Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PAERATA, Huhana Karaka: 1880-1945 approx  

RSS
Ngarupa OWC
(@ngarupa-owc)

Kia ora koutou,
I am looking for any information concerning Huhana Karaka Paerataborn Muriwhenua,married Himiona Rapana Weko.

They had 3 daughters I know of for sure,'Ngarupa','Mere(Pohe)' and my grandmother,"Maata(Tuti)'.This whanau left Muriwhenua in the early 1900's and settled at the bottom of the Wharerata's,at Morere,under the shadow of Moumoukai te maunga.By 1945 they had all passed away and laid to rest in Nuhaka,never to return to Taitokorau.Ngarupa had a son named Iraia Te Hanene Matairangi Rore(Nika)i mate 1965.Mere also survived by her only son Noema Potatau i mate 1968ish,and Maata leaving 4 issue,Te Tini Robin(born Kaitaia)i mate 1995.My mum, Mei Paerata Coleman(born Morere),her brother, Wipani Matairangi Rore and youngest Te Ata Lorraine Matairangi Rore(Whangai to her fathers whanau).I'm trying to re- connect my whanau and learn more about my people and the kind of people they were."ka mau te wehi" what i learn so far.Kareponia te marae,and I see my whanau names in Komako Urupa.THe people there don't know us and feel distrust,heard a man say"every one wants to jump in on his whakapapa"if I could choose I'd pick an easier 1, or at least someone more affluent.,with land2, fore-shore.

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:34:07 PM

Posted : 09 February, 2005 1:47 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Ngarupa,

Don't let people like that man put you off. If you are on the whakapapa you can not jump on it as you are already there

You could try www.familysearch.org for more information about the names, or try contacting the Iwi Authority for that area - Ngati Kahu for more information. The links for their sites will be under Tai Tokerau in the links section here at maori.org.nz

The book [url="http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_info.php?ref=9&products_id=560616&affiliate_banner_id=1"]The Tribes of Muriwhenua: Their Origins and Stories[/url] is also a great read, written in English and Maori with alot of pounamu in it.

Kia kaha and good luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2005 5:49 am
Rereahu ahau OWC
(@rereahu-ahau-owc)

Tena Koe:

I agree, dont take any notice of peoples rude comment not worth, but what is is you have made a connection to another branch of the Paerata Whanau: Check it out:

Hitiri Paerata: Mokai marae Tuwharetoa, These Paerata Whanau originate from Kapiti Island, eventually settle in the Tuwharetoa rohe. There is a large Picture of him hanging in the Museum at Wanganui, next to my other tupuna Major Kemp, perhaps the Historian attched to the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Borad maybe able to help.

Good luck and go hard, we dont want ngaro to get you too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2005 2:32 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano,

Make sure you are in the Whakapapa club then click Full Search and put in paerata - there are quite a few listings and some may be able to help you.

Good Luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 1:13 am
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

HI
Off the top of my head I can remember onwe of my Gt Gt Grandma was Ripeka Te Hanene an I think her brother wa Iraia Te Hanene. Moumoukai is our maunga. Drop me a line ...I have a little bit of whakapapa....I will hunt it out.
Aroha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2005 10:28 pm
Marara OWC
(@marara-owc)

Kia Ora,

Ai kia kaha girl in finding your whanau,when rude people say that to you, it only tells you that you r on the right track goodluck. I dont know what i would do if i didnt know who i was or belong too. Everytime a wall goes up, dust yrself off and try again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2005 12:50 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

quote:

THe people there don't know us and feel distrust,heard a man say"every one wants to jump in on his whakapapa"if I could choose I'd pick an easier 1, or at least someone more affluent.,with land2, fore-shore.

Really enjoyed that comment it made me smile.Dont forget "you cant pick your family but you can pick your friends"
Whakapapa doesnt ever belong just to one individual its a living legacy for yesterday, today and tommorrows generations, forgive the man his ignorance and never lose that sense of humour it will enrich your life with more than the promise of sharing a teaspoon of land with thousands of others, meanwhile dont be afraid to pursue what is rightfully yours -your reconnection with your tupuna through learning your whakapapa

Edited by - markonijoy on Feb 18 2006 6:16:29 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2005 9:20 am
Charlene Simpson OWC
(@charlene-simpson-owc)

Kia Ora
I agree, I've had that same problem. It just made me try harder. The Name PAERATA is in my whakapapa too I'm not too sure of my connection either. Is the name AWATEA PAERATA familier to anyone? Please Help!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2006 10:14 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Tëna koutou. Ngä mihi nui ki te Runga Rawa me te Whänau o Mäori.org/whakapapa. I'm Nani & whakapapa has been my interest since I was little. I have details of my own whakapapa & if there is anything I can do to help others I will.
I was given the ok by my hubby's extended whänau to search for details of their tüpuna [who came out from Scotland & married a woman connected with Te Whänau a Pütaanga], for a family reunion a year ago.
I would like to acknowledge hearty nati for assistance he gave to jessa [StaleDateShorty}. The questions she asked of Te Ao Ngäti Porou were likened to a university or a wänanga assignment. Bless you for the answers you gave nati. Ma te Atua e mänaaki e tiaki tätou katoa. Haumie hui e taiki e!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 January, 2006 10:13 am
tepaatu OWC
(@tepaatu-owc)

PAERATA, Herewini Nopera (Selwyn Noble)
BORN C1857 AWANUI
DIED 28 FEB 1923 BURIED 01 MAR 1923 TARAKAKA PAMAPURIA
OF TE RARAWA TRIBE
BROTHER TO THE REVD TIOPIRA NOPERA PAERATA
NEPHEW TO THE REVD RUPENE PAERATA
MARRIED (1);
MARRIED (2),
HERA HURU A WIDOW, MOTHER OF RENOWNED KAUMATUA HAKARAIA

PAERATA, Hoani Matenga
BORN ?1864 BAPTISED HOUHORA DIED 1942

PAERATA, Rupene
BORN 1832 KAITAIA
DIED 10 APR 1887 BY MISADVENTURE (FOOD POISONING) BURIED CLOSE TO THE REVD M TAUPAKI
OF RARAWA TRIBE, SON OF A CHIEF;
MARRIED,
RACHEL

PAERATA, Tiopira Nopera (Theophilus Pilot)
BORN 1862 ORURU KAITAIA DIED 15 APR 1939 BURIED AT KOMAKO KAREPONIA
BROTHER TO THE REVD HEREWINI PAERATA
NEPHEW TO THE REVD RUPENE PAERATA
SON OF TIOPERA OF ORURU, WHOSE REAL NAME WAS MOSES UERE;
MARRIED (1) 27 MAY 1880,
RIPEKA WIHONGA AWARUA;
MARRIED (2) C1886,
RITIHIA RATA DIED 01 OCT 1934 (89)
HERA DAUGHTER FROM MARRIAGE (2) MARRIED T HENARE MP FOR NORTHERN MAORI, AND THEIR SON WAS SIR JAMES HENARE (ADA)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2006 6:09 pm
Share: