Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MARONA- Ancestry from Rarotonga  

RSS
Huia bird
(@huia-bird)

Kia orana"

Im looking for any info to do with the name "Marona" from Rarotonga.
I am a decendant of this name through my grandmother.
she moved from the Islands at age 16. We have only met a brother that once visited many years ago. (Ben) It would be very appreciated to hear from anyone, with any bit of infomation.
At my grandmother's tangi, we had the pleasure and honour to meet people from her (our) side of the whanau.
One day my mother and i, wish to travel to the Islands. But we want to go with the respect of knowledge of our tupuna and reo.

I am having no luck with the ancestry part. I hope this posting reaches the right place.

Ka kite' and thankyou'

Aroha Bay"

Posted : 08 September, 2007 10:19 pm
Mikey OWC
(@mikey-owc)

Hey Baycat - i have been looking at a lot of cook island taonga this year and researching in part the different islands through the cooks, migration, carving, tattooing etc & trying to find points of relation in early/ancient Maori Taonga.

I plan to take a trip there soon ( maybe new year?)
Do you know what island she is from?
Aitu, Raro, Mangaia, rakahanga etc.........
Pukapuka is unlike the others, its peoples language is closer to Samoan and also being relatively close geographically this makes sense!
Luckily the cooks still operate with a house of ariki's that is based on hereditary ( having a secured input in to government) - so whakapapa is still strong i would guess?
So you never know - if by chance i find something in my book worming or else where - i will let you know!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 September, 2007 8:33 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Orana koe,

Me no Rarotonga 'aia, ka 'aere 'ua atu ra koe ki Rarotonga rai, 'e, ka ui atu i te 'ui tupuna. E kite ana ratou ki a ratou 'uaorai, e rauka ana katoa i a ratou te to'uto'u atu ra iakoe ki te mataara tano. 'E meitaki 'ua to ratou kite'anga o te 'akapapa'anga o nga vaka o runga i te reira 'enua.

If she really was from Rarotonga, then all you need to do is go to Rarotonga itself and ask the old people. They all know each other, and they will point you in the right direction. They all have a good idea of the 'akapapa'anga (whakapaparanga) of each district (tapere/vaka) on that island.

Ko eta'i o nga Ngati ma'ata o Rarotonga ko Ngati Karika 'e Ngati Tangi'ia 'e Kainuku.

Some of the major iwi on Rarotonga are Ngati Karika, Ngati Tangi'ia and Kainuku.

Mei Ta'iti a Tangi'ia. Mei 'Amoa a Karika.

Tangi'ia came from Tahiti. Karika came from Samoa.

Kia manuia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 September, 2007 9:15 pm
Huia bird
(@huia-bird)

Kia Orana'

Thankyou "Mikey" that will be appreciated. When she talked of her home land, and showing her photos where she came from. she always ended it with "i dont want to go back now, it will have changed so much, it will not be the same." I understand this perfectly for her. We are proud of our Nan, and as her moko's are growing up, we just want to see all that we are made from. That way we can get a better understanding of ourselves aswell\

And "Tane Ariki" Your right. The true knowledge i seek, waits there.
Who knows how long we are on this earth. And apart from "aroha" this is one thing i wish to give my mother above all else.
You have made me ready to book the tickets!
we have talked of this trip for about 4 years say"
you made me realise this is 4 years of wasted time. thank you for making me get my "A" into "G"!!

Kia ora

Aroha Bay"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 September, 2007 10:07 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

All good! It will be pertinent that you take your mother's details and see the government as should be able to apply for citizenship. Your grand mother may have also rights of access to land over there so it pays to find out what has happened to your land. Those rights to land will also include rights of access to water.

Be careful with the stones around the marae over there. Don't touch them and don't travel at night alone. Most of all, make sure to visit Aotearoa house and visit the memorial of the canoes that sailed to Aotearoa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 September, 2007 10:57 pm
Mikey OWC
(@mikey-owc)

this looks interesting pity about the dollar$$$$$

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713682897~db=all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 September, 2007 2:22 am
Huia bird
(@huia-bird)

cheers' Tane ariki and Mikey"

yes she does have land rights over there.
She got an exciting phone call of her nephew from over there years ago, had come to nz to see her and the whanau. while on the phone he mentioned he was bring papers for her to sign the land over to him. (as she had been in nz for so long) On the phone she denied his request, upset saying that the land was for her children.

The sad thing about this phone call..........?
He never turned up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 September, 2007 12:52 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Then you need to get to Rarotonga post haste. He has probably taken the land. Your mother needs to prove she never gave consent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 September, 2007 2:29 pm
Huia bird
(@huia-bird)

Aue!

This is probably what has happened.
We only have oral recording from her mouth of what happened on the phone.

Would i be right in taking, birth and death certificates of nan, and proof of her signature, also mine and mums birth cert?

This is only a little part of the reason for going. I would rather see the land be put under some type of trust sceme that it cant be sold, and can only be handed down.
Im only following through with this side of the matter because of my nan's rights of choice in her decisions. I know one day, one of her own blood will want to move there, that's why i want it safe guarded for the person's that will take this journey.
The real reason that i wish to go is to learn of the her side that lives within us.
I know i will feel whole as a person. and not leaving a big part of me, a mystery.
I can take back this knowledge and share it with her forever growing whanau.

P.s If we are the makings of our Nan' with her mana for what is right. It will still be there, waiting for us. she was and still is one Hearty as grandma and i miss her.

much much aroha
bay"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 September, 2007 6:16 pm
Mikey OWC
(@mikey-owc)

Many people from home would indeed know her heart in this matter and vouch for what is right concerning the land!

all the best!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2007 12:50 am
Share: