaka
Parents: Hirini Ronga & Marara

Ring any bells with any researcher of the FERRIS family

Regards
Frances

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2008 10:58 am
Share: