Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

POTIKI, Ihaia: Info on my Great Great Grandfather  

RSS
Elsie OWC
(@elsie-owc)

Kiaora
I would appreciate any feedback or information concerning my great great grandfather Ihaia Potiki. For instance, who where his parents, Mother/Father. To date i have not beem able to locate any records which is not unusual during their era. Thank you.

Posted : 06 April, 2005 4:01 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Elsie,

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Potiki in the Last Name search box, set the country to New Zealand, you will be able to find a record Ihaia Potiki as well as others by the same name. check them all out.

Also, be aware taht not all info at that site is correct, but it is a great place to start.

Good luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 5:19 pm
Elsie OWC
(@elsie-owc)

Thank you very much for your help.

Ahakoa he iti, He Pounamu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2005 6:29 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano,

Try putting "Ihaia Potiki" with the "" in the google search and you will find a couple more pages with your Tupuna name in them

You could also try the Ngai Tahu Whakapapa Unit.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 1:37 am
Elsie OWC
(@elsie-owc)

Kia ora Poutokomanawa mo tou awhi,
Thank you for the info.

Na Elsie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 April, 2005 12:36 pm
Elsie OWC
(@elsie-owc)

He mihi nui tenei ki a koe e ChrisM,
In my research I discovered an article called the "Blue Book" and in this book there are Kaumatua dating back to 1848,I have since applied for registration forms and a copy of this book,to be sent to me.Apparently it goes something like this, if you can tatai,(blood ties)back to any of these Kaumatua/Kuia which we can,then we register,and bob's your uncle.
In the meantime Ill certainly keep in touch and let you know how it's all going.Oh yeah my G/G/G/G/G/Grandfather was Wiremu Nera Potiki of the Ngatiteruahikihiki Ki Otakau iwi.Call you later.
Noho ora mai koe me to whanau.
Na Elsie Komene.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 April, 2005 2:58 pm
Huirapa
(@huirapa)

To ChrisM as for trying to contact Whakapapa Ngai Tahu just pick up the phone and dial 08005248248 free of charge and ask for the whakapapa unit. They are only to pleased to help whanau.
Elsie is correct also in that in 1848 a census was taken in the south island of all maori living at the time. This census is the basis of Ngai Tahu wakapapa in that to register with Ngai Tahu you must be able to trace your whakapapa back to at least on of these Kaumatua listed in the Ngai Tahu Kaumatua Alive in 1848 or more commonly referred to as the "Blue Book"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2005 4:26 pm
chocy_gumdrops OWC
(@chocy_gumdrops-owc)

In regards to the information in the blue book each kuamatua in it has a list number in the case of Ihaia Potiki his file number was 32 therefore if you get in touch with the whakapapa people at Ngai Tahu and ask them if you can get a copy of File 32 it shows some of the whakapapa cant say how much all depends on the info they have on hand but it should be of a lot of help
Ive done much research of my whanau thru the ngai tahu files

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 April, 2006 2:09 pm
chocy_gumdrops OWC
(@chocy_gumdrops-owc)

other names associated with Ihaia Potiki in the Blue book are Hapa Tahuna and Henare Huatakitaki
Hope these names help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 April, 2006 2:15 pm
Share: