Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Hikitapua Aporo  

Page 1 / 8
  RSS
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Kiaora i am looking for info on the Hikitapua whanau Aporo Hikitapua (died 1877) was my ggg grandfather. he married Mere Ngawaka and had Mereana Tauke who married Frank Lewis Harrison and had my Great grandmother Riria Iritekura Harrison(born 1900 in Kariaka,ruatoria) who married Maku Hale, Thay lived in or around Waipiro bay and then moved to Kennedy bay in Coromandel. I am also looking for any whakapapa on the NGAWAKA whanau,Aporo married Mere Ngawaka my mum seems to think the whanau have connections with Great Barrier island.
Thank you

Posted : 06 September, 2006 1:53 pm
Carol G OWC
(@carol-g-owc)

Kia ora Charlie. I am a mokopuna of Riria Hale and I'm wondering who your parents are? You may find this link interesting:

http://www.ngatiporoukihauraki.maori.nz/index.htm

Yes there are Ngawaka/Walker at Gt Barrier Island and Hales their as well. How they tie in exactly I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2006 5:38 pm
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Kiaora carol! my parents are ruby and phil, u are rhys and jodie's mum arent u? how are u all? yeh i am researching the Whakapapa and Aporo is as far as i get for that line and finding anything on Mere is the same. I have got hale's right back till 1600's. anyway will keep going i love it. Hei Konei Ra ano..Teresa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2006 5:43 pm
Carol G OWC
(@carol-g-owc)

Yes that's me 🙂 Gee Teresa you are doing well good on you! If I ever come across anything I'll forward it to you. We are all fine here Jo & her hubby live here in Matamata, Reece & his wife in Wellington. Doesn't look like we're going to have any grandchildren tho. How long have you been into Whakapapa?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2006 10:17 am
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Been into Whakapapa a long time, but finally have the time to research. Still no Moko's eh? i have 3 kids and Kristie has 2 so mum and dad have 5 moko's to keep them busy. I will carry on i am doing all of it, and my Potae side as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2006 4:34 pm
Ngati_Proud OWC
(@ngati_proud-owc)

Kia ora Charlie
My great-grandfather was Henry (Henare) August Harrison son of Frank Harrison & Mereana Tauke. My grandfather was also Henry August Harrison but known as Glassy. My mother was Te Aroha Maria Harrison. My name is Ginny. Just wanted to let you know that at the urupa on Boots Hill where Papa Glassy and Great-great-grandfather Frank are buried there is a monument there which has our whakapapa. If you wanna know more just give me a holla. I'm in Gisborne and I go to Waipiro Bay a lot. My brothers & sisters & I are also doing a whakapapa journey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 12:05 am
N8V1 OWC
(@n8v1-owc)

Ko Moehau te maunga
Ko Ahuahu te motu
Ko Paikea te tangata
Ko Rakairoa te whanau
Ko Porourangi ki Harataunga, ki Mataora te iwi!!
J DOGG REPRESENTIN ALL DA WAY FROM WANGAZ HAHA!!
DAMN!! Do Yall realise how close we related??? Well its enough to make me wanna respond up in hurr, WOW WOT A BUZZ!! Kia Ora Whanau & greetings to you all, my great-grandfather is Harangi Harrison who is also a son of Mereana Tauke and Frank Harrison. I hope you find this following piece of information useful, its our whakapapa link to Porourangi through our tupuna Aporo Hikitapua.

Porou
Hau
Awapururu
Tangihaere
Poroumata
Te Ataakura
Te Ao Mihia
Iri Te Kura
Tapaka
Tamakari
Kotiuru
Taero
Tanetuturangi
Tamaingoa
Te Awhinariki
Aporo Hikitapua
Tauke

Apparently, the name Hikitapua goes back to the days of the Horouta waka's arrival in Ahuahu. It was during this time that Hikitapua (owner of Horouta) remained and later-on inhabiting Harataunga whilst Paoa & co decided to head towards the East Coast. Hence our Hikitapua connection.
Anywayz 4no i'll leave it there for now keep in touch aye (as i wanna see somebody respond to this nahmean?), if u got any other ?'s regarding anything jus holla yall!MEAN MAORI MEAN!PEACE!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 April, 2007 1:13 am
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Chur Chur jeez it's awesome arite eh meeting new whanau! I am living in Perth and am gettin real homesik so thought i'd start doin the whakapapa thing and I LOVE IT!! know of any whanau ova these ways..LOL keep in touch will get sum more details and compare what i've got so far...Hei Konei ra ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2007 8:02 pm
N8V1 OWC
(@n8v1-owc)

Charlie quote:
"know of any whanau ova these ways..LOL"

Matter of fact I do but they more in Sydney or Brisbane. If youre ever in Brisbane and can get to drews ave/loganholme/brisbane/qld u will find a big bunch of "HARRISONS" up those ways im sure they'll enjoy sharing a glass or two with one of our long lost whanaunga and they hearty-azz to their booze lol!!"HARRISON STYLEEZ TOO CUZ" yall be rite!!!
For myself personally, hopefully in the near future I want to travel to the coast and get to the know our EASTCOAST side. I know of the traditions and whakapapa relating to the coast but Ive never really had the chance to meet any of our relations there nor do i really get the opportunity to travel there. Part of the reason for that is the families of Harangi and Riria Harrison (out of the Harrison whanau) were chosen to uphold the ahi kaa status of Ngati Porou ki Hauraki (namely Harataunga and Mataora)whilst you lot (the tuakana lot) remained on the coast and maintained and upheld the ahi kaa status there. Do you know all the children of Frank Harrison and Mereana Tauke? Sadly for me, I dont (and I must admit I havent really thought about it until approaching this thread) but least within this thread hopefully we can build-up the whanau knowledge base and empower each other with it. So to allda cuzzies out thurr, spread the word that whakapapa.maori.org.nz is da place to be for yor hookup (at least within the cyber-world). A tona wa mai MAORI!!Holla!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2007 1:53 am
N8V1 OWC
(@n8v1-owc)

Ohh yea fore i go chek Hearty Nati's thread: "Ngati Porou Whakapapa" if you havent looked already. It's PRIMO-AZZ. You will find the information "sufficient enough" so to speak especially if you've only jus begun researching. So please check it! Props to Hearty Nati (thread creator and others who keep feeding it)! Holla!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2007 4:51 am
charlie OWC
(@charlie-owc)

Yeh well i was bought up at Harataunga (Kennedy Bay) so only relly knew the Harrisons and Hales from Hauraki ways, went to Tokomaru Bay a few times and Waipiro Bay and meet cuzzies a few years back now we went often when we were kids tho, i even knew heaps of harrisons in Paeroa where i went to College. Where were u bought up??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 May, 2007 6:33 pm
N8V1 OWC
(@n8v1-owc)

Auckland, Whanganui & Harataunga (went to school there!). The iwi (Ngati Porou ki Harataunga, ki Mataora) are currently in the process of dealing with our raupatu (land claims). Its gonna be awesome once the final report has been done (currently in draft mode) which is going to be amazing once the report is released to us (haukainga).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 May, 2007 6:46 pm
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Kia Ora n8v1,
Attend hui where issues are concerned with NPKH.
(Ngnati Porou Ki Hauraki)If you want to keep your Whenua, keep up with the play.
Na Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 May, 2007 7:33 pm
N8V1 OWC
(@n8v1-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora n8v1,
Attend hui where issues are concerned with NPKH.
(Ngati Porou Ki Hauraki)If you want to keep your Whenua, keep up with the play.
Na Steve.

Tena koe e hika,
True Im usually at most hui at the marae (Harataunga). I usually travel from Whanganui to get there.
Now quote me if Im wrong (cause Ive been tryin to figure out the whakapapa connection between us due to the fact that those tupuna names you quoted in your thread were names I was familiar with and hence the long wait to respond as im still trying to figure it out in my head still even now what the connection is). From what I can gather off the top of my head Mereana Ngawaka and Maata Ngapo were sisters? Or something like that! Anyways I cant remember at the moment hopefully it all comes back to me apopo!We'll have to catch-up ano e te whanaunga!

N8V1

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2007 1:05 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

The Ngati Porou ki Harataunga, ki Mataora, are tuku whenua. That is, Ngati Porou that live in those areas live there with obligations back to Ngati Whanaunga (my iwi). Ngati Porou were invited to live there because they frequently travelled through Hauraki in trading. That was the only way Ngati Porou was allowed to set up there, it was under tuku whenua. There were no battles fought. As Nga Puhi, Ngati Manawa and some parts of Ngai Tuhoe, Ngati Haua and Te Arawa confederation can all attest, we, the Ngati Whanaunga were a mean nasty bunch who didn't take tiko from no body in ancient times. And today, that's what our personalities are like. We tend to be quite aggressive as a bunch of people.

Anyway, look in the Maori land court minute books. Hauraki gets included with the Taitokerau sittings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2007 1:24 am
Page 1 / 8
Share: