Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MANUHIRI (NGAPORA): Hera  

RSS
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Finding info on Hera Manuhiri (Ngapora). She was the first wife for Tawhio Matutaera Te Wherowhero (the 2nd Maori King)and her father was Tamati Ngapora (Manuhiri). I know she had 3 children to Tawhio, but where did she go after that, was she taken (for peacemaking reasons) with a Ngapuhi Chief? or did she ever move up north (Mangataipa) and married Te-Maunga Kere around 1854. If anyone has any information about this wahine, don't hesitate to leave a message, positive or negative.

Thanks Lillian.

Posted : 03 April, 2005 4:13 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Lil,

If you go to www.familysearch.org set the country to New Zealand and search for the folling in the last name:

MANUHIRI
NGAPORA
which will give you info about Hera and Tamati

KERE
and click again on IGI/Southwest Pacific - over 23 to the right on the results page.

Do a search for Maunga on that page and you will find records for him, including some of his marriages. (If you use the [url="http://www.mozilla.org/"]Firefox Browser[/url] instead of IE, searching is alot easier

Although, be aware that the records here are not necessarily accurate, but gives a good idea of what may have happened

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 1:30 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Thank you for your reply.
I done that and been there, the problem is that I was wandering if Hera Manuhiri is the same lady that also married Te Maunga because I'm trying to find out a story that was told to me and trying to put the right story in place for our whakapapa.
Thanks once again, I really appreciate your help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 9:30 am
Share: