Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

O'BRIEN, James and Ann: Tauranga, 1800  

RSS
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Trying to find out about this family, apparently a large family. James was a saddler at one time, and I think Ann was Maori. They had one daughter Ann b. abt1844 who married a Brott but as mentioned apparently she had heaps of siblings, like 20 or so. If they did have a big family someone must link in somewhere!

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 11:39:25 PM

Posted : 19 December, 2004 12:50 pm
cliffb@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@cliffbxtra-co-nz-owc)

Hi there, my name is Andrea Blain. The Ann O'Brien you are talking about married a John Brott, as far as I know they had only 1 son, George William Brott. He was my Great-great Grandfather. If you would like to know more my email is cliffb@xtra.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2005 3:26 pm
grumpysmith OWC
(@grumpysmith-owc)

Hi there
Was your g.g.grandmothers name Kawhena?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 February, 2005 10:53 am
Tanya Brott OWC
(@tanya-brott-owc)

Tena Tatou Katoa e te Whanau - Mel I'd be interested to know where you got the information on Ann belonging to a family of 20! I've checked with historians in Northland and Tauranga and they don't know of a European by the name of James O'Brien during that time. Kia Ora Andrea, George William had 8 other brothers and sisters (according to BDM anyways). Their names were - John, Adam William,Agnes, Eliza Christina, Louisa, Charlotte, Peter, Elizabeth. George William's wife was Kawhena/Victoria/Kitty. The strange part is that Wikitoria (Kawhena's father) also married TWO of Georges sisters - Elizabeth (Rihi) and Louisa (Ruiha). Please feel free to contact me. Arohanui, Tanya

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2005 9:55 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Unfortunatly like lots of family info it was from mum and someone told her...you know how it goes. Of course I could be totally off. I hear there are O'Briens down Tauranga. I only heard that she (Ann) was married off quite young. Maybe 20 was an exageration! The names James and Ann as her Ann jnrs parents come from her death certificate. They list her as being born in Tauranga and James' occupation listed as saddler. She must have been only about 14 when she married/lived with John Brott.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2005 6:51 am
ahubbard OWC
(@ahubbard-owc)

tena koutou.my name is adrian hubbard.george brott is my great great grandfather.his daughter emma married harry walter hubbard,of whom are my great grandparents.so that is the line from which i come from.would love to find out more information about my whakapapa.my email address is adrianhubbard@hotmail.com. looking forward to replies.{touch wood. 🙂 } kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 May, 2005 11:55 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

George Brott is a son of John and Ann Brott, not to be confused with Georges son who was also called George. Emma was a sister to George jnr

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 May, 2005 11:10 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

o

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2008 4:43 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

kia ora- I was a bit mislead withthe information I supplied above. Have since found out that Eliza Christina Brott was not adopted. We knew that she had a sister called lottie. From the information I have found on this site I think lottie was her sister charlotte, Kawhena who we thought wad her sister was in fact her sister in law, married to George william brott. The information I have worked through brings me to this conclusion. James O'Brien (saddler, from America) married Ann O'Brien (Maori - we are still looking for this whanau). They had a daughter called Ann O'Brien, she married John Brott from Matakana. They had 9 children that I have found being, George William, John, Adam William, Agnes, ELIZA CHRISTINA, Louisa, Charlotte (lottie), Peter,and Elizabeth. George William married Kawhena hence the Pitman whanau. My G.G.G.Grandmother was ELIZA CHRISTINA, born 1864 who married James Francis Smith on 8.7.1878. (His parents were James Smith and Charlotte Purcell), Their children were Anton Francis (born 1978 matakino), James Nolan Smith (born 1879) and John Henry Smith, my great grandfather (Born 1880, married Georgina Mary Sims ) and we also have the name william but no other information about him. If anyone has any information to confirm this please email me.
I would like to get in touch with Mel Ferris, who may be part of the Dunn Whanau. Thanks Paula Lunjevich.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2008 4:47 pm
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Kia Ora Paula, you can contact me on mena_ferris@hotmail.com if you would like. I have been in contact with others from your line of Eliza Christina.
Kawhena Brott actually ties into the family again because her father was husband to 2 Brotts as well, Elizabeth and Louisa. His name was Wikitoria TeMoananui. This is who I am descended from. Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2008 3:32 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

thanks mel I will email you arohanui paula

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 March, 2008 8:59 pm
Share: