Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MATIAHA Taramaiwhatu  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
ngatiwilson OWC
(@ngatiwilson-owc)

Seeking descendents of Taramaiwhatu with view to compiling booklet - any information re family, Ngati Makirangi etc greatly appreciated.

Posted : 21 June, 2005 7:36 pm
Hakaboy OWC
(@hakaboy-owc)

Kia ora Lisa,
I would be very interested in your booklet and will help out if i also find information about anything to do with ngati Makirangi as that is my mothers Hapu. Mums parents were Jock Te Hau Moana and Parehiko Henare, she was brought up by nana's sister Lucy Henare who married Peter Wilson. If i find out more, will contact you.
Kia ora mai
Julian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2005 3:15 pm
ngatiwilson OWC
(@ngatiwilson-owc)

Kia Ora Hakaboy/Julian - My husband Tumua was raised by Arahia - Peter's second wife - who is your Mum? Taramaiwhatu's descendents meet every two months as we strive towards getting a building up back at Mangapiko - next one first Sunday in Sept. Are you in Waikato we're in Ngaruawahia if you'd like to meet up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2005 8:28 pm
Hakaboy OWC
(@hakaboy-owc)

Tena koe Lisa, thank you for the email. I was bought up in Ngaruawahia and work for Waikato Raupatu Lands Trust in Hopuhopu and live in huntly, so yes i would like to meet up some time. My mothers name is Jessie Te Huia Wilson/Moana and was bought up with Aunty Daphne, Lucy, katie and Marjorie. I spoke to mum about Arahia and she knew her as Kathleen (Kath). Please send me an email and we can talk over lunch?
E noho ra
Julian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 July, 2005 2:21 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena korua

I realise your postings are almost a year old but I thought you may be interested to know a little more about Ngati Makirangi.

I am from Matahuru pa. We are in the process of registering as one of Ngati Maikrangi marae. As ngatiwilson correctly stated, we too are Makirangi descendents, as well as Ngati Mahuta, Mahanga,Kohua, Pou, Paoa, Kahu(Maniapoto)We realise that that in Tainui traditions the whenua we now occupy is on the border of Waikato and Hauraki, the boundary being the Hapuakohe ranges. This land was gifted to Rakataura, tohunga of the tainui waka by the chief Hoturoa, as reward for his expert guidance in safely navigating the waka to Aotearoa. It is said that this was the first land claimed by Tainui. Makirangi is a descendent of Rakataura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 September, 2006 12:31 am
Hakaboy OWC
(@hakaboy-owc)

tena koe matahuru, thank you for that information. I didnt realise that Makirangi was a descendant of Rakataura, but it seems to make sense. Thank you for this information. Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2006 10:51 am
ngatiwilson OWC
(@ngatiwilson-owc)

Too much matahuru!! I'm keen to get a copy of that lineage do you know where it may be available? Hi Julian, long time no write aye!! Our next big whanau hui is on 12 November out on the farm at Mangapiko at 10am if you're keen. Progress on getting a building is happening slowly but surely. I hope Rakataura's prowess in navigation may continue to guide us on this journey!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 September, 2006 2:08 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena korua ngatiwilson raua ko hakaboy

I have also tried to find that particular whakapapa however it has not been easy. The source for that particular korero is a whanaunga of yours who I will just call Tuku. You should know who I am talking about. Being whanau I am sure he would not mind passing on to you more of what he knows and it is considerable.

He said that the whakapapa was hidden out of respect for the paramount line of Tainui as it was not considered polite to recite it in the presence of our Ariki. However as a result of this there would be very few who would know it.

Having said that here is more of what I know.

Our papakainga is called Matahuru. Directly out from at lake Waikare next to the sacred hill called Pukewhau, there was once a place called Okurakehu. This is a very old name that goes back a few hundred years.

It was the home of Te Ruinga, a warrior of the Ngati Makirangi involved in a skirmish with local Chiefs of the day (see Lesley Kelly, 'Tainui' under Tapaue.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 September, 2006 4:07 pm
Hakaboy OWC
(@hakaboy-owc)

Tena korua,
All i have heard from Tuku is that Makirangi was (and in his own words) an "eponymous ancestress" renown herself as a tohunga. I am still working on how my grandparents are linked to Makirangi. Well, hopefully time will help out.
Will be in touch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 September, 2006 4:19 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Looking at your parents names I can at least say you are indeed Makirangi and it looks like both sides. Henare, Moana, Matiaha, Wirihana and Piripi are some of the principle families in the Makirangi area.

History tells us that the main line may have been absorbed by conquest or marriage/or both by Ngati Paoa as a reliable source still living in that area now states that the principle hapu/iwi is now Paoa. When this happened is as yet unclear, however a similar story exists in our immediate area and seems to point to the late 1700's or early 1800's.

Before that, Ngati Makirangi territory started from Te-Hoe-o-Tainui, along Hapuakohe ranges to Lake Waikare. It then divided the lake in half and continued to the Waikato river. From there it travelled to Taupiri maountain and turned down the Mangawara stream from there it returned via Piako and one other, the name now eludes me, back to Te-Hoe-o-Tainui.

There may be one other person that may know something. He has been used by Tuku on occasion as has the first source I mentioned. Will get back to you on that one.

Paimarire

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 September, 2006 6:53 pm
ngatira OWC
(@ngatira-owc)

Tena koutou

It is very interesting to read the assumption that Ngati Makirangi was absorbed through conquest/marriage. I come from both lines and each of these hapu are an iwi of their own standing. Ngati Makirangi has in no way been absorbed, and certainly not by Ngati Paaoa. Ngatin Paaoa is only used as the principle hapu when one has made application to the Tainui Trust Board for support in the form of a grant. My whanau have never taken Ngati Paaoa on as their principle hapu other than in that of seeking financial education support. I would be really interested in knowing the source of your information - "When this happened is as yet unclear, however a similar story exists in our immediate area and seems to point to the late 1700's or early 1800's."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2006 5:26 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena Koe Ngatira

I agree that Ngati Makirangi is still well and truly alive as we continue to use it as our principle hapu as do others. Maybe absorbed was to strong a word as they do exist independently. However I would like to point out that there are only a handful of names currently registered under Ngati Makirangi with Tainui. Maybe it is time for us to shift from our current hapu affiliation to Ngati Makirangi?

The source for this korero is a kui from Te Hoe (Kihitu) whom, judging from your name, you will also know. I will not disclose her name as she only confirmed what I had heard from both my tupuna and Ngati Paoa descendents and whakapapa and I can assure you I was as surprised as you are. I would also like to point out that she spoke only for her area. Not others. All she said was Ngati Paoa is the iwi/hapu of that area.

Here is how I heard it from my Tupuna who has now passed on. As I relate this korero I wish to say that my intention is not to offend anyone in any way. The search of truth is my only objective and if I do not have it right then I would appreciate correction or differing views.

In Matahuru before the land confiscations of 1863, there existed a fortified pa on top of Pukewhau which stands next to lake Waikare.

One day it was attacked by an invading war party. The invaders soon overwhelmed the pa and prisoners were taken. After 3 days of carrying water from lake Waikare to Pukewhau, they were executed and thrown into the lake at a place called Owaro, an old name no longer used.

My tupuna pointed pointed out that this is why we go into the Matahuru valley to obatin our eels as the lake, for us at least, is tapu.

This was further confrimed when speaking with a relative of mine from Ngati Paoa and well versed in its history. After hearing my version he then said that this was correct and the invading party was Ngati Paoa and according to him, evidence of which can be found in the Hauraki Maori Land Court records.

My whanau from Ngati Paoa recently told me that they have a claim in the Waitangi Tribunal regarding mana whenua status of that area. When I mentioned Makirangi to him, he agreed that if thats what it would take to unify all the current tangata whenua in that area who are as you so rightly say, are both Ngati Paoa and Ngati Makirangi, then he would support in principle. Kotahitanga being the main objective.

We at Matahuru maintain that Ngati Makirangi is our principle hapu. Regardless of what battle went on where. We now have affiliations to almost every other iwi, hapu of tainui that exists today, Ngati Paoa being one of them.

If you would like to check this korero with anyone you think is appropriate, fell free to do so.

Paimarire

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2006 4:15 pm
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Kia ora Matahuru....Who is the person you refer to as having been used by "Tuku" on occasion? Or should that be Tuko? Do you know of a Makirangi living in more later years than the one this list is referring to? one who was born in 19th century and died in 20th century....who lived her younger years in the Ohinewai area....You say Makirangi was a descendant of Rakataura...how many generations back from Makirangi was Rakataura?...You also mentioned that Matahuru was the home of Te Ruinga...Is their a connection between this Te Ruinga and one who lived at Matahuru in the late 1880's?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 December, 2006 2:48 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena koe e teeta

Arohamai e hoa na te mea kahore au e hoki mai ki konei e kite ou patai ki ahau.

I apologise for not replying to your post, now six months old. I will do my best to answer your questions.

The person I refer to as Tuku..is Tuku, not Tuko. Without trying to sound obnoxious, I do not think he would appreciate me giving his full name out on this thread. Lets just say, if you know anything about this are, then you will know Tuku I am referring to.

As discussed privately, yes I have heard of the woman Makirangi that you speak of. To me she would be my grand aunty. Her dad was Tohi Ariki and his brother Nika Putere was my Great grand father. His other brothers were Wanihi, Nuku, Te Ruinga and their sister was Paeroa. Whether they all shared the same parents is unknown as whangai was commonplace in those days, and so was adultery.

My sources have told me that Makirangi ( of ngati Maki rangi) was a mokopuna of Rakataura, so using that time line she is somewhere between 20 and 26 generations back.

In relation to the Te Ruinga that lived in Matahuru around 1880 and the one I spoke of at the time of Tapaue, I have not found a direct connection, but I am looking. Te Ruinga Putere was the youngest of my Great grand fathers brothers. The Te Ruinga mentioned previous to that lived around the 1550's's to the 1650's approximately. Long before the arrival of the Pakeha.

The connection I am guessing is one of descent, however I cannot as yet prove that.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 July, 2007 3:28 pm
moanawhanau OWC
(@moanawhanau-owc)

kia ora whanau!
im a late starter in terms of finding out about my roots, and some of the names in this forum are part of my fathers whakapapa, so im just writing to say im looking & learning. Its been a while since the first posting so whats happening? ........tuitui koinaki, tamatahi moana are my dads parents, hakopa te ruinga his grandad. hope to see an update soon. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 November, 2007 8:41 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: