Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

LEWIS / ROGERS, Wairoa  

RSS
nzworm OWC
(@nzworm-owc)

Kia Ora,
I am trying to find the mother of my great great grandmother - Miria Mokai (aka Emily/Emilia Lewis, Miria Mokai Ratana). Miria Mokai was a daughter of Jack Lewis, and sister of Taraipine. She had children with William Henry Rogers. After Rogers death she married Ratana. She is buried at Te Uhi Urupa, next to Taihoa Marae, Wairoa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
William Kearney

Posted : 10 June, 2005 12:17 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe nzworm,

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Mokai in the surname, setting the country to New Zealand, you will find some records there for Miria. Note: not all info in that site is accurate but it is a good place to start

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2005 2:14 pm
nzworm OWC
(@nzworm-owc)

Tena Koe Poutokomanawa,
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the familysearch.org website several months ago. There are many similar spellings/variations of names from which I think I have a possible link between Miria Mokai and whakapapa in the book Takitimu (J.H. Mitchell). I have not been able to confirm these names. Additionally I am reluctant to disclose them in a public forum. (i) I may be wrong; or (ii) it may inadvertantly influence whakapapa that someone may be able to provide sometime in the future. Thanks again for your help.
Kind regards,
William Kearney
nzworm@yahoo.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 June, 2005 8:47 am
Mealz OWC
(@mealz-owc)

Kia ora William

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon - but my grandparents are Lewis - Green. I am wanting to know more about them. Do we swing from the same Lewis Tree??? My grandmother's name is Mary Green (nee Lewis).

Cheers
Mealz

PS - sorry forgot to say - they were from Wairoa as well.

Edited by - Mealz on Nov 05 2005 11:30:49 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2005 11:29 pm
nzworm OWC
(@nzworm-owc)

Kia Ora Mealz,

If you would like to email me I will pass on what (limited) knowledge I have.

Regards,
William

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 8:34 am
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

Would you know if the Green and Lewis whanau connect to Rangiahua Marae?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 5:15 pm
tell OWC
(@tell-owc)

Hi William, my name is Chantelle. We have the same great great grandmother. My Great Uncle, Michael Kearney has done some extensive research into our family history. Mokai Ratana's father was John Lewis (Jack Muck). He came to NZ on the HMS Buffalo in 1840. As far as is known,he married or lived with Mokai Taraipine. Family legend has it that Mokai came from the northern Ngapuhi tribe - having been captured during a raid and brought south to the Wairoa district by the Ngati Kahoneunu (spelling!)people. She had 4 children - which are believed to be Emilia, Jack, Charlie and Lisa. Emilia Lewis AKA Miria Lewis or Miria Mokai. Hope this helps. i have most the birth and death dates.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2006 9:55 pm
Craig OWC
(@craig-owc)

Hi there,
I am reseaching John Lewis & Mokai TeMano/Taraipine.
I am Craig Kearney sounds like we may be related, my great great grandmother was Miria Mokai Lewis, I have some of the info you have talked about but a lot of it is unverified,I would be very keen to get in touch to put together some of the pieces.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 March, 2006 6:44 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

did emily lewis have the middle name jane? was she bought up by her aunt katherine emily parker and uncle william parker?, from wellington? was she born in Patea around 1896? post a reply if so as she was my gt grandmothers cousin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 December, 2006 2:58 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora NZ Worm, below is what I have on your Tupuna

Tiranu = Ketewhakataha
Wano = Tarakihe
Putanui Te Wano = Jack Lewis
Miria Mokai Lewis = Wm Hny Rogers

and

Te Watawhaiti = Makuratea
Tarakihe = Wano
Putanui
Miria

I relate to you like many other descendants of Putanui still living in Hawkes Bay. Happy New Year

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 December, 2006 9:27 am
Jeni OWC
(@jeni-owc)

quote:

Kia ora William

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon - but my grandparents are Lewis - Green. I am wanting to know more about them. Do we swing from the same Lewis Tree??? My grandmother's name is Mary Green (nee Lewis).

Cheers
Mealz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2007 3:08 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

just to let everyone know i have found the Lewis link i was looking for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 March, 2007 8:09 pm
wmarsh OWC
(@wmarsh-owc)

Kia ora Mealz

Is our mothers name Betty?

My great grandfather was Toby Lewis, whose eldest daughter was Ruth (Ruta- my grandmother), and Ruths brother was Manapouri, who had a son named Manapouri, whose daughter was Mereana (Mary)- wh married Jack Green. I this correct?

quote:

Kia ora William

Cheers
Mealz

[/quote]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2007 6:51 am
Share: