Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NICHOLLS family  

RSS
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Looking for any info on the Nicholls family of Tauranga-Te Aroha.

William George Nicholls married Hera Te Whakaawa (m ? 1845-49)

children:
Charlotte (m twice I think)
James Ponui ( m Hera Kiriwatai / Pepene ?)
Alice Grey ( m Charles Dearle )
William Grey (m Rihoto Mataia )
Susanna ( m ?}
Sarah (m) ?

While I would love to find all my cousins, for the moment, I am trying to sort out this generation.

Very interested in William Nicholls parents (from England) and Hera Te Whakaawas parents, also the Kiwiwatai/Pepene lineage.

Any information gladly accepted.

There seems to be a couple of conflicting family trees out there and I'm trying to sort it out.

If anyone has William Nicholls death (1900) certificate that would be great.

I believe the Whakaawa family is from Matakana island, if anyone knows more please let me know, apparently there are 5 hapus on the island, would be good to narrow them down.
Also anyone know how to visit Matakana island, this would also be great, as I would like to visit.
Thanks,

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Oct 29 2007 6:20:44 PM

Posted : 28 October, 2007 11:28 pm
one in a thou OWC
(@one-in-a-thou-owc)

Kia ora there - you don't mean the Wharekawa whanau??

To get to Matakana Island you have to catch the barge from Omokoroa Point. Cost is about $20.00 a car and $2.00 or $3.00 per passenger each way.

The names of the hapu are as follows: Whanau a Tauwhao, Ngai Tuwhiwhia, Ngati Tauaiti and Ngai Tamawhariua.

Hope this is of some help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2007 2:29 am
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2007 4:24 pm
GillianObrien OWC
(@gillianobrien-owc)

Hi there Mk2 Zephyr
William George Nicholls married Hera Te Whakaawa are my great great grand parents.

Have found this generation quite confusing as williams nicholls appears to have a son, again call william (wiremu) nihcolls.

Rightly or wrongly the info I have says that William Nicholls Father is Obediah Nicholls.

Again: Im not sure if this info is correct, but I have Heras parents as Haru(m) & Meroiti(f.

Does this reflect any info that you have??

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2007 12:32 pm
GillianObrien OWC
(@gillianobrien-owc)

Also you may find this link interesting pertaining to Charles Dearle (m alice)
http://www.nativeagent.co.nz/story.shtml

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2007 12:40 pm
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Kia Ora, Gillian

It seems to be a confusing generation, but I believe the son was William Grey Nicholls and the father was William or William George. I have seen Obediah as the father of the elder William also and he was married to an Alice Grey.

Working hard on a Hokianga branch at moment, but keep in touch and I'm sure we can get it all sorted. Have ordered Williams' (the elder) death certificate so that should help.

And yes I read the Nativeagent link a while back.

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Nov 16 2007 01:12:09 AM

Edited by - Mk2_Zephyr on Nov 18 2007 10:21:44 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2007 1:49 am
kafrim OWC
(@kafrim-owc)

Hi there,

What a small world it is!! I am too a descendant of James Ponui Nicholls. My mother Judith has more detailed information, including family trees researched by a family member. More information can also be found in a book - Pukenga (not sure of the exact title), which documents the whakapapa of Ngati Pukenga. I am a descendant of Ponui's daughter (I think and I beleive he is my great great great great great grandfather. I met another cousin last year during a three month job at work, I am a geologist. After a discussion with our excavator operator I discovered we were both related to Willian Nicholls (the father). An interesting fact about William Grey Nicholls is that he was involved with the discovery of the Martha gold mine at Waihi. I discovered this while reading books in the Auckland University Library. More info wanted please feel free to contact me, I would be glad to share information as I am sure my mother would too - kafrim@yahoo.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2007 9:44 pm
krysalis OWC
(@krysalis-owc)

I do have copies of death certificates of i) William Nicholls ... son of Obidiah Nicholls of Falmouth, England, and Alica Grey. He died 13 dec. 1900 at Mangaiti, Te Aroha. He apparently had 2 sons and 2 daughters. Wife was Hera Te Whakaawa. Age when he died: 82 ii) James Ponui Nicholls.... died at Kopu, aged 88, in 1941. He is described as married to Merea Kiriwaiti. Accroding to the death certificate, he only has 1 child, a son,still living at the time. My relative of his family, known as Lena Evelyn, died in 1915. ( I also have a copy of her death certificate.) A copy of a family tree I have been fiven,lists 3 children for James Ponui and Hera: Lena, Humphrey and Meara (Mary).Hope this is of some help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 5:54 pm
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Thank you both, I am sure we can sort this all out soon.

Sorry, if I take a while to reply, I am still flat out on some Hokianga family.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2008 1:24 am
Tatai-Kokero OWC
(@tatai-kokero-owc)

Kia ora whanau

I am a descendent of Charlotte (Harete) Nicholls and its great to see so many whanau out there.

Yes Charlotte was married twice. Her first husband (a Ships Captain) and 2(?) children were drowned in Hobart. After this she returned to Matakana and married Joseph Smallman and my family descends from here.

The information above agrees with what I have (My aunt has a complete whakapapa on both the Famouth and Matakana lines if anyone is interested.

The hapu at Matakana is Ngati Tauaiti and I beleive that Rehua Smallman (a cousin) is still chairman of the Ngati Pukenga Runanga (Iwi Authority)

As an interesting aside the Maces mentioned in the Charles Dearle link above were accountants. My father went looking for an accountant oneday and found the Maces firm and the (apparently) red haired blue-eyed pakeha Mr MAce.
Then one day the older Mace came in with a family tree showing that we were related

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 February, 2008 7:25 am
Share: