Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PAGITT, PAGET, Lahara and Maria  

RSS
audrey1328 OWC
(@audrey1328-owc)

My maternal great-great grandmother's name before she married was MARIA PAGITT (Paget). Her father, Joseph PAGITT arrived in NZ in approx. 1851/1852. I don't know exact time frame, but somewhere in the next year or so, he met and married (?) a Maori woman named LAHARA from the Coramandel Coast. I am trying to find out about LAHARA and who her family was. Joseph PAGITT was granted goldmine land and rights by PITA TAURUA personally, so don't know if there is any association between the Joseph/Lahara relationship and land grant. Joseph and Maria had only one child, Maria. The family story has always been that Maria's grandfather (Lahara's father) was a Maori Chief along the Coramandel Coast. Maria married Richard Allen PLAYER (in NZ) and they went on to have six children, one being my great-grandfather Lionel Paget Player. I know Maria had full-blooded Maori half-brothers, as her mother Lahara married a full Maori warrior (?) after the drowning death of Joseph Pagitt on the Schooner "Rapid" in 1864. Any information would be greatly appreciated. This is a spiritual quest for me. On my father's side I am mostly Native American...Laponi, Choctaw and Cherokee, so finding my Maori roots has become a deep, loving quest for me.

Posted : 31 August, 2006 4:40 pm
Share: