Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

POKAI Hori  

RSS
Angel1 OWC
(@angel1-owc)

I'm looking for any information on my 4th greatgrand father He was Ngati Paoa lived in Thames and on Waiheke Island would like to find information on his mother and father and siblings I would appreciate any info
thank you

Posted : 09 May, 2007 12:47 pm
Munch OWC
(@munch-owc)

Tena Koe Angel1
There's a photo/portrait of a Hori Pokai at my marae in Kaiaua. I don't know if it's the 1st Hori Pokai (also known as Hori Kingi Pokai Te Ruinga) or his son Hori Rakena Pokai. I descend from the 1st Hori Pokai's sister Mihingarangi. I'll look through our whakapapa records for the rest of the information for you.
Aavjo!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2007 5:10 pm
Angel1 OWC
(@angel1-owc)

quote:

Tena Koe Angel1
There's a photo/portrait of a Hori Pokai at my marae in Kaiaua. I don't know if it's the 1st Hori Pokai (also known as Hori Kingi Pokai Te Ruinga) or his son Hori Rakena Pokai. I descend from the 1st Hori Pokai's sister Mihingarangi. I'll look through our whakapapa records for the
rest of the information for you.
Aavjo!

Hi Munch
Thank you for replying I would appreciate as much info that you can give. would this mean that you would be a cousin?. The only paintings I know of where done by the painter Goldie but I'm not sure if they where of Kingi or Rakena.
Angelia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2007 9:45 pm
Munch OWC
(@munch-owc)

Kia ora koe, Angelia Enjoy!!
Paternal Grandparents: Te Mahia & Mahora
(Mahora is the great-great-grand-daughter of Paoa)
They had 4 children: Te Haupa, Te Waero, Pokai & a daughter called Tiatia.

Pokai married Te Wera Patupatu & they had 2 children: Hori Pokai & Mihingarangi.

Hori Pokai married Mata Te Mahirahi & they had 2 sons: Aperahama Te Hiwinui Pokai & Hori Rakena Pokai.

According to Hori Pokai's obituary notice printed in the Maori newspaper: Ko Aotearoa or The Maori Recorder Vol 1, No 1 (Jan 1861), he passed away on August 16 1860. It also mentions his strong faith in Christianity.

It's ironic that I know more about Hori Pokai than I do about his sister Mihingarangi. But hei aha, when you begin this journey, you will find there is always a reason why they (the tupuna) guide you down certain paths. So just go with the flow & enjoy the ride

Oh, the Goldie painting was of Hori Pokai & not Rakena. I think the photo at my marae is of Rakena. Will find out though.

Ka kite ano, cousin!

Edited by - Munch on Sep 13 2007 3:43:14 PM

Edited by - Munch on Sep 13 2007 3:45:19 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2007 3:40 pm
gerrardblue OWC
(@gerrardblue-owc)

kia ora my mum a pokai her name rose

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2007 9:53 pm
Jaymac OWC
(@jaymac-owc)

Hi there - I am of Ngati Paoa descent and looking for relatives from Pokai. I believe Hori Pokai is my relatives brother. Her name was Wehi Pokai and she married a white man named Thomas Webb. they spent time at Waiheke Island. Does that track with any of your relatives?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2008 9:10 am
catspaw OWC
(@catspaw-owc)

Hi Jaymac - I am also a descendant of Wehi & Thomas Webb. The Webb family has done extensive research into our whakapapa -
none of done by me sadly - one day, perhaps!
Info on descendants is better than that on ancestors, but there
are family stories.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 February, 2008 11:50 am
Angel1 OWC
(@angel1-owc)

I would love to hear all about the stories you have and if you have any info I would be interested in that to it's so neat to know theres so many family members out there

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 February, 2008 7:41 pm
Share: