Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

pokaiwhenua  

RSS
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

I came across the bridge sign named pokaiwhenua not far from the mangakaretu marae, putaruru.
Just wondering, same person tamateapokaiwhenua?

iwipupu was mentioned in our koroua korero

Edited by - pono on May 18 2007 6:20:25 PM

Posted : 18 May, 2007 6:13 pm
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

I know the pokaiwhenua stream bridge you are talking about that heads out to Te waotu from Putaruru.
The stream springs from the Horohoro ranges which is one of the Raukawa boundry points, and is stated in Erenora Taratoa's patetere of Poi atu taku poi, in the verse, " Tapapa ana i te hiwi ki Horohoro, kia matai tonu au ki Tarawera,...
The pokaiwhenua stream flows from the back of Horohoro down to the Te Tokoroa Valley down to Putaruru and exits into the Waikato River near the ancient ancestral waikato river crossing called Aniwaniwa which Mahina-a-rangi crossed to get to the Maungatautari mountain side.
The Pokaiwhenua was a ancestral land divider of the surrounding lands belonging to the sub-tribes of Raukawa.
Funny enough, the marae Rongomaipaapaa is situated at Horohoro.

Maybe that's what it is meant in one of our songs back home " he putanga ariki, no Rongomai e"
All I know our links to Kahungunu and Iwi-pupu come thru our Tauranga inter-marriages and Kahungunu and Rongomaiwahine thru Mahina-a-rangi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 May, 2007 12:24 am
Share: