Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MARTIN, Matena, Matete or Matenga, looking for my grandmother  

RSS
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

Kia ora whanau I'm looking for my paternal grandmother. My father Albert Martin was born in 1931 in Wellington. He lived with his mother and younger sister in Napier up until the age of seven. His mother was killed during a domestic dispute, so I've been told, and his father, Fong Chung came back from Auckland to legally adopt him, and to adopt his younger sister out. From what my father could tell me of his mum before he died, was that her name was Margaret, his younger sister's name was Phyllis and he recalled being in Napier around the time of the big quakes.(maybe he meant he was born during the quakes?) That's about all the info I have at the moment, I'm just hoping it might be enough to rattle a few memory banks out there, as my grandfathers subsequent children, (dads half sisters and brothers) are unable to help with much info as their dad never spoke of my dads mum ever again. I think because he was chinese, and this son was born out of wedlock, it wasn't exactly a subject he wanted to talk about. So anyways, if anyone can help, I would much appreciate it.

Edited by - Tina Martin on Jun 16 2007 3:47:48 PM

Posted : 08 August, 2005 7:45 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

The Martin name is known in Te Kuiti Maniapoto area. My aunty was married to Jimmy Martin and they raised their children in Meremere and Te Kuiti. Some of my cousins are living in Sydney and if you'd like any information my contact is catu@westnet.com.au

Edited by - wyllie on Aug 10 2005 9:52:01 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2005 9:50 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Martin, Matenga, is a Ngati Toa Name and also Ngati Raukawa name. Some links to Kawhia and Ngati Maniapoto/ Te Kuiti as Wyllie said, I cant help you with the information you have posted Tina sorry, Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 3:40 pm
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

Tena koe e whanau

Is Dick Martin relative?

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 5:20 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Tina,
Have you thought of getting your father's birth certificate. His birth certificate will give you his parents names and where they lived. By the sounds of things, if your grandfather was able to legally adopt the children he would of had to have shown some kind of legal document to claim that right. A birth certificate for your dad would be my first step.
I have a microfiche copy of all the Maori Birth Deaths and Marriages for New Zealand from 1911 - 1961 and can even look up your grandmother's birth certificate or her death certificate but you would need to know her full name as some of the names are registered in a number of ways, i.e. their christen name as their surname, their surname as their christen name and even under a transliteration of both of those. For instance if her name were Margaret Martin her name would also be found under Matene. However, if you want me to search for you just reply back I would be more thant happy to help. Funny thing is I have a friend living here in Perth and her name is Margaret Matene. Her husband is Dave, I will give him a ring and see if his whanau are from the Napier area! You never know...ka kite ano...Karen Berryman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 12:38 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Tina sent you a PM with URL for searching NZ archives -hope you make some progress -Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 7:53 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Well that didnt work as my mail was returned.
Here is the URL for NZ Archives
http://archway.archives.govt.nz/SimpleSearch.do

Try a simple search -the results are often better when you enter only the surname

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 7:59 pm
daveketi OWC
(@daveketi-owc)

kia ora, tina
i know of the matena whanau that are from
te koura marae,and are linked with Manipoto and ngati Hauaroa,between Te Kuiti and Taumuranui
some go under Martin,or Matena,not sure if they are the same lot across Napier.hope this helps you
or email:Daveketi@yahoo.com
ma te waa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2006 6:11 am
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

Arohamai whanau,
haven't been getting any e.mail updates from here sorry for not getting back, it's been a while. Kia ora koutou for all the information and advice, oh, and Huiabird, I dunno if I have an uncle by the name of Dick yet....will keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 April, 2006 12:20 am
Donna Martin OWC
(@donna-martin-owc)

Kia Ora Tina & Huiabird...I think the man you speak of is my Dad. His real name is Tiki Ellis Martin(Peraniko),but was later changed to Richard as te reo was forbidden at his school in Dannevirke, which later changed to Dick or some called him Dicky. My Dad parents(His Dad from Dannevirke, His Mum Ngahe Timu from Napier) made him work at a very young age in the Napier and Hastings area.He has many sisters and brothers and I have recently have become aware that the Martin's are having a family reunion in 2007. I'm not sure on the date's or venue but i'll be sure to post them should you like to know. I Wish you well in your search....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2006 3:08 pm
Tina Martin OWC
(@tina-martin-owc)

Kia ora whanau, long time no post. Lol. Just need to update a bit of information for my search. I've listed my dads birthdate as 1938, but it was 1931 when he was born. I really do appreciate all your postings, I've just been 'technically challenged' lately. If anyone would like to contact me on my e.mail its tina.martin@slingshot.co.nz.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2007 3:34 pm
m.matenga OWC
(@m-matenga-owc)

Kiaora whanau

Ko Tainui toku waka
Ko Ohautira toku awa
Ko Whaingaroa toku moana
Ko Punga Whakatihi toku maunga
Ko Waingaro toku marae
Ko Marzell Matenga ahau

Well whanau thats an introduction of who I am and where I come from on my dads side. My father whom is 1 of 15 siblings eldest son Hone Pumipi Matenga, his parents are Kura A Tai Whakaea Matenga (Sonny) & Huirangi Matenga nee Osborne.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2007 4:43 pm
Share: