Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NUKAIAHA, Rawiri, Pakewa & daughter Pairoke  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
kina_kid OWC
(@kina_kid-owc)

Kiaora everyone,

I'm trying to trace my whakapapa back from Rawiri Nukaiaha. He married Pakewa (who signed the treaty of Waitangi in Wellington) and they had 8 children including Mere & Pairoke. I'm a decendent of Pairoke who married William Jenkins in Waikanae on 19 Feb 1849, they lived on her land around Raumati. I belive they come from Te Atiawa - Puketapu Hapu but cannot find any affiliation to Puketapu online anywhere (nothing on atiawa.com) so this info could be wrong? I would like to know Hapu and Marae of Rawiri Nukaiaha and Pakewa's whakapapa also as it may be her that was Te Atiawa?? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Posted : 17 June, 2005 1:45 pm
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

Kia ora i too am on the same journey i trying to find our Whakapapa past Pairoke,I have a book with some names but no solid prof of our iwi.
I have this imformation you may already know it:
Hingataitu - Rangipua Heihei
/
Taihuru - Matakuatea
/
Rawiri Nukaiahu - Pakewa
I have more imformation if you are interested,but as i said you may already know this.I would be interested in what you have found out, maybe we can help each other.
Sera Rain

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 10:06 pm
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

i just did some research on the National Library of New Zealand and they have a photo of Erena Browne, daughter of Pairoke.They have named her Ellen Browne but she is the same person, any way it says her Iwi is Te Atiawa.
Arohanui..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 10:31 pm
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

quote:

i just did some research on the National Library of New Zealand and they have a photo of Erena Browne, daughter of Pairoke.They have named her Ellen Browne but she is the same person, any way it says her Iwi is Te Atiawa.
Arohanui..

tena korua
I am also descended from Paeroke and william Jenkins through their daughter Mere Pakewa (Cameron). Rawiri Nukaiahu's brother was Te Manutoheroa was well known in the battle of Kuititanga and a leading Taranaki cheif. Te Manutoheroa and Pakewa (Rawiri's wife) both signed the Treaty in Wellington so I guess they must have moved south from taranaki before 1840. Their (our) iwi is Te Ati Awa, hapu is puketapu. My uncle wrote that the family urupa is at Te Uruhi, Paraparaumu.
Another whanaunga told me they link to Puketapu Marae in Bell Block area of New Plymouth.
I have Pakewa as descending from Ngakoro and Te Urupoki.
Na Tere
I have a copy (scanned) of the painting of Erena and Paeroke by C.D. Barraud.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 11:09 pm
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

Ah family!! wow what a buzz !!.... i also have a copy of the painting. The imformation i have is all from the Browne Family Book,In it they have mentioned Te Manutoheroa but left the Te out so i was not sure if they were the same? I have been meaning to reach out to look into my Maori Whakapapa but was scared to find out most of what was written may be lies,strange i know but true =).. Every step i take on this journey discovering my Whakapapa feels like a step closer to home, boy what a lonely journey it had been for the family this end have never really spoken of our roots, infact sadly they were taught to be ashamed of who they are, So those beautiful Maori Wahine keept bearing children to white men.Not ment in a Rachist way, just a shame i feel.
I would love to know more of (paeroke)Pairoke, if she had brothers and sisters,all our Ancestors,and about Pakewa Ancestors for i have a strong interest in Pakewa,not sure why but am pulled her way.
Is our mountain Taranaki? What is our Awa ?
And so much more !
So if anyone can help me and others it would be a wonderful Gift.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 11:54 pm
kina_kid OWC
(@kina_kid-owc)

Kiaora SeraRain and teregilbert,

Thank you so much for this information it's very helpful. I have heard about Te Manutoheroa and this battle. teregilbert is this photo or Erena and Pairoki digital, and if so are you able to please e-mail it to me to the e-mail address below. My grandad (grandson of Mere) always said I was a 'throwback' as I was born with dark skin, Maori features and green eyes (hence being nicknamed Kina from an early age), where the Camerons (married Pairoke) from Scotland were fiery red-heads with red freckles and pale skin - my granddad (Surname Quilter: mother Ellen Catherine Cameron) and his siblings, my mother and sister are all tall with a red complexion, so I would be interested to see if there is any resemblance? Sera Rain any more information you can give me would be much appreciated. If either of you don't wish to post publicly you can e-mail me rebecca.bayly@multiemedia.com, tomorrow I will remember to bring in my whakapapa chart to add to which I can e-mail you both. Yes SeraRain it is a good feeling and gives me great whakahī to know where I come from.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2005 2:27 pm
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

I will contact you on your email for i have heapsssss of questions and want to help you with any you may have, you will hear from me soon intill then take care Kina!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2005 12:32 pm
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

tena korua
I got the digital photo (scan maybe) from another of Ellen catherines descendents Peter Openshaw who resides in Aus. I understand he has heaps of information regarding our whakapapa. Ellen Catherine was known by the name Nellie also. My aunty remebered a Nellie but not an Ellen. What was your grandfathers name? Mere and William Cameron are buried at Taihape. william Jenkins is buried at Otaki up the hill behind Rangiatea Church.
Paeroke and Jenkins had about 9 children. Try typing Pairoke Jenkins in Google and you will find some more info. Also go to this whakapapa research site and you will find some more stuff that has already been posted www.geocities.com-Heartland-Park-7572-mresear.htm
Hope this is of some help
Tere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 8:30 pm
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

hi again
I forgot to ask if the Browne Family Book was the one Cyril Browne was writing. if so, where can I get a copy of it
Tere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 8:44 pm
kina_kid OWC
(@kina_kid-owc)

His name was Harold Quilter, I think the only one left of Ellen's children in Jean who came to to my grandmothers (Harold's widow) funeral last year, Tere that link didn't work? I'm in Australia too (Melbourne) do you know in which city Peter lives, thanks for the burial info, next time i'm in the area (Sept) I'll definitely make more enquries. Yes it's very helpful, many thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 June, 2005 12:43 pm
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

I also had trouble with the link.

Yes it is written by Cyril,my grandmother got a few copis about 17 years ago i will ask her if she has any ideas where you can get them from and i will let you know,i will be seeing her 17th july for her bday.
The book has a lot of interesting imformation but is more focused on Erena and William Brown lives and little on their children, but there is some mention of what life was like for Pairoke and Jenkins.Upon reading the book i have learnt that i am not very keen on William Jenkins,i feel that he was a greedy coldhearted man,3 years after Pairoke died he remarried and kicked out all pairoke's daughters and they had to fend for themselves,it is my opinion that he did not marry Pairoke out of love but in hope to gain land...luckly he did not. But as i said it is only my opinion.So yes the book is worth reading lol, and he did try to gather info on Pairoke's life,unfortunatly could not but he has included a small part of her Whakapapa
Here is my connection to Pairoke and Jenkins.
Pairoke-william Jenkins(9 kids)
/
Erena-William Brown(12 kids)
/
Alice-Edward Martin(4 kids)
/ 2nd husband Andrew Lenox(okids)
/
Nancy-William McCorick(4 kids)
/
Hilda-Henry Clapp(4 kids)
/
Anne-David Webb(2kids).........Father unknown
/.........................................../
Karen & Nathan Webb...........Me-Jay Reriti(2 kids)
............................................/
.......................Kahurangi & Ngakau Ngakoro

lol(laugh out loud) hope that is understandble.
So i will let you know about the book as soon as i find out.
Hope you both have been keeping well !
Sera.

Edited by - SeraRain on Jun 27 2005 7:03:09 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 June, 2005 6:47 pm
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

quote:

His name was Harold Quilter, I think the only one left of Ellen's children in Jean who came to to my grandmothers (Harold's widow) funeral last year, Tere that link didn't work? I'm in Australia too (Melbourne) do you know in which city Peter lives, thanks for the burial info, next time i'm in the area (Sept) I'll definitely make more enquries. Yes it's very helpful, many thanks!

My aunty in Hamilton remebers the Quilters. I am seeing her tomorrow so will ask her some more. She is 94 and Paeroke was her great grandmother. I can remeber her recently talking ablout them to the Peter I was telling you about his email is campbelltowncoq@pacific.net.au . he's around 65 yrs of age and his grandmother was Ellen Catherine. Peter lives in Sydney I think.
Tere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 July, 2005 12:08 am
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

Tena korua
My links are
Paeroke = William Jenkins
Mere Pakewa Jenkins = William Cameron
Isabella Cameron= Alfred Te Huki Down
David Down - Bertha Mc Millan
Dolores Down - Jim Greenfield
Me(tere gilbert)- Darcy Gilbert

tere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 July, 2005 12:18 am
SeraRain OWC
(@serarain-owc)

If i cant find out where to get the books from would either of you like me to find out how much it will cost to get copies of the one we have?

Tere would your Aunt have or know anyone who has photos of Pairoke and family?

Sera

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 July, 2005 10:40 am
teregilbert OWC
(@teregilbert-owc)

quote:

If i cant find out where to get the books from would either of you like me to find out how much it will cost to get copies of the one we have?

Tere would your Aunt have or know anyone who has photos of Pairoke and family?

Sera

Kia ora Sera
Yes I would like to purchase one. I have a photo of Paeroke on computer. I can email it if you send an email address to send it to.
Tere

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2005 10:13 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: