Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NIHA, Te Hira and HOWE, Mere Kahutaha: Help to find further info  

RSS
nejet_aset OWC
(@nejet_aset-owc)

Kia Ora everyone,

I just recently got some information from a family member about my maternal grandparents (my paternal grandparents are Pakeha, and I already know enough about them!).

I was told that my maternal grandmother was Mere Kahutaha Niha (nee Howe), but was probably known by everyone as Kath Niha. She was buried at Pipiwai (I think), as I was told her funeral was at Tau Henare marae. Her parents were Te Whiu Rongonui o Rihara Howe (my great grandfather) and Riwia Adelaide Howe (nee Wells). My grandmother's marae was Te Rawhiti marae at Rawhiti.

My maternal grandfather was called Te Hira Niha. I was told he his marae is Tau Henare marae and he is of Ngati Hine descent.

So what I really need to know is who his parents were. I searched the records, and a Sonny Niha came up in the Pipiwai cemetary records, but have no idea if it is my grandfather.

If anyone knows any further information, that would be great and very much appreciated 🙂

Denise 🙂

EDIT: I was just told by the family member that she had given me the worng names of my grandparents, so I edited the information above, so it is correct. If anyone knows any information, that would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Edited by - nejet_aset on Apr 17 2007 10:19:15 AM

Posted : 16 April, 2007 5:20 pm
a.giacon OWC
(@a-giacon-owc)

Hi, I am a descendent of Les Howe. Te Whiu and Riwia are buried in the Howe family cemetary in Russell at Omakiwi bay. I have visited the graves and photographed them.
Te Whiu parents were Rihi Wells and Hone Howe.
Rihi Wells parents were Captain Robert Wells and Hinewhare

Hone Howe ( Hone Hau) parents were Heni nuka ( who was buried at Russell Anglican Cemetary) and Captain John Howe.

I am at present just trying to clarify who Heni Nukas parents were. I have the descent lines further back- which link to Paraoa of Ngati Kuta, and also Hineamaru of Ngati Hine, but just missing a few links.

so myself am looking for clarification on Heni Nukas parents and Hinewhares.

Riwia Wells parents were Hone Wells and Ngaroata Hunia.
Regards
Adrienne

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 February, 2008 8:46 am
PPYLAD OWC
(@ppylad-owc)

Kia ora e Denise, I will start your whakapapa from Ereatara Te Heke as most people from Pipiwai and Mōtatau should be able to link up with either Ereatara, his brother Paora or their father Te Heke.

Te Heke = Waiutukura
Ereatara Te Heke = Hīria Te Hauhunga
Hoana (Kariki)Ereatara = Niha Hāmiora
Hone Ngākuru Niha = Tauhia Merepeka Rewi
Hiku-o-te-awa(Pita)Niha= Mere Rore Te Hira Nētana
Te Hira (Mura) Niha = Mere Kahutaha Hau (Howe)

They had children in Eddie, Adelaide, Rex and Cecelia Mabel Faenza.

I tried sending you a more comprehensive whakapapa but the format won't allow that to come across without distortions.

I come off Hauraki Niha's line. He is the older brother of Hone Ngakuru Niha.

If you send me your email address I can send you the whakapapa in question.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 6:46 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

The name of the urupa [cemetery] where Riwia Howe is interred is called 'Te Rautawa' located at Omakiwi Cove in Te Rawhiti [Bay of Islands]. My late dad lies there among his parents and siblings. Your maternal grandmother Mere Kahutaha Howe [Hau] is from Riwia's second family. Riwia's first spouse was Kairau Renata Manihera, and they had 2 sons from their relationship.

Hohaia Hakaraia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2008 2:05 pm
Share: