Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PARIHI, Mereana whaea o nga POUTU katoa  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora,
Please excuse my spelling mistakes:
Im looking for any help finding my tupuna, Mereana Parihi. She was known to have lived in Towai, Ruapekapeka, Te Taitokerau before moving to the East Coast. Her son Wi Poutu son of R Maxwell, Wi married an East Coast wahine by the name of Maraea. They had nine tamariki. The second born Papa PineAmine was my gr8 grandfather. The younger four or five tamariki were born in Te Taitokerau, Ruapekapeka, Aperahama, all up in Ngapuhi.
Korero mai. Plez
Kia Hoki ano

Edited by - edwards.jacqueline on Jul 16 2005 06:23:11 AM

Edited by - edwards.jacqueline on Jul 16 2005 07:08:47 AM

peaceful regard
Jacqui

Posted : 13 July, 2005 1:39 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Jax

Are you able to provide any more information about your R Maxwell connection?

I have a feeling I may have had info relating to some of these names. However - and heres a warning to everybody else. I lost all my 3000 names through lightening hitting my computer. I had a spike board in but it didnt occur to me to disconnect the telecom connection, and we got hit through the phone cable. I usually have a backup but as this was also plugged in at the time it was also destroyed which has left me with all of what I recall from memory and some data committed to paper. On a brighter note it a good way to recall how well you really have learnt your whakapapa. If there is a connection it will be through the Maxwell line I think so any info you could provide there will be of help. Names, dates tribal areas etc should jog the grey matter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 July, 2005 8:38 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Arohamai Markonijoy,
I do not know much about that part of the familytree. Just a mere novice myself. But R, stands for Robert Maxwell, who was an English Trader back in the very Early 1800's.
East Coast NZ records show that Te Irimana Houturangi(Ngati Porou) with Mereana Parihi (Ngapuhi)arrived in Hicks Bay around 183? (and step-son, Wi Poutu)on a ship from Te Taitokerau, so I assume the biological link to R Maxwell ends with Wi Poutu. I hope that has been helpful.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 July, 2005 4:50 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Sorry its taken me so long to reply I couldnt recall what I answered this query under.
The Maxwell line I thought he may descend from was that which came from Thomas Maxwell a Scotsman (mariner/Trader) and Te Ngeungeu (of Ngai Tai, Umupuia)
They did have a son Robert but I felt your Robert may have been one of their grandsons? However there was no known English connection that Im aware of other than one son who went there and was never heard from again.
Good luck with your search anyway

Edited by - markonijoy on Aug 05 2005 01:06:55 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2005 8:06 am
Wake OWC
(@wake-owc)

Tena Jax

E mohio ana ahau tetahi wahine, ko Mere Parihi. Ka moe i a George Bryers (Ngati Manu uri o Te Whareumu), ka puta ki waho ko Eru Nehua Bryers (whanau mai i te tau 1877). Ka noho te wahine ra me tona pepi ki roto o Whakapara, tata ana ki Towai, ki Puhipuhi, ki Ruapekapeka (o roto o Ngati Hau).

Na Eru Nehua raua ko Tawaka (Ngati Hau - uri o Patuone) tera pepi whangai. Na, ka huaina te pepi ra ko "Erua Nehua Bryers". Koia te tupuna o nga Nehua-Bryers, pera hoki a Sonny Tau te Heamana o Te Runanga a Iwi o Ngapuhi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2005 9:07 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Tena koe ko Wake,
Tena koe mo ou whakaaro e pa ana tenei kuia a Mere Parihi. Kaore ano ahau kia kite a TRAION engari maku.
Kia ora

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 August, 2005 2:18 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

This might be of some help:

MEREANA PARIHI I = WILLIAM MAXWELL [1st spouse] = HOUTURANGI [2nd spouse]
|
WIREMU POUTU [MAXWELL] = MARAEA PUERE
|
|-MEREANA PARIHI II = MOHI TE PUREI
|-MATIU POUTU
|-HATI RAHARAHA POUTU
|-PINEAMINE POUTU = ATARANGI TUKINO
|-HEENI POUTU = ERU CAMPBELL
|-TE IRIMANA POUTU
|-MAATA RINGI POUTU = HIMIONA KURURANGI
|-WHATARAU POUTU = MERE TE IRI
|-ANI POUTU = HENRY McCLUTCHIE
|-IHIPERA POUTU = NED HARRISON [1st spouse] = WIKI ARA MAKUTU [2nd spouse]
|-KOMENE POUTU
|-PARATENE POUTU

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 March, 2006 12:09 am
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Thanks hohaia2 for the info.
I really appreciate this, truely. I have found out alot since I posted this thread, and I tell you it is wonderful. I still have many missing links but thats ok, in my train of thought I am only a learner. A townie, searching for a sense of belonging, the eldest of my line, which has already given our parents over 20 mokopuna. I am assuming you also have a link to this whakapapa and I hope to hear from you again someday. Kia ora.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2006 6:45 pm
punaruku OWC
(@punaruku-owc)

Me panui koe te pukapuka Wharekahika na Lloyd Lawson he mea ahua tawhito inaianei engari kai riera nga korero mo nga Poutu me nga Tipene me wetahi atu o nga ingoa whanau no Te Taitokerau.

Kai runga i te konae He waiata Onamata a Pine Poutu raua ko Tu Mahue e waiata ana Te waiata Tamaungaoterangi.

Ki taku mahara kai te pukapuka a Nga Kopara a Rongomaitapui te whakapapa mo Atarangi Tukino.

He whanau nui rawa te whanau Poutu i Wharekahika. Te maha hoki o ratou kai te kaenga tonu.

Mauriora

Punaruku

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 March, 2006 2:24 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Tena koe Punaruku,
Yes. I have read Lloyd Lawsons book, as well as Bob's book Nga kopara a Rongomaitapui, they are wonderful, and there are many family photo's in there including a couple of my great grand parents. I have been back to Wharekahika a few times in the last year and managed to learn many wonderful things. Kia ora Punaruku.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2006 2:31 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Hi Jax,

Im even more conviced we are talking about the same whanau. I dont have any names for the wives of our Williams or Wiremus but can send you some whakapapa for some members who were known by the above names. Send me a PM and I will forward it to you. Not promising its the right connections. Mohi also interconnects in 3 places Im aware of and Im waiting for some more data to arrive which apparently shows yet another connection -Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 5:32 am
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Markonijoy
That would be great, if you dont mind. It is exciting, trying to be a sleuth of sorts, especially with the researching of the Maxwell lines Robert or William (whakapapa from Hohaia2 above). That was where my confusion arose from, the only name I had was Roberts to start from.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 4:24 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

click on my name and send me a personal message with your email address
Im unable to post it in the forum as it was given to me on the understanding I would only pass it onto whanau members Ok
Generally speaking most tidbits you gain like the names Robert and William and Mereana Parahi will all fit into the picture- it is simply a case of discovering where, when and how
Hohaia2 and others are often the holders of the missing links we need. We are fortunate with this site to have many with the knowledge who are able and willing to share it.
Much healing has occurred through their efforts as people are able to reconnect where they come from and who they belong to

I was once told that the Tipuna leave us clues and when the time is deemed right for us to learn it, the key is unlocked and the information will come at a pace which will enable us to learn, understand and respect it- I think thats true
Joy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 6:06 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Nga rangatira hoa o Mere Parihi:

MERE PARAEA = HORI PARAEA [he hoa tuatahi]
| [a.k.a. GEORGE BRYERS]
ERU NEHUA BRYERS

MERE PARIHI = WI WAITOHI [he hoa tuarua]
|