Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MURIWAI, Brown Te Wairua  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON MY GRANDFATHER FROM MY MOTHERS SIDE. ALL I KNOW IS THAT HE LIVED IN UTAKURA ( I HOPE THAT IS HOW IT IS SPELT) IT IS SOMEWHERE UP PAST WHANGAREI. MY GRANDDAD WAS AN ORATOR FOR THE MAORI PEOPLE SO I AM TOLD.

HIS WIFE DIED WHEN MY MOTHER WAS ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD.

MY MOTHER'S NAME IS PUHI ROSE MURIWAI AND I KNOW SHE HAD A SISTER NAMED CHARLOTTE AND ANOTHER MARGARET AND A BROTHER NAMED JOHN. THERE WERE OTHER CHILDREN TO A SECOND MARRIAGE AND I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THEIR NAMES.

MY NAME IS RAIMA

MANY THANKS

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:14:50 PM

Posted : 04 December, 2004 1:42 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora My Island Home,

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and do a search for the surname Muriwai and change the country to New Zealand you will find quite a few Muriwai from Utakura, which may help you with connections. But you have to remember that the info here may not be accurate, however it is a great place to start

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 12:52 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Kia Ora Poutokomanawa

Wow what a mouthful, what does your name mean? It is beauatiful.

Anyway thank you so much I found records of my grandfather and grandmother but only 2 children were listed so I need to look a bit further.

Thank you so much

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 2:34 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano

It is a priviledge to be able to awhi others, and I so appreciate you letting me know how you got on

Poutokomanawa is the centre support pole of a whare tupuna, and symbolises the heart of the whare. (manawa is heart)

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 4:07 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Thank you Poutokomanawa

I found my grandfather but only two of his children are listed, and when I put in my mothers name or my fathers name the search comes up empty.

Can you tell me why that is or is there anywhere else I can look?

As well as this What is a Whare Tupuna?

Thank you again

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 9:45 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano

Alot of the records at the Family Search are not linked, so firstly you would need to go through all of the Muriwai ones - yep all 111 of them!

Then there is spelling and name variations, for example you used the name BROWN TE WAIRUA MURIWAI for this post and at family search there is a Te Wairau Paraone Muriwai (with Wairua spelt different and Paraone for Brown) as well as a Tewairua or Paraone Muriwai (with Tewairua as one word).

When I was looking there for my father's whanau I saw some names I did not know, but after looking at the records and thinking about it, I realised that the name used was another one for one of my aunties, that we did not know about.

Also, I have found that the best way to search is to use a surname only and if I get no results I change a vowel and see what I can get, because if there has been a typo then the search will not necessarily come up with the variation

Whare Tupuna is one of the names used for the Meeting house that is part of the Marae complex. [url="http://www.maori.org.nz/tikanga/?d=page&pid=sp30&parent=26"]Here[/url] is a link to the Marae complex with an explanation and drawings for the parts of a Whare - at the maori.org.nz site of course!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 1:25 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Kia ora Poutokomanawa

Thank you, I thought as much, then this will take a bit of time and I will keep in touch.

Thank you for your help and thank you for your guidance through all of this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 4:17 pm
shannon OWC
(@shannon-owc)

Kia Ora MY ISLAND HOME
Just joined and was wondering if you connected with the whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 March, 2005 3:45 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Hi Shannon

No I have not connected with them yet. I am still looking. I have been away from home for so long I kind of feel alien to it all.

Thanks for asking

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2005 10:38 pm
shannon OWC
(@shannon-owc)

Hello, My Island Home.
I am currently on a programme with 2 people father and son.Cameron {father}, and Te Wairua{son}. Cameron tells me that his father is John and his mother was Camellia. Do any of these names sound familiar. I believe Brown was John's father.Did your mother live in Otangarei Whangarei.Also this family are from Utukura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 March, 2005 9:55 pm
Iri Whatia Morgan OWC
(@iri-whatia-morgan-owc)

Hi, My Island Home.
I am Iri, a decendant of Pairama. whose sister Ruta had Erana who had your Tupuna Paraone(Brown) Muriwai. I live in Utakura.
A grandson of Paraone, Aubrey Muriwai, lives in Paraones' home in Utakura to this day. The previous korero from Shannon is correct - John (Paraones' son) lives in Whangarei, I think with his daughter Louise. His son Cameron lives in Whangarei also.
Paraone has other sons still alive to 2nd wife - Eva Ripia - Dennis & Eddie Muriwai.
Paraones' sister Charlotte is survived by her many children - they hail from there Dads' area Ahipara.
Good Luck with your search - you have a large whanau, aside from those like myself, your extended whanau.
Hope this little bit helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 July, 2005 7:18 pm
Muriwai OWC
(@muriwai-owc)

Kia ora all, My name is Erana Muriwai and I am a descendant of Te Wairua Muriwai. My father is Eddie Muriwai who is Browns' 3rd son from his second marriage. I dont really have any information on our Grandfather, but from what I was told as a child, is that he was a very strong-minded individual, who loved his family and his people.
Naku noa
Erana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 October, 2005 2:16 pm
hetetjinny OWC
(@hetetjinny-owc)

Kia ora
My Name is Gayle Hapurona. My Nana was Maro Muriwai.All the information that i have read coincides with information i have reseached. The name Hepehi has strong connection. The late wife of Paraone Muriwai was a sister to my Grandfather. Her name was Patu whakairi Hapurona from Motatau.correcting my mishap.....The first wife of Paraone was Waiataahua Hapurona and the name i mentioned Patuwhakairi Mitai was Waiataahua's mother. Evelyn Charlotte Ripia was Paraone Muriwai 2nd wife....

Edited by - hetet/jinny on Apr 07 2008 10:07:21 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2006 9:43 am
parukuri OWC
(@parukuri-owc)

YES THE MURIWAI DID COME FROM UTAKURA AND YES JOHN MURIWAI IS STILL ALIVE MY GRANMOTHER WAS MARO MURIWAI JOHN'S SISTER SHE MARRIED KEREI HAPURONA AS MY SIS JINNY HETET HAS IT WRONG YES I DID KNOW AUNTY MARGARET, PARAONE MURIWAI WAS THE TIPUNA, THEY ORIGINATE FROM THERE. YES AS WAS WRITTEN FARTHER UP THE PAGE AUBREY IS ONE OF JOHN'S SON MY STEPFATHER IS JOHN'S NEPHEW MARO MURIWAI'S SON

Edited by - parukuri on Nov 11 2007 5:59:51 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 November, 2007 5:38 pm
seymour
(@seymour)

Hello, I am researching the Cochrane family and believe that Erana is a half sister to Mary Cochrane.
Leanne Jackson has published a book called
"Connecting Cochranes". Erana's mother Ruth/Ruta
was the wife of Denis Cochrane.
Mary's husband came from Utakura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2007 10:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: