Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KARA Sam  

RSS
Jeni OWC
(@jeni-owc)

Kia ora hopefully someone out there might be able to help me, I have just recently found out my biological grandparents names and now would like to get more information about them. My mother's mother and father were Waimarie (nee)KINGI and Tuaroa WILLIAMS that's all I know about them. I think my grandfather is from up north somewhere.

My father's parent's were Titi LEWIS from Te Reinga and his father was Sam KARA I think that was his first name anyway he was from Mahanga.
I was brought up by my grandmother's whanau and now I am looking for any information I can get for myself and my tamariki.

Posted : 19 May, 2007 12:36 am
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Kia ora Jeni,
I know a Sam Kara from Gisborne, his mums name was Mere, but these Karas (Carrols), are from Manutuke. I know that they have connections with Mahanga through the Chief Te Hapuku Te Ika Ngaruhe, as mentioned by one of the old pakeke from those wayz, Poua Bob Wilson (decd). I know that at one of the Karas' marae is a huge whakapapa tree hanging in the Whare, I think it's either Mahanga or Pahou Marae (Manutuke). They have connections to Manutuke through Sir James Carrol (Timi Kara). Other wise another marae to try would be Waiohau just out of Napier, they're a huge family.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2007 6:32 pm
Jeni OWC
(@jeni-owc)

Thankyou so much for that information, my partner and I are really grateful as we have abit more to work with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2007 9:35 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Sweet as Jeni,
Taungaroa Emile (Boogie in Once were Warriors) his mum is a Kara. The reason I know the family is because they have lived right next door to my family for more than 50 years.
Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2007 11:07 pm
Jeni OWC
(@jeni-owc)

Do you know if they are from Mahanga as there are a few different Kara whanau from different areas. Not that my children and I mine being related to an actor.
Thankyou for taking the time to reply as I have learnt more about my whakapapa in your reply's then I have in my life time Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2007 7:18 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Hey Jeni,
you'd be best to start with Mahanga, but I'll give you something to start off with. The Karas from Mahanga descend from Te Haapuku Te Ika Ngaruhe (Te Ika Nui), his eldest son was Aakamira Te Aataiwaho Haapuku, who had 5 children. The eldest of these children was Karamaena Te Aataiwaho Haapuku. As far as I know there are three main families that come off this line - the Karas, the Haapukus, and the Waapus. The iwi around Mahanga is Rongomaiwahine, but through Te Haapuku, you will also have links to an iwi called Te Whatu I Apiti, who are situated in the central Hawkes Bay. Both of these iwi are part of a bigger iwi Kahungunu, as you'd already know. My 3x great grandmother, was the younger sister to Karamaena, and this is how you and I are related, her name was Hinemata Waho (Waho being short for Te Aataiwaho). Te Haapuku was a well known chief in the Hawkes Bay, and when I find the link on this site to him I will post it here for you to read. I am sorry I can't give you a full whakapapa, nut this should be ore than enough for you to start off with, to help you on your way. I think ths is your main link. Anyway good luck, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 May, 2007 11:30 pm
arana carroll OWC
(@arana-carroll-owc)

Hi Jeni
My name is Arana Carroll and I think the Sam Kara you are talking about is my grandfathers brother and i might be able to help you. So i'd like to hear from you.

Edited by - arana carroll on Jun 21 2007 4:56:08 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2007 12:05 pm
Pilbara Kiwi OWC
(@pilbara-kiwi-owc)

Hi Jeni,

My Grandfather was Sam Kara, from Mahanga (Rongomaiwahine).
When he was alive, he resided in Wairoa. I believe that my grandfather had a previous relationship, however I will have to make contact with my father to verify this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2007 6:25 am
Jeni OWC
(@jeni-owc)

Hi Pilbara Kiwi

I believe we are talking about the same Sam Kara as I have heard that my grandfather lived down Kiwi Road in Wairoa at some stage. It will be interesting to hear back from you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2007 8:40 pm
Pilbara Kiwi OWC
(@pilbara-kiwi-owc)

Hi Jeni,

We are talking about the same person, that is my grandfather.

I have spoken to father, Polly (Titi) LEWIS, was his mother, and they lived in Kiwi Road, until my Grandfather died.

If you would like to email me privately, I can pass on more information

Regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 June, 2007 5:04 pm
rarere OWC
(@rarere-owc)

kia ora if u want the whakapapa then email me or send me a pm and il send it to u they are not actually karas they changed there name from makahue to kara and some changed there name from kara to carroll

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 July, 2007 1:31 pm
Share: