Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

HOWES/HAU Piari  

RSS
penehacooper4nau OWC
(@penehacooper4nau-owc)

piari born about 1870's (approx) had 2 son's from 1st marriage that being Wiremu and Kahi Moon/Muunu, from her second marriage to Peneha Kingi 2 son's Tohuora and Hone Kingi they lived at Kaikou until 1909
when Piari was shot.
As far as I know Piari was half scottish on her fathers side and Maori on her mother's side I believe Piari's mother was a Kaka of ngapuhi descent.I need to know her parents, did she have siblings etc..Ive been told that Piari had strong whanau connections to Ngawha Springs and also told that Piari resting place is at Ngawha by the church I was named after her my grandfather was Hone Kingi Piari's youngest son.
Hone Kingi eventually took his father's 1st name as a surname thus Hone Kingi Peneha I remember in the mid 1970's my grandfather's niece
came to see him in the Wairarapa her name was Sarah Motu from Ngawha.
any korero on Piari and her parents would be a step closer to her whakapapa.. I have met some of Kahi Moon's lineage I also have a son named Kahi Moon who is Hard Proud of who he is.. again please enlighten kiora ano Piari

Posted : 07 July, 2006 2:59 am
annie.fraser OWC
(@annie-fraser-owc)

Kia Ora Piari
My Grandmothers sister Lavinia Johnson/Cissy ( her mother was Rawinia Manukau ) married a Wiremu More Moon/Muunu/Matenga and lived and died in Te Aroha and they had 8 children. Wiremu also had 2 other children to Titipo (daughter of Te Hoeta) and these were Mere and Wiremu Moon/muunu/Matenga.
Could these be from the same whanau?
Kia ora
Annie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 July, 2006 5:59 pm
penehacooper4nau OWC
(@penehacooper4nau-owc)

kiaora Annie,
thanx for your reply, well muunu/moon are a well known family name from kaikohe I met 3 of the 11-12 tamariki that Kahi Moon had this was of 2 families the 3 I know are from the 2nd family apparently the eldest from the 1st family passed away cupla years ago she was 98
all I been told is that my grandfather Hone Kingi Peneha was the youngest of 4 he was born 1897, I am inclined to think that maybe this family had strong hokianga connections I found a wiremu Muunu/Moon born 1820 in hokianga and married Kiwikiwi Pawhau maybe their some hook up there ne way Annie I will suss it out and thanx for sharing yr korero I will keep u posted.
naku noa Piari

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 July, 2006 1:21 am
annie.fraser OWC
(@annie-fraser-owc)

Kia ora Piari
Good to hear from you. Cheers
Just looking at the birth dates you gave. Aunty Cissy was born in 1873 and My Gr/mother in 1875 and their tamariki would have possibly been born at similar times to your GR/father. Just a thought. I will have a korero with my uncle Paeturi who is 83 and has spoken about the Moon/Muunu whakapapa to me and see whether he can shed some more light as well.
Kia ora
Annie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 July, 2006 6:00 pm
annie.fraser OWC
(@annie-fraser-owc)

Kia ora again Piari
Just an add on.We whakapapa back to Kaipara through our Ngati Whatua line of the Manukau whanau
Na
Annie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 July, 2006 6:14 pm
penehacooper4nau OWC
(@penehacooper4nau-owc)

Kia Ora ano Annie,
thanx for yr input to my patai,I found a Wiremu Muunu/Moon born:1820 Hokianga and married KiwiKiwi Pawhau.
my papa hone was born 1897 his older brother Kahi was born 1891 and there mother Piari was born 1852,yr so lucky to have a kaumatua of that age to gather whakapapa from I dont have elders of that age to korero to, and I wish I had my ears on properly when my granparents were alive
I remembered only parts of my granfathers korero and I suppose the korero I do remember are of significance because I have enough to give me that beginning anyway Annie the Wiremu Muunu you panui to me there is a hook up somewhere because Rawinia Manukau would have been born about that era. And as far as I know I have Ngati Whatua connections Thru My Grandmother as well..thanx ano for your tautoko will catch up a te wa..
na Piari

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 July, 2006 12:50 pm
Share: