Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KATENE  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Does anyone out there have any info on either an Emily/emeria/emma Katene or Mabel/mepara/ngapera, Katene, circa 1800's onwards, Patea and Hawera area, tying in with Kui Makere, Tuhekaeo Katene and Te Hamuhamu Katene?

Posted : 14 February, 2007 11:39 pm
Jolan OWC
(@jolan-owc)

Re:Emily Katene
If it's the same Emily I know of born around the 20's or 30's then yes. She married a man in Wanganui and had 6 boys one of whom was adopted out to whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2007 10:26 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Is that the timeframe 1920's and 30's? was she part pakeha with green eyes? scuse the silly question!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2007 12:07 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

oops, not Kui Makere, kuia makere! Margaret. also tying in somehow to Sid Noble, Annie Wiki,nee snooks?, Makere's line linked with TeKaho? Makere lived and died Ohawe Beach near New plymouth, annie noble-snooks-wiki?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2007 10:32 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Which Katenes are these from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 12:29 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

to do with emily katene born around 1848?, Enzio Katene from North Taranaki, Tuhekaeo or Te Kaho or Tukaeo Katene, Te Hamuhamu Katene, North Taranaki area. There are some other names also connected.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 12:51 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

aroha mai if you correct me on any of this, it is some of what i have been told from that area, from some of those linked to the above along with some more names.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 12:57 am
Jolan OWC
(@jolan-owc)

The Emily I know of was from the Normanby, Katene line. Just North of Hawera. Round about the 1920's - 1930's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 1:11 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Jolan you may be right about Emily, I will call someone from the area this week as i was looking at some old notes, the Emily i was told of was half pakeha with green eyes, make any sense?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 1:23 am
Bibi OWC
(@bibi-owc)

I have an aunty Emma Katene, who is probably in her forties now, does Koro Maru, Sam, Tommy to name a couple ring any bells?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 9:31 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

think i found the Makere, in 1915 Makere Kauaterangi married Awhio Ngatai, am in the process of following up the Katene link etc, bear with me! naku noa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 9:50 pm
Jolan OWC
(@jolan-owc)

The Emily I'm talking about married my Uncle. His name was Tuwhakaata Te Waaka. They had 7 boys one was adopted to whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 9:53 pm
Jolan OWC
(@jolan-owc)

They lived in Taumarunui with my Kui before moving to Wanganui. They parted a few years later. When we last heard of Aunty Emily she had passed away leaving behind two more children from a second marriage in Hamilton.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 10:01 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Do you have the names of Emily's children? including the one whangai, and children from 2nd marriage?, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 10:08 pm
Jolan OWC
(@jolan-owc)

Wayne (deceased), Richard (deceased), Colin, David, Anton (Lived with Kuia Matariki in Normanby for a little while), Gary and Stanley (deceased) from the first marriage. I think her son's name from the second marriage is Ronald (please don't quote me on that, I never got to meet them when they visited Wanganui) and I don't know his sisters name.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2007 10:17 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: