Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RANGIMAHORA: from Tainui to North  

RSS
razer OWC
(@razer-owc)

Kia ora,
I am searching for information about a tupuna named Rangimahora. It is said that with others she was captured by Hongi Hika from the Tainui area and taken up North. She was apparently already hapu [from Tainui] but later lived with Ihaka Tihei who raised the child. He named the child Wiremu Ututaonga [Revenge gift] Tihei. He is my grandmother's grandfather. Does anyone have information about a Rangimahora from Tainui taken up North?

Edited by - razer on Aug 29 2005 8:17:40 PM

Posted : 29 August, 2005 8:00 pm
Maryanne OWC
(@maryanne-owc)

Hi Raewyn, Im searching along the same line, Wiremu the 1st was my great grandfather, his son Wiremu Ihaka the 2nd my grandfather, his son Wiremu the 3rd my father.Story I know of is that Rangimahora of Motokitaki Pa (near Pironga on the Waipa river) captured (as you know),but was possibly already married to WaWahangi, so he could have been Wiremu's father.I never could figure out who Tihei was. Maryanne

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 May, 2006 7:14 pm
hippo OWC
(@hippo-owc)

Kia Ora,
RangiMahora - Tainui - Far North

I have registered to this site, as my older sister's name is RangiMahora Tarapipipi - our whakapapa is Tainui Iwi Ngaati Haua. Her christian name is a given name only by permission passed from our aunt. Only in the past week have i become more intrigued by her name. At this present time she has moved back to Whangarei & it is there that we have begun searching for answer's on her Christian name.
But as i have begun to find that our ancestors from Tainui, not much information has been passed down, so our father can only provide fill in little details.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 July, 2007 3:30 pm
Share: