Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MOANANUI/TEMOANANUI, Manaia Corromandel  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Trying to find out some information about the Manaia area where my ancestor is supposed to be buried. His name is Wikitoria Moa/Moananui and his father was Romana Moananui and apparently there are some burial caves near Manaia in the Corromandel? There must be a marae linked nearby and I am told that my ancestors name is carved in the entryway to the marae. Does anyone have a knowledge of this marae, which one it could be? I have never been to the area and would love to hear from anyone with knowledge about it

Posted : 02 April, 2005 10:29 am
Deahne Coulter OWC
(@deahne-coulter-owc)

Manaia Marae is on the way to Thames...I come from that Marae but am only learning about it myself. My e-mail address is lambchop_dc@hotmail.com if you want to contact me. I am going to Manaia tomorrow for 2 days. My name is Deahne Coulter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 7:22 am
Tanya Brott OWC
(@tanya-brott-owc)

Tena Koe Mel - We have Wikitoria's Whakapapa in a book by JAW Steedman "Nga Ohaaki o nga Whanau o Tauranga Moana". It doesn't have anything about where he is buried tho - Arohanui, Tanya

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2005 9:46 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Hi Tanya, good to hear from you, hope your research is going well. What does the book say, does it just list the lineage or does it have infor about the marae, tribal links etc., any dates? my home email is mylesferris@aol.com I can't get hold of the book at the moment because i'm in the uk although I might have a look on ebay or something!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2005 6:40 am
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

My mother's from Ahimia Manaia and she's buried in the family cemetry on the hill. I could help you with some information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2005 5:14 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

I would like to find out more about the book " Nga Ohaaki o nga whanau o Tauranga Moana".

Edited by - wyllie on Apr 22 2005 3:37:36 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2005 5:21 pm
Apirana OWC
(@apirana-owc)

quote:

Trying to find out some information about the Manaia area where my ancestor is supposed to be buried. His name is Wikitoria Moa/Moananui and his father was Romana Moananui and apparently there are some burial caves near Manaia in the Corromandel? There must be a marae linked nearby and I am told that my ancestors name is carved in the entryway to the marae. Does anyone have a knowledge of this marae, which one it could be? I have never been to the area and would love to hear from anyone with knowledge about it

Kia ora, My name is Phillipa Moore, My fathers name is Roman Moore, my grandfather had the same name. I was told my grandfathers parents was a Tapsell and a Rapana. He was born in Maketu but was taken up north and brought up by Wi Te Moananui. Then the name changed to Moore after that. However I am not so sure about this korero because I do not know the connection with the Coromandel even though it keeps popping up. So if anybody can help me in researching about my fathers whakapapa on this side it will be much appreciated. Trying to find out whakapapa. Oh Ive also heard of Ani Brott, any clues????

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 9:53 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

I know Robert Te Moananui from Paeroa. Is he any relation?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 August, 2005 1:35 am
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Apirana- kia ora Phillipa. I think I may have your line! Wikitoria TeMoananui and Ani Brott had a child Roman Moore who married Ngahiraka Walker. I have 10 children listed for this couple, one of them being Roman Moore, but nothing further on this line. I have the birth and death dates for a Roman Moore b. 29 Mar 1938 at Tamaterau, Whangarei d.1 Apr 1959. Not sure which Roman these dates link to. Do you know any more about Wi TeMoananui? Because Roman snr had a brother called William who was probably Wi, who would have been his uncle. I have not heard of the names Tapsell and Rapana yet but there are plenty of gaps on this line. Hope this helps, and will continue to try and make the links!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 August, 2005 11:10 pm
Apirana OWC
(@apirana-owc)

quote:

Apirana- kia ora Phillipa. I think I may have your line! Wikitoria TeMoananui and Ani Brott had a child Roman Moore who married Ngahiraka Walker. I have 10 children listed for this couple, one of them being Roman Moore, but nothing further on this line. I have the birth and death dates for a Roman Moore b. 29 Mar 1938 at Tamaterau, Whangarei d.1 Apr 1959. Not sure which Roman these dates link to. Do you know any more about Wi TeMoananui? Because Roman snr had a brother called William who was probably Wi, who would have been his uncle. I have not heard of the names Tapsell and Rapana yet but there are plenty of gaps on this line. Hope this helps, and will continue to try and make the links!

Kia ora. Thank you for your reply. Yes you are correct. Roman and Ngahiraka are my grandparents, my father was the youngest, he passed on last year. I am the youngest of my generation. Majority of us have no clue about our grandfathers side and where he comes from, thats why I have been researching it at the moment. The only korero I had to go on is in the last email. We have no relationship or contact with anyone in the coromandel or anyone from his side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2005 1:29 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Ok sounds like you need to do some serious korerorero with family members and get some names and dates! Well you can contact me at mylesferris@aol.com and I can let you know what little I know about the TeMoananui line and hopefully we can help each other a bit from here on. Hope to hear from you soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 August, 2005 11:31 am
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

kia ora

Thought I drop in & say hi to all the
te moananui whanau.
I'm the first mokopuna of my grandparent
Emily Te Moananui & Peta Karu.
Uncle sonny karu was their only male (2nd born) has just been buried on the 5th august 2005 at waiomu urupa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 August, 2005 10:02 pm
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Tena koe
My whanau and I live here in Manaia, Waiau/Coromandel. You are correct there is a Tomo/Urupa on Tawera Hill where we live. There are no carvings in or on Manaia Marae, however we do have a concrete arch leading into the carpark of the Marae. There are names on there and I can check for you. If you would like photo's of the Marae...email: Donna.Leef@xtra.co.nz
I will also try and find some info on your Tupuna

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 August, 2005 11:37 pm
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Tena koe ano Mena
I have taken a couple of photo's and emailed them to you also I found the information you are looking for. Check your email and good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 September, 2005 9:13 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Tena Koe
My great grand mother was Te Uru her parents being Peke Tupaea (son of Poata Makuini Te Moananui and Haora Tupaea) and Ihipera. Our whanau has grown up with out the joy of knowing which marae we connect to just the hapu name of Ngati tamatera would be nice to connect up with anyone who can afiliate with our whanau could you possibly have these names too?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 December, 2005 9:02 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: