Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MATAKATEA Wiremu also known as Te Matakatea or Moki  

RSS
Triscina OWC
(@triscina-owc)

I am looking for information of my great great great grandfather.He was from Taranaki.I am trying to trace back my ancestors and would love to hear of any information about them.I know he was a chief of Ngati Haumiti tribe and that he died 14 Feb 1893.Please help as I would love to know about my family history.

Posted : 14 April, 2005 10:31 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano Triscina,

Make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club and click full search then put MATAKATEA in the search box. You will get 2 results, this korero and another one. Visit that and there is a whole page dedicated to your tupuna.

Once you have read that, you can also put MATAKATEA into a google search and find other pages that talk about your tupuna - they may have other info that is not in the other one.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2005 11:18 am
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

HI...my partner's nanny was a Matakatea/Williams...she was from the Foxton Levin area. One of his cousins is intersted in the Matakatea whakapapa also...drop me a line if you want.
Aroha ....Foxton

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2005 4:27 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Wi Kingi Mata-Katea ( Ngati Haumia) earlier known as Moke was the leader of Te Namu pa which is situated on the headland of the right bank of the Otahi stream just north of Opunake. One Kilometre from my whare . ( Tales of Te Namu and Hori Teira) by Erin M. Griffin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2005 5:36 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Tena Te Matakatea, Wiremu Kingi Moki

Principle chief of Ngati Haumiti hapu of Taranaki
Much of him is written in a book called "The Many faces of Pigs" sounds uuh! but yeah that is the name. not sure on the author though as we were given extracts from the book which was backed up by many of the elders down here in Ngaruahine rangi and the whanau of Wai O Kura Marae.

I wish you good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2005 12:58 pm
Share: