Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MAKENE KERE, Kataraina  

RSS
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Looking for my great grand mother, her name is Kataraina Makene Kere. She was married to Te Waru/Hauhau Papa. The korero goes that she was taken from Waikato and her father or grandfather was
Te Whero Whero, the Maori King. She was born around 1864 and settled in Mangataipa. So if anyone knows of this person or her whanau please drop me a line or if you know of a different story to this korero, don't be shy, just tell me your version and if you have any photo's of her or her whanau, I will love to see them.

Posted : 28 March, 2005 10:35 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Lil,

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Makene in the Last Name box and set the country to New Zealand then hit the search, you will get quite a few results.

On the results page you will see the the right IGI/Southwest Pacific - over 23 so click this.

Scroll down to entry number 88 and 90 - this may be the person you are looking for. Also, have a look at some of the others there as they are some born in Mangataipa so they may be whanau also.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 12:24 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Thankyou for your reply, I have been to that site and it was really helpful but I'm looking for a story that was told to me and to see if it is true or not, if the story is true, I'm trying to find out how she or (her mother) actually ended up in Mangataipa or around those parts.
Anyway, thankyou for input.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 9:13 am
Phebs OWC
(@phebs-owc)

Tena Koe
Lil ka nui nga mmihi marika kia koe.
My mothers madien Name is Makene and she was born and bred in Mangataipa. she is now 81 I will ask her she knows of that name. I do know there is a connection to Tainui and will ask my aunties and I'm not sure if my mum can recall the name. There are lots of Makene whanau still living in Mangataipa.
Noho ora mai Phbes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 April, 2005 3:40 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora Phebs

This is awesome. My ggrandmother other surname was Keremeneta or Kere, her dad was Te Maunga Kere. Could you also give me some info on the Tainui connection, I have been looking for my grandmother (Aherata Puru nee:Te Waru Papa B:1903-1949) for a while and thats why I've been trying find my ggrandmother to see if they knew my nana around those areas.
Please keep me in touch, my email is lillypu4@hotmail.com .
Warm regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2005 10:02 pm
Phebs OWC
(@phebs-owc)

Kia ora ano Lil I spoke with my mum and she dosen't recall that name... I will ask an older sister as well she might know. If you contact radio Tautoko at Mangamuka, Cyril, their station Manager maybe able to help you as well...I think he may know the Tainui connection.
No reira Kia kaha tonu koe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 April, 2005 7:23 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora Phebs
I will contact Cyril, if you know anything more or find out more pleasse keep posting it or email me. i really appreciate this help.
Warm regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2005 5:49 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora Phebs
Thankyou for that contact, he was wonderful and now we have each others emails so we can keep in contact. If you find out more please post it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 May, 2005 11:24 am
Phebs OWC
(@phebs-owc)

Kia ora Lil

Ka nui te mihi kia ia
cool I'm pleased you hooked up with him....hes a cool cuzzie, and he has alot of info too.
I hope to see my whanau soon and will ask them about your kuia.
Noho ora mai Phebs

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 May, 2005 3:56 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora phebs
My nana's other name is Hazel Te Waru and her mother is Kataraina Makene-Kere. My nana grew up in Mangataipa as well.
Warm regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2005 11:39 pm
heni mcgroder OWC
(@heni-mcgroder-owc)

Kia ora phebs

My mothers name is Makere Taukiri Makene She was whangai to an aunty in Waikato (the korero is something like that)then she went back to Mangataipa. She married William Harris my father and his korero is he met her in Te Kuiti playing Hockey. He fell in love with her and thought she was of Waikato origin, but, you know they come from the same Tupuna. He was from Christopher Harris and Auparo and she from Christopher Harris and Ngahuia. My mother gave me my name from Waikato area. Heniturama. My married name is Heni Mcgroder and I live in Perth. there is lots of korero email me.

tena koe

Heni

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 November, 2006 2:15 am
Share: