Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

HUTCHINSON, Tamati Whatatiri and TUHAKA, Hine: Help with my whakapapa  

RSS
GC OWC
(@gc-owc)

Kia ora,

I am trying to find out some more information regarding my tupuna above who are my great, great grandparents on my father's side. I have been told that both Tamati and Hine are from Ngati Porou and my father succeeded land at Rotokautuku near Ruatoria. Familysearch.org had Tamati as being born around 1853 and Hine Tuhaka was his 3rd wife. But this is all the information I have currently.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Posted : 14 March, 2007 9:35 pm
moks OWC
(@moks-owc)

Kia ora GC, I too stem from Tuhaka, funny though I wonder where the connection is. My grt gd mother was a Hutchinson. It was Hine Tuhaka that comes from Ruatoria because the Tuhaka whanau are still there to my knowledge (believe it or not I got that from my next door neighbour who comes from there. We also have a female Tuhaka she came from Ruatoria migrated to the coromandel and then moved on to North, I do not have info on me but nxt time I am on I will put it in.
Wens

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2008 11:56 am
GC OWC
(@gc-owc)

Kia ora Wens, Thanks for your reply. The Hutchinson's that I come from did settle in the Coromandel, around Tairua and Thames. Whatever info you have would be awesome!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 March, 2008 8:16 am
rotohiko OWC
(@rotohiko-owc)

Kia ora e hoa.

I am a descendent of Tamati Whatatiri Hutchinson and Tote Tapsell the first wife of our tupuna Tamati. I have only small bits of information about our tupuna. His father was Thomas Hutchinson a redcoat soldier. My family retains three gold chains from this pakeha tupuna. It was originally a yard long fobe chain for carrying his watch. This fobe chain was given to his son Phillip Hutchinson who in time passed it on to his daughter Isobella Hutchinson my grand mother with the tikanga that it should be passed on in the female line of the family. hence this gold fobe chain was passed to my mother Agnes Anatipa mona Mcgregor. She in turn passed this on to her daugthers. My sister Cathrine before she died passed her chain on to my daughter Anatipa Penu Te Ha O Hine hopu. The three chains are considered taonga tuku iho by my whanau and hapu.Up in the Hokianga near Pangaru lives a kaumatua PA Tate who is an expert in whakapapa and korero about the family. It is my understanding that he has a Hutchinson book that details the development of the family in Aotearoa. I am sorry I do not have his number. I do not know if this helps or hinders at all your research. I would be happy to hear any other information that you might find in your research

Rotohiko

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 March, 2008 6:45 pm
GC OWC
(@gc-owc)

Kia ora Rotohiko,

Just so you know where I fit into the picture, my great grandfather was Edward Hutchinson. He married my great grandmother Matilda Howard. Edward was Tamati's 3rd son from his marriage to Hine Tuhaka. Pa Tate's grandmother and Edward were brother and sister. Pa and I are also related on the Te Rarawa side as his grandfather and my great, great grandmother (Matilda's mother, Tuihana) were brother and sister.
I have excerpt's from the book written about Tairua which talks about Isobella and Phillip Hutchinson and the McGregors. I have Pa's email so will make contact with him. We were last in contact about 6 years ago when I was working on my Te Rarawa whakapapa.
Many thanks for your help.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 March, 2008 9:29 am
rotohiko OWC
(@rotohiko-owc)

Kia ora ra te whanaunga,

It is good to met you cousin albeit by internet. Our Tupuna Tuihana connects me and you to Te Rarawa. The Tuihana Hutchinson(nee, Howard) reunion is held every three years the next is next year to be hosted by our cuzzies the Mareroa whanau. I will try to keep you informed of when and where it is held.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2008 9:10 am
Share: