Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Humphrys: tracing whanau/ whakapapa  

RSS
cameliacollins2 OWC
(@cameliacollins2-owc)

True story from last century, can you help me trace my whanau at all? The time has come to put together something permanent, as I now have a child and don't want her to feel lost as I do sometimes.

I'm the youngest daughter of Linda May Humphrys, born 1950 in Wellington, who was the youngest of 15 herself. My grandparents both passed away by the time I was born, and some of my mother's siblings went into other homes and lost contact. Unfortunately only a few, including my mum, still live.

I know most of the first names of my aunts and uncles but not the name of my marae (in Otaki I think). I've always been brought up as part of Ngati Kahungunu, and knowing that there is also possibly a link with Ngati Toa. I can't seem to get further back in our history than my grandparents. I think George or Joe Humphrys (possibly not a birth surname)is my grandfather, and my grandmother's maiden name was Brough. Possibly she may be of Moriori descent. I have a very large extended family, almost none of whom I know.
I remember the names of Aunts: Grace, Mavis, Pauleen, Rene(I never met her), Kath, and Uncles: Willie, George, Tom, Robert, Philip. There are another 4 plus my mother. I believe some of the whanau may still live in or near Otaki (Lower North Island).
I've been told we may be related to Henare whanau, and possibly Namana. I'd like to trace my heritage as far back as I can manage, and want to know the names of my marae etc. The family has been very split and my mum would like to help, but she was quite young and doesn't know much of the history, as well as being discouraged from Maoridom in her young life.
Can you help me and my child find our roots?

Thank you.
Camelia Jane Collins

Posted : 01 October, 2007 2:09 am
Share: