Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

PIWARI  

RSS
rangipiwari OWC
(@rangipiwari-owc)

PIWARI WHANAU

My great grandfather is "Te Horo Piwari", my grandfather is Edward Piwari who are from the Chatham Islands (Rekohu/Wharekauri) I believe they are both Moriori. Te Horo's wife is "Kupa" but Im not sure of her maiden name. I know they both lived on the Islands and I do believe they are both buried on the Island. Someone down there must know the name, or knew of the family. Ive read Michael Kings books who speak of the "Piwari" whanau, searched the internet widely, with some success in connecting with the Tuuta (Tuta) whanau. There is a street in Ohakune named "Piwari" but not sure where to get any information about how this name became part of this area, but not much more than that. We know there are other "Piwari" in existence today, its trying to tie the connections. So if anyone can share some light on this matter would really appreciate a response.

Edited by - rangipiwari on Mar 29 2007 10:27:58 PM

Posted : 22 March, 2005 5:11 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe Rangipiwari

Below is another listing on geocities, searching for whanau Piwari.

Although the post was in 2002, It may be a start to email the below person.

Te Ruiwhi Piwari
Taranaki Chathams Is.
Debralea Leslie:debralea@karoro.co.nz:
March 19th 2002

This website gives a little info on the chathlam Is, from 1791 = 1984 - nga waka, tribal affliations and churches, It also lists
Charles Piwari, 1901, hopefully you may find some information here as another starting point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 11:49 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Kia ora Rangi Piwari
If my memory serves me right. In the Taranaki Land Wars pre 1862 before the signing of the treaty Prisoners where Taken Without Trial and shipped to the South Island and Chatham Island. Some where used for building roads. A high percentage died in the jails where they were held in detention.

Check out you local library or get this book
"Ask That Mountain" The story of Parihaka by Dick Scott Its a good read on Taranaki History and has other source references.

Kia ora Pearlau your post rattled my brains.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 1:57 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena korua

Aroha mai, I did not post the website pertaining to chathlam Is, from 1791 = 1984 - nga waka, tribal affliations and churches.

Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/7572/chatham.txt

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 March, 2005 8:18 am
mana79 OWC
(@mana79-owc)

Kia Ora Rangi

My nanas a Remihana/Remi and a kerei from the chathams and she ties into the Tuuta whanau I do remember her telling me that the koro Joe Piwari who passed away in the mid 1990's was her nephew/cousin or something like that from the chathams. and his whanau live in Porirua and Tauranga, so they might be able to help you clear things up a lil bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 April, 2007 5:15 pm
mana79 OWC
(@mana79-owc)

Kia ora ano

I got the name of the koro that passed away. sorry

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 April, 2007 6:04 pm
Share: