Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGATAI: Ngati Porou and MANIHERA:Tuhoe  

RSS
Evey OWC
(@evey-owc)

I am looking for any connections to my grandparents and their whanau.
My Paternal Grandfather was Arapeta Ngatai, who married Matekino Akena, they raised their children in Tiki Tiki, and the children went to school in Rangitukia. I am looking for a connection to any relations that might have been involved with WW1.

My Maternal Grandfather was Ira Koihu Manihera, who married Ringatu Parekowhai Titoki. My grandafther married again and is now buried beside his second wife in Waiohau, Whakatane. I am also seeking connection to relations that were involved with WW1 from his side of the whanau too.

I would appreciate any feed back

Posted : 18 February, 2005 2:13 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe Tiaa

As a starting point for searching whanau/tupuna check out the below site.

http://www.familysearch.org

When you search for a tupuna who only has one name, put that name in the surname box as that is how you find tupuna with one name only.

The best way to confirm where a whanau is from is through the Maori Land Court (MLC) records, as land is usually inherited through whakapapa and blood.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2005 8:05 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Tiaa,

Another place you could try could be the [url="http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx"]Commonwealth War Graves Commission[/url] who have the records for those who died in both World Wars. The information is quite good, giving where they were buried and quite often their parents.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2005 2:11 am
margrette
(@margrette)

tena koe
Their were several of the Ngatai whanau who did go to ww2

most descend from Hoani Ngatai, and his sisters and Brothers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 10:49 pm
margrette
(@margrette)

The Kahaki, Mitchel, Horua, Raroa, Kaa, Tuhoro,
are some of the family Names as for WW1 the old diggers i can make enquiries My Grand Mother was Materia Ngatai

I did know Peta Ngatai , I knew two of his children were Joe and Reg good luck in your search Cheers
marge

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 10:55 pm
Inanahi OWC
(@inanahi-owc)

Hello Evey,
You must be my cousin. We have met as children. Yes Arapeta Ngatai was our grandfather. A chance letter from my white Aunty has brought me here. I will try to contact you personally. I think I remember you as... O I will email you privately!

Barbara... I call myself Babs on internet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2007 3:53 am
MaNaWaH1n3
(@manawah1n3)

Hey Cuz
This is one of Mickey's Daughter. Kiri. Im the one who whangai Priscilla, we are still down here Wellington. Here my email address maria_ngatai@hotmail.com Can you fill in the missing gaps??
Who are my Grandparents? And Koro sibling names etc basically anything you have, that will futher my knowledge on completing my whakapapa.
You probably are aware that my dad was a private man. And got nowhere when i seek for this infor... Cause he knew very little..
Regarding to this side of the Whanau.
I look forward hearing from you.

Edited by - MaNaWaH1n3 on Oct 25 2007 2:41:04 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 October, 2007 2:19 pm
Share: