Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MAXWELL: Searching for info  

RSS
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

My mother is maori and is related to the Maxwell whanau(mainly from Taranaki)but she has family up in Auckland as I think her grandfathers marae is the one between Clevedon and Maraetai beach.Would appreciate any info big or small.All i have is my Great-grandfathers name "Tamaki Maxwell".I am also interested in finding out where the "Maxwell" name comes from(doesnt sound too maori to me).Cheers!

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 08 2005 12:11:46 AM

Posted : 18 December, 2004 8:35 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora bFORCe,

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and choose the search button then put in Tamaki for the first name and Maxwell for the surname and then change the country to New Zealand you will find information of a Tamaki Maxwell.

Note, not all information in this site is accurate but it is a good place to start.

Good Luck!

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Feb 05 2005 2:39:07 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2005 12:27 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora

There are many of us searching for our NZ Maxwell heritage and a group of us have been using the following website to communicate through www.clanmaxwellusa.com/genealog.htm Go to FORUM and enter- Thomas Maxwell New Zealand in the search engine.It should not take you long to find us- your whanau from Umupuia and Torere maraes

Edited by - markonijoy on Aug 05 2005 01:25:02 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2005 3:08 am
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

There are Maxwell's living in Gisborne and Hastings.
My husband's nanny was Ada Maxwell,she lived in Manutuke.

Edited by - wyllie on Aug 10 2005 9:46:51 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2005 9:45 pm
makiwhara OWC
(@makiwhara-owc)

Thomas Maxwell was a shipwright from Aberdeen &
arrived in the Bay of Islands on Oct.26,1826 on the barque"Rosanna"captained by Herd for the First NZ Co.He&5 others stayed there,known as "scotch mechanics".Worked for Gilbert Mair for a while,had a grog shop for better class,moved to Waiheke Is.1837.Drowned 1842.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 4:05 pm
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

Thanks all,both the websites are very useful if searching for Maxwell or other Ancestors.Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 9:07 am
Share: