Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MANIHERA: searching for descendants of Manihera whanau of Tai tokerau  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@maoriboy7xtra-co-nz-owc)

Kia ora, am trying to find out the links between my great grandmother and members of the Manihera whanau who lie at rest in the urupa located down Cemetary Rd, Maunu.(not the public Maunu cemetary).
It is a very old burial site which back in the day provided a place for eternal rest for our tipuna. Both my great grandparents are buried there. The surname Manihera appears on several large headstones (one stone has the name Irihapeti Manihera) and are positioned next to where my koroua/kuia lie.
I have searched several sites (including LDS genealogy sites) and have bits and pieces of info on the name Manihera from Tai tokerau.
If anyone out there is willing to share what history or whanau connections they may have or know in relation to this urupa i would be most grateful.

Posted : 19 November, 2005 6:11 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora e hoa,

The name Kauwhata comes to mind. Manihera Kauwhata had many children, and some of his descendants would have adopted his first name as their surname, which was a common practise regarding whakapapa. This is only a suggestion, and may lead you towards the Manihera Whanau you seek.
All the best!

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 12:20 am
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC

Tena koe Hohaia2, thank you for your help. I will follow up on the name Manihera Kauwhata and will let you know how i get on. Thank you again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 9:37 am
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

On the Pakotai Roll Of Honour there a couple of Manihera. Can't remember their 1st names but will check it out for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2005 7:17 am
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC

Thankyou for that Taimona, much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2005 7:58 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

I relate to two branches of Manihera, can you give me more info on your interest...offline if you prefer

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 November, 2005 8:27 pm
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC

I have sent you a private message re my interest. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 10:20 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

I spoke with a cousin the other day concerning the urupa pass the Maunu Public Cemetery. I have yet to visit it, so I'm unsure whom the tupuna they lay at rest there. I have a strong feeling that there is a connection with Manihera Miramira, a tupuna from Kororareka [Russell] and Te Rawhiti. Kairau Manihera had 2 sons to a tupuna from here [Te Rawhiti] named Riwia Weera [Wells]. Riwia also had another relationship with Whiu Hau [Howe] from here also. My cousin is a son of Whiu and Riwia Hau [Howe].
The alternative name this Manihera whanau use is Maunsell.
Do these any of these names ring a bell to you? Wells or Weera; Hunia; Howe or Hau; Manihera or Maunsell. There are also connections with the Manihera line at Te Ahuahu [Hapu: Te Uri Taniwha].
Just giving you possibilities to follow.

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 April, 2006 11:08 pm
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

Have a small bit of whakapapa for Iritana Manihera from Pakotai. Email me so I can forward it on. Cant cut and paste with this web site!!! Has a few notes with it from a book on New Zealand women.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 April, 2006 1:36 pm
sista_brown OWC
(@sista_brown-owc)

There are a couple of Maunsell-Kauwhata that reside in Kaikohe. If you want I can check to see whether there is a connection with your whanau m/b.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 April, 2006 7:44 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Hi Taimona,

Can you send it to me at this email addy please @:
hohaia2@kol.co.nz

Thanx!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2006 12:24 am
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC

Thank you all for sharing this information.Any help is much appreciated. I have emailed you Hohaia 2 about the whanau names you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Edited by - maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz on Apr 23 2006 11:54:14 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 April, 2006 11:50 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Tirarau Manihera and Kairau Manihera were brothers. Their father was Renata Manihera.
Renata's father was Manihera.
Kairau and Riwia Adelaide Weera [Wells] had 2 sons, Tom and Donald Maunsell. The parents of Riwia were Hone Weera and Marara Hunia.
Donald Maunsell died in WWII. The following is from the Commonwealth War & Graves Commission records:
21451, New Zealand Infantry
who died age 32
on 02 June 1941
Son of Kairau Maunsell and of Ada Maunsell (nee Wells).
Manihera's ancestors were of Ngapuhi and Ngai Tahuhu.

na Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 May, 2006 5:56 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

I have found if you hightlight your text go to edit click copy then you can make a successful copy. Same goes when you want to paste use the edit tab.

quote:

Have a small bit of whakapapa for Iritana Manihera from Pakotai. Email me so I can forward it on. Cant cut and paste with this web site!!! Has a few notes with it from a book on New Zealand women.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 12:01 pm
maori girl 64 OWC
(@maori-girl-64-owc)

quote:

Kia ora, am trying to find out the links between my great grandmother and members of the Manihera whanau who lie at rest in the urupa located down Cemetary Rd, Maunu.(not the public Maunu cemetary).
It is a very old burial site which back in the day provided a place for eternal rest for our tipuna. Both my great grandparents are buried there. The surname Manihera appears on several large headstones (one stone has the name Irihapeti Manihera) and are positioned next to where my koroua/kuia lie.
I have searched several sites (including LDS genealogy sites) and have bits and pieces of info on the name Manihera from Tai tokerau.
If anyone out there is willing to share what history or whanau connections they may have or know in relation to this urupa i would be most grateful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2006 9:51 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: