Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PATENA or MARIU  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

I am doing my whakapapa on my grandmothers side. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is also researching this whanau, could they please get in touch with me, and we could share. I have direct lineage information, but I also want extended Whanau names, as much as I can get.
would appreciate anything

Edited by - janejune on May 22 2005 09:46:51 AM

Edited by - janejune on Jun 07 2005 2:54:35 PM

Posted : 22 May, 2005 9:46 am
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

Just to clarify things....
PATENA and MARIU are both surnames, If that helps any. I am looking for extended whanau. If anyone knows anyone by these names. I'd appreciate a reply
Kiaora
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 June, 2005 2:53 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe janejune,

If you make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club then put Mariu in the search box at the top right hand corner, you will find a few listings, likewise, if you do the same for Patena.

Also, if you go to www.familysearch.org and search for Mariu, setting the country to New Zealand, you will find listings there, as well as some that say Patena Or Mariu.

Good luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2005 5:56 pm
raukura OWC
(@raukura-owc)

Tena koe janejune

I'm very familiar with the names PATENA and MARIU both as surnames and, in some cases, firstnames. They're whanau and we all belong to NGATI TUWHARETOA.

Here are some contact that may help in your search:

MAORI LAND COURT
41 Town Centre
TURANGI
Fax: (07) 386 0183

* This is one of the regional Maori Land Courts which holds land block and related whakapapa information. You can find other contact details on the Te Puni Kokiri/Ministry of Maori Development website.

TUWHARETOA TRUST BOARD
Town Centre
TURANGI
Tel: (07) 386 8832

* The whanau here may help you if you say who you are, how you are connected (tupuna & whakapapa) and especially the reason(s) why you want such information.

LIBRARY / POSTOFFICE

* Go to your local library or postoffice and find a telephone book for the Tuwharetoa/Taupo region (I think Taupo/Turangi comes under the Bay of Plenty/Waiariki/Rotorua regional telephone book). The MARIU whanau are prominent within NGATI TUWHARETOA and some are listed there.

I hope this information helps.

Noho ora mai

Na Raukura

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2005 11:21 pm
merleormsby OWC
(@merleormsby-owc)

E-mail me, I will wait for your contact
merleormsby@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2005 10:50 pm
merleormsby OWC
(@merleormsby-owc)

Tena koe Jane, still haven't heard from you, guess youre a very busy lady, Was at the Tangi of your auntys' husband a couple of weeks ago, at
Rotoaira most of your whanau are well.
look forward to your response. Aunty Merle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2005 10:19 pm
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

Thank you all for your posts of suggestions for help.
I am In the U.S, and I wish I was back home to search more, but unfortunately I'm not. When I was home, I spent maybe 5 years searching through the land courts for my grandmothers whakapapa, just to find out who my tupuna are, and to pass the legacy on to my children.
I really want to know who the cousins are and extended whanau, the living, so I can make connections and link them up as a whole.
tnx
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2005 6:57 am
merleormsby OWC
(@merleormsby-owc)

Tena Koe Jane,I do not want to put our whakapapa on the web, you have my e-mail,can we talk thru
e-mail ? (personal) our children will love to meet you,you have whananu in Australia, Italy,
Europe/Scotland but to mention afew.
Look forward to hearing from u Aunty Merle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 12:06 am
merleormsby OWC
(@merleormsby-owc)

Kia ora Jane,technology allows us to communicate
where ever you are, Im' doing this with our own
whanau and extended whanau, you may not always get the the important little stories that go with
your lineage all the time, but that depends on how you want to work.again I look forward to your
contact. Aunty Merle

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2005 7:43 pm
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

Hello Aunty Merle...
I am wondering if you are getting my e-mails??
I hope so, I would like to call you, if I can.
let me know
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2005 8:00 pm
kerry OWC
(@kerry-owc)

Hello there Jane,
This is another Aunty.....Tiaho, Mary Pillot.....Aunty Merle's youngest sister.Looking forward to hearing from you. How is Mary and family? My email address is: kfgill@bigpond.net.au
Aunty Tiaho

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2005 11:53 pm
glstrongman OWC
(@glstrongman-owc)

tena koe jane my name is graham one of aunty merles nephews it sounds like you are another cousin.If im reading your panui right your grandmother and my grandmother are sisters.So if you want to e.mail me on glstrongman@xtra.co.nz i will be more than happy to fill you in on our whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 1:38 am
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

Kia Ora Graham and Mary
Thank you for making contact. Much appreciated.
Jane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2005 5:36 am
merleormsby OWC
(@merleormsby-owc)

Ten Koe Jane,when I looked at your research, I see you already have 2 sides to our whakapapa on the Patena- Mariu line, and possibly more than most of your local whanau,?I have corrected your greatgrandmothers'name Maata Wherowhero not Martha,how come? until me, I was the only one with that name in our whanau, I am also mindfull of the resources the LatterDay Saints have compiled on Whakapapa which ensures access is
easy,You have done a great job. Love U Aunty Merle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 June, 2005 9:46 pm
janejune OWC
(@janejune-owc)

thank you Aunty Merle for all the information you have relayed to me. So precious!!
I have been researching my whakapapa for at least 20 yrs now, and when in N.Z I lived at the Maori land courts, gathering and gleaning information, sorting,and with prayer...finding a place for all the individuals in the Whanau. With all this information I was able to submit the work into the LDS.org. Seeing as how I am Latter-day -Saint.
To me, Whakapapa is more than just lineage and Whanau but a saving work for our deceased loved ones. I am honored and priviliged to work with my ancestors.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 June, 2005 6:40 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: