Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RANGINUI, Miriama and Walter  

RSS
Triscina OWC
(@triscina-owc)

Looking for any information on my late grandparents.Would love to be incontact of any family members.

Posted : 07 April, 2005 3:28 pm
Triscina OWC
(@triscina-owc)

I believe my great grandmother was from Levin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 April, 2005 3:36 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe Triscina,

Make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club then click "Full Search" and put in Ranginui. While most of the results probably apply to Ngati Ranginui, there may be some info there for you.

Another Option is to go to www.familysearch.org and put ranginui in last name, set the country to New Zealand and have a look amoung those results.

Good luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 1:44 am
Triscina OWC
(@triscina-owc)

Kia Ora Poutokomanawa,I got onto the site you suggested and I found what I was looking for.I found Wiremu Ranginui but discovered his name was Te Matakatea,also Wiremu Matakatea and also was known as "moki"who was a warrior leader from Taranaki.He was the principal chief of Ngat Haumiti.
I was not sure if it was him at first because he seemed to have several names but a picture comes up of him which I have the exact photo of him so that I could identify him.Thank you so much for your help.I am now off to a start of finding my ancestors and where my family are from.
If there is anyone else that knows anymore information of my great great great grandfather,I would love to hear anything.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 3:44 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Triscina,
I have been reading your information about Wiremu Matakatea and am interested to see the same information you have accessed with the photograph of him. If my thinking is right he is my great grandfather. Was the site you went to familysearch.org or were you searching on the whakapapaclub site. Would love to have a copy of his photograph!
Karen Berryman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 October, 2005 10:58 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Triscina,
Almost forgot to tell you that I have a photo of Miriama Matakatea and her mother Ruta I. If you would like to have copies just let me know. Ruta I married ReteteKiri and some of their whakapapa can be found in the book, "Rangitane:A tribal History" by J.M. McEwen, pages 247,245. You can purchase this book or check to see if it is not in a library near you. Hope you find as much joy as I have in unfolding the information that pertains to those who have gone before us.
Karen Berryman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 October, 2005 12:02 am
Share: