Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KINGI, John Uropo or John Urupa: Looking for my great-grandfather's whanau.  

RSS
carolinet OWC
(@carolinet-owc)

I am looking for any information about my great-grandfather and his whanau. My great-grandfather is John Uropo (or Urupa) KINGI. He was born around 1878 in Omaha (north of Auckland near Matakana and Wellsford)and died in 1949 in Takapuna (he is buried in Waikumete cemetery). Given where my great-grandfather was born we think he may be from Nga Puhi, Ngati Whatua, Ngati Wai or Hauraki. My great-grandfather's father's name is William King and there are family rumours that his father may have been Te Rangitake, Wiremu Kingi from Waitara. My great-grandfather was supposed to have married Elizabeth Fergus (formerly Sirett) in 1904 in Wellsford. Elizabeth was born in England in 1863, married Robert Fergus and came to New Zealand in 1885. Elizabeth had a daughter Kate with Robert Fergus. Elizabeth and John had 3 daughters: Nora Belgrove Kingi, Eden Kingi, and my grandmother, Winifred Kelma Kingi.

I would really appreciate receiving any information that you might have that would help in my search.

Thank you.

Caroline

Edited by - carolinet on Feb 12 2008 7:35:11 PM

Posted : 12 February, 2008 7:27 pm
Share: