Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PANAPA, Tekooti Hone  

RSS
jigger OWC
(@jigger-owc)

LOOKING FOR WHANAU OF MY GRANDFATHER WHO APPARENTLY WAS FROM DOWN WAIKATO OR TARANAKI AREA.IAM ONE OF HIS MOKOPUNAS AND WILL GLADLY WELCOME ANY INFORMATION.ALL WE WERE TOLD THAT PANAPA WAS OUR ADOPTED NAME AND SOME TOOK THE NAME HOHAPATA.APPARENTLY HE WAS FROM WAITARA.MY GRANDMOTHER WAS RIPEKA IRIHAPETI KAPU.ALSO I WOULD LIKE INFORMATION ON MY GREATGREAT GRANDDAD WHO IS MEANT TO BE FROM DOWN THE LINE AS WELL.HIS NAME IS PANAPA HOHAPATA AND HIS WIFE WAS NGATOWAI MAMAKU.

Posted : 19 March, 2005 12:55 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena koe jigger

You may or may not already know this, but here is a little bit of information for you.

Bishop Wiremu Netana Panapa, known affectionately as Barney, was the second bishop of Aotearoa. He was born in Ahikiwi, north of Dargaville, on 7 June 1898. Panapa’s grandfather, Panapa Hohapata, of Ngati Ruanui, was captured during one of Ngati Whatua’s battles in Taranaki in the late 1820s and was taken to Northland. He later married Ngatowai Teao Mamaku of Ngati Whatua and settled at Ahikiwi; Ngatowai was also called Ripeka Hohapata. Their son, Netana Te Kopa Panapa, a farmer, married Ngapeka Mereana (Marion) Maihi of Te Rarawa and Ngati Kahu; they had 12 children. Wiremu, their fourth child, was baptised as Wiremu Pepene; he later changed his name to Wiremu Netana, after his father. Ngapeka, also known as Mereana, worked assiduously to protect Maori customs and traditions but was also active in the church.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2005 2:53 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe ano

have a look at this link, it will give the information from last post, and some of the whakapapa for Bishop Wiremu Netana Panapa

http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2005 2:56 pm
jigger OWC
(@jigger-owc)

quote:

LOOKING FOR WHANAU OF MY GRANDFATHER WHO APPARENTLY WAS FROM DOWN WAIKATO OR TARANAKI AREA.IAM ONE OF HIS MOKOPUNAS AND WILL GLADLY WELCOME ANY INFORMATION.ALL WE WERE TOLD THAT PANAPA WAS OUR ADOPTED NAME AND SOME TOOK THE NAME HOHAPATA.APPARENTLY HE WAS FROM WAITARA.MY GRANDMOTHER WAS RIPEKA IRIHAPETI KAPU.ALSO I WOULD LIKE INFORMATION ON MY GREATGREAT GRANDDAD WHO IS MEANT TO BE FROM DOWN THE LINE AS WELL.HIS NAME IS PANAPA HOHAPATA AND HIS WIFE WAS NGATOWAI MAMAKU.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2005 8:20 am
jigger OWC
(@jigger-owc)

quote:

kia ora,thank you for that but i have already information on my uncle bishop panapa it is my grandfather i am looking information for.all i know is that my grandmother was with the brother[TAMAITI]WHOM she had a child NGAPERA but apparently he died and she ended up with his brother which is my grandfather.i am looking forward just to meeting any of the whanau from that era.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2005 8:41 am
Scarlett OWC
(@scarlett-owc)

Panapa Hohapata was of Ngati Hinga hapu, Ati Awa. The marae at Ahikiwi was gazetted as a marae for Ngati Hinga to provide a place for the people who had come from the area and settled in the north. It is said that the chief Parore was the one who brought Panapa to the north from Taranaki because he(Panapa) was a good marksman with a rifle. Hongi Hika was shot by Maratea, who in turn was shot by Panapa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 March, 2005 8:06 pm
platinummaori OWC
(@platinummaori-owc)

kia a jigger
the little I know is your grandfather was born in Maitahi,in Mamaranui which is in Dargaville and the one person who might help you is Maiti Nathan in Dargaville he sits on the paipai at Maitahi and Ahikiwi. The last number I have for him is 094398261 if that does not work you can try Charie Parkinson on 094398501 he will know how to get a hole of Maiti.
I hope this will help you

Go with peace

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 August, 2005 2:49 pm
platinummaori OWC
(@platinummaori-owc)

The marae is taita in mamaranui not maitahi sorry for the mistake lost of memory for a second maitahi is the resting place for our love ones as i like to put it

Go with peace

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 August, 2005 3:02 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

My sister is married to John Panapa,they live in Auckland and closely related to Bishop Panapa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2005 9:56 pm
naturalaz OWC
(@naturalaz-owc)

Kia ora,

You have an Aunty called Marie Panpapa (Noo Taranaki) at the head office of Te Wananga o Aotearoa as the Cultural Advisor. Her husband, Rewi Panapa only recently passed away and his brother Wayne is pretty high up in the police force. But they all grew up here in Kihikihi-Te Awamutu, Ngati Maniapoto. You could just ring the 0800 355 553 number and ask for Aunty Ma, they'll know who you're talking about as both of them were here from the beginning of the Wananga. Their father was Bishop Panapa. They're wonderful people and are all relatively still living in this area. Hope that helps you to get to know some of your whanau.

Na Theresa Aperehama
Ngati Maniapoto/Waikato/Ngati Kuri

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2005 5:00 pm
Animags OWC
(@animags-owc)

Nga mihi naturalaz
In reference to your korero regarding Matua Rewi, his papa was Pura Panapa and his mama was Pare Searancke whom is a sister to my Nana Taiwa (Eva) decendants of Ngati Ngawaero.
Matua Wayne or Aunty Ma, would be more than willing to assist you in any way in your journey tuahine. So please feel free to p/m me for contact details is need be. There are plenty of our Panapa whanau out there, some who may just have the info that you need. So I will put the feelers out that you are on this journey.

Piki te ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 October, 2005 9:00 pm
kuraz_finest OWC
(@kuraz_finest-owc)

Kia Ora Jigger
My name is Chasity Panapa, I am the great grand-daughter of Bishop Wiremu Netana Panapa & will be willing to give you any information I can acquire of our whanau.
Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 June, 2006 1:11 am
ayahs_tears OWC
(@ayahs_tears-owc)

Kia Ora Jigger,
My nana is Merero Panapa sister to Pura Panapa she is 89yrs old still well and healthy maybe she can help you out. She lives in Auckland. Feel free to contact me ayahs_tears@yahoo.com and i will be happy to put u onto her. To my knowledge i think she is the oldest Panapa living at present.
Kia Ora
Tania Wells

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2007 1:00 am
lushus OWC
(@lushus-owc)

Panapa Hohapata came from Taranaki, Ngati Ruanui. It was during a battle he was captured and brought to Ngati Whatua territory about 1818 where he married and settled in Ahikiwi.
he had 5 chn. 1.Te Kooti Hone Panapa 2. Netana Panapa 3.Kataraina Panapa 4.Tepora Panapa 5. Tamati Panapa . Tamati Panapa married Irihapeti Kapu,Tamati died when Irihapeti was 6months pregnant she married Te Kooti Hone Panapa and went on to have 12? more chn. Tamati's son was named Ngapera Panapa (my Mums father) My mother is 89yrs old and is the eldest living Panapa of her generation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2007 9:37 pm
ayahs_tears OWC
(@ayahs_tears-owc)

Kia Ora Lushus,
Good too see you putting in the history there for all of us.
Hope this helps Jigger out.
Ka korero au ki a koe i te po kei te haere au ki te Mahi inaianei BettyLee.

Ka kite
Tania

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2007 11:59 pm
Share: