Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Nopera Panakareao aka TUWHARE  

RSS
Tuti OWC
(@tuti-owc)

Kia ora,is there anyone who can help me solve a riddle concerning this man,who was he. I've read somethings about him and have strong feelings that I know him, connected to him somehow,but a mystery he remains.On the one hand he was a well known and respected Rangatira of his time,whilst on the otherhand he seems to have disappeared leaving no sign, no issue, which I find hard to accept.Anyinfo you can share with me relating to Nopera,his life and whanau would be awesome. Me takakawe tahi tatau.

Posted : 07 April, 2006 7:32 am
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

I may know someone who has a bit of info on this man you seek.Get in touch with me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 April, 2006 8:26 pm
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

Have recieved this info regarding Nopera.....Nopera Panakareao had a daughter named "Whao" who married an Irishman named "John Hardy",they lived at Whangape.Panakareao's niece "Mere Ngawi"(Ngaputiputi)married the son of Governor William Hobson named "Wiremu Hopihana".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2006 12:14 pm
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

Also check out the book "Kaitaia and its people" by Florence Keene,theres a bit about Nopera on page77.Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2006 12:42 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Yes Panakareao and his wife Ereonora both highborn in their own tribes had only one issue a female. She married an Irishman and I've heard nothing more. So at this point, their bloodline has disappeared. Any Hardy's out there to fill in the 140 year gap?

However stories are many of Panakaraeo's close affiliation, association, acceptance of the Pakeha way of life. So much so he and his wife built 5 British (Pakeha) style homes. It is also noted that his very early conversion to Christianity was instrumental in opening the pathwayway of Anglican land grants from Kaitaia, Awanui & Waimonone and all the way up to the Rev Taylor's Grant 65,000 acres of the North Cape signed over just 6 days before the Treaty was signed.

Some feel Panakaraeo sold Maoridom out (his signature is on many land deals however he denies he benefited from the blankets, axes etc and the money. His grandfather also supported dealings with the Pakeha. Without Panakaraeo and his wife supporting the signing of the Treaty, maybe we wouldn't have the Treaty we have today at all. Which means no Office of Treaty Settlements, no Waitangi Tribunal, no hikois, no Waitangi Day, no talkback radio, no government debates etc etc. So what would be doing instead? Would we be fishing, or yarning with out kuia & kaumatua in Te Reo at the Marae working bees, gardening, farming, building up our community, would we be the minority, with alarming health statistics? I wonder....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 12:46 pm
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora Koutou,
Its also said that Panakareao took two additional wives. My whakaaro is that he would do this to ensure that he had more issue - he certainly had the whare's for it!! Wasn't it the norm for rangatira to have several wives?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 1:42 am
Eminent Member

There was a story that Panakareao did bring home a beautiful young woman and said to Ereonora, "I have brought you a helper." Whereupon Ereonora shot her dead. There were to be no other women in her lifetime. I am unaware of any other marriages/issue Rangatira or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 11:23 pm
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora e Ngati Kuri,

May I asked where you sourced this information as you seem quite sure that this tupuna had no other wives or issue "Rangatira or not" and that your statement is correct. It is always great to see our people tautoko each other, however, in my opinion you need to be very sure that the information you provide is indeed correct. I further believe that any person, regardless of their education, status or worldly travels can ONLY have intimate knowledge of their own blood. I think it would be offensive to any whanau who could whakapapa back to this Rangatira to read these statements - I am sure this couldn't be your intention - to offend.

You wonder how things would be if Panakareo never supported the signing of the treaty - well he didn't - he signed the Tiriti o Waitangi - the maori version not the english one. In FACT everything he put his name to was written in maori - now thats something to wonder about.

I think it is such a shame that it is assumed that things would be so much better if the actions and decisions of a particular tupuna were different. It sounds wonderful, fishing, gardening, working bees, better health for our people..... I think it is unrealistic to assume such things and holds us back as a people from reaching our full potential a.k.a dwelling in the past. How can we judge the actions of our ancestors? I don't think I will ever have the qualifications or audacity to say that any tupuna sold out maoridom - that is an opinion - and one best kept to the self as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not saying that the above is your opinion, but just addressing what you have written.
So my patai was - Wasn't it the norm for Rangatira to have several wives? Is this incorrect??Can someone set me straight about this if I am wrong please - I question why would he be any different? I'm also interested to know about the story of Erenora and the shooting of her helper. Where did you hear/read this Ngati Kuri - may I ask? The archives say that Panakareao's 1st wife, Erenora died on 19th March 1848, he died quite a number of years later. So perhaps there were to be no other women in her lifetime, only in his. Perhaps he chose to keep his helper(s) elsewhere. But as I said before, in my opinion you can only be "aware" and have intimate knowledge of your own whakapapa. Do you agree/disagee Ngati Kuri or do you think otherwise? I do respect your opinion even if I question what you have posted - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Kia Ora mo tou korero i te kaupapa nei. I appreciate that you have taken the time to post and am always interested to hear the opinion of others regardless of whether I agree or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2006 3:53 am
Eminent Member

As also stated above there is source material on Nopera Panakareao. This is available via Libraries and Local Museums, Historical Research Centres, Anglican Archives in Parnell Auckland etc. Florence Keene has an extensive collection of material in the Whangarei Library, Historical Section as well as her many published books. Northward Bound, Tai Tokerau and the one on women which mentions Ereonora relate to their historical era. I am sure Tuti will find many books for the asking.

Do you have a particular interest in Nopera? You say their were two additional wives. Names from your source would be useful and where they are from. What about children? Or is you interest in Rangatira generally having many wives, rather than one??

Nopera became a staunch Christian very early on in his life. Maybe this was the main difference between Nopera and other Chiefs of the day. Hs wife converted so the written information reads only on her deathbed. Later Victoria Valley was named in her memory by Nopera. This was the area she was last living in.

If you read my post again it does not say Nopera is the predominant reason we live like we do today. I was merely remarking that Anglicanism was adopted and its growth in the north supported by Nopera. Also that his final speech before the signing was to encourage the Chiefs gathered to sign. Ereonora due to her own chiefly status also signed the Treaty. Again evidence of this is in published works.

By yarning with Kuia and Kaumatuas in Kaitaia, Awanui, Ngataki & Te Minggi, I have been told many stories and there are others about Nopera and his visits to Paranoa and Spirit's Bay, the time he went with Rev Taylor to see Chief Hongi Kapa, meeting Chief Paraone with Judge Achieson at thr bridge before Te Kao, Chief Puhipi's wife referring another northern Chief to him for the North Cape land grant etc. He was also closely involved with Chief Paora.

Nevertheless as you have rightly said, better to keep these for another occasion.

I do not have a personal hankering to search whether Nopera had more than one wife or more children.

If you are related to any of his people or know anyone living on his or Ereonora's land I would be interested in having open dialogue with them.

Do you have some further information you would like to share?.

Nothing I do is original... but let what I do have a base in truth and not be without structure and foundation.

Edited by - ngati_kuri@hotmail.com on Jun 09 2006 10:12:36 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2006 4:40 am
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Tena koutou katoa,

He mihi ano ki a koe e Ngati Kuri. Wow, thanks for the quick reply and for the response re: where to source written info on the story you mentioned on Erenora. I do not have that particular book written by Florence Keene but do have several others. I would not have felt comfortable to post on this kaupapa had if I not done my homework.

I stated in my post "It is also said that Panakareao took two additional wives", this I sourced from the www.dnzb.govt.nz which a simple google search will reveal. It is information which is available to the general public and (from memory) written and researched by Angela Ballara.

You have stated, and I quote "Some feel that Panakareo sold Maoridom out", I am curious to know if this is sourced from a book or was this said to you by Kaumatua from Awanui and the other rohe you mentioned? I understand that you never said that Panakareao was predominatly the reason we live like we do today -in my opinion that would be a ridiculous statement which couldn't be supported by any sort of evidence. You were just "wondering" how different it would be had he not supported the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and wondered if we would be fishing, gardening, speaking Te Reo with kuia and kaumatua - all the good stuff. I'm not sure what your point is there, perhaps just providing your thoughts(?) and that is fine.

To answer the questions you have asked me. Yes, I obviously have a particular interest in this rangatira, this is why I have posted. I dont expect anyone to search for anything for me - especially if they do not have a personal hankering for it. I am asking questions because you have posted here with information. Your post came across as confident and seemingly well-informed. At times I feel the need to question what is written and this one of those times. I thought this was the forum to do so, please let me know if I am wrong as it is not my intention to put anyones nose out of joint.

I do not have information I wish to share on Nopera, I am here to gather and learn from those like yourself who are willing to provide and profess to know. I didn't realise it was the tikanga of this site to explain who I am and who I whakapapa to before I am allowed to ask questions. I stand by my comment about an individual being able to have intimate knowledge of their line only but feel I do not have the right to question you on yours - and didn't. If I knew of the descendents of this tupuna I would not be inclined to share the details with person/s who did not have reason to know or who did not have a personal hankering for it. I'm not sure what you mean by open dialogue, or why you would like to speak to his descendents, can you explain plse? Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Edited by - Purerehua on Jun 10 2006 6:51:47 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 June, 2006 3:38 am
Eminent Member

Thank you for bio webpage link.

Enjoy your research. I haven't read before about the additional wives. What a shame there isn't any names. Some of the other info is also worth pursuing. If I turn up anything further I will forward it on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 June, 2006 10:14 pm
Share: