Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RATU: Looking for connections  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

I am searching for informataion on my fathers side.
My grandfathers name was Tikataha Benjamin Matua Ratu, married Mereana Rogers from Pupuke, Kaeo, and on the http://www.familysearch.org website,it states the birth place of my grandfathers as Waiuku. However I was led to believe the Ratu originated from Kawhia.
many of the sisters/brothers have different birth places listed on the familysearch.org site.

If anyone can give me any information as to where the whanau links originate from, I would be very appreciative.

Posted : 06 February, 2005 11:17 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora pearlau,

Ah, the anomalies of the familysearch site I use that site as a starting place and then, like you, look for other places for confirmation.

If you know the name of your great grandfather then search for that name, as that may be where Kawhia comes in. Else back further if you can.

When you search for a tupuna who only has one name, put that name in the surname box as that is how you find tupuna with one name only.

Another thing to remember is that where a person is born is not necessarily where they are from. For example, Maori born in Auckland are not necessarily from there and Maori born in Australia - their Maori side is not from there either!

The best way to confirm where a whanau is from is through the Maori Land Court (MLC) records, as land is usually inherited through whakapapa and blood.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2005 3:10 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Thanks for the guidance and direction

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2005 6:31 pm
TeRopata
(@teropata)

kia ora pearlau,
my mother was a Ratu and she has roots in Kawhia. Although the majority of her people whakapapa back to Taanehopuwai Marae in Te Kuiti (or Ngati Apakura ki Maniapoto)

I believe that this was a tupuna name (Te Ratu Poppa) and obviously the name Ratu simply came into being by dropping the other parts attached. i do have an uncle in Kawhia who can whakapapa a lot better than I can at present.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 May, 2005 4:41 pm
TeRopata
(@teropata)

Kia ora ano,

I remember that there were two of my mothers cousins who moved up to the far north to Te Kao one was a Jack Ratu and he had a brother called Ben Ratu who, last time I heard, was alive and well in Papakura. Jack's wife was named Mary not sure of the surname tho. The other brother who went north as well was Danny ratu

Edited by - Te Whatoro on May 19 2005 4:39:47 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2005 3:52 pm
azzarian
(@azzarian)

Kia Ora Te Whatoro,

Papa (Ben Ratu) is as you said alive and well, and still in Papakura. Pearlau Papa Ben's home number is in the white pages, Old Wairoa Road, Papakura. Papa has alot of knowledge about his family you should try and contact him Im sure he would be only to happy to help you as he has helped our family in many ways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 May, 2005 12:32 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Kia ora Te Whatoro raua ko Azzarian

Many thanks for the information you both have provided.

My fathers brother was a Ben Ratu, who passed away some 42 years ago.

My father and his whanau where born and raised in Pupuke, Kaeo, and were unsure where they hailed from, and did not know any whanau from their side. My father would be 78yrs old now and was the second youngest of his whanau

My gradfather Tikataha Benjamin Ratu passed away when my father was a baby, hence them being raised by their mother on her side of the whanau

My Fathers siblings names were

Amy
Benjamin
Molly
Mary
Mina
William
Nolan

Azzarian, I will ring our whanaunga Ben in Papakura, I remember meeting a Ben at my mothers place in Auckland,some years ago, who was at that time doing the whakapapa on the Ratu side - he was a minister.

Kia ora ano kia korua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 June, 2005 3:51 pm
Rereahu ahau OWC
(@rereahu-ahau-owc)

Tena Koe?

Yes Uncle Ben is alive and not so sure about the well bit, however he has a wealth of knowledge and yes he still lives at Old Wairoa Road, my korero is this dont wait too long OK?

Barbi Taniora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 June, 2005 12:02 pm
TeRopata
(@teropata)

Tena Korua.

That's news to me and another reason why this is such a great medium. I left Auckland for Dunedin and to know that my mothers cousin is ill leaves me in a sad state. Ben and his brother Mick (in Kawhia) are the last two males of their generation still alive in my whanau - so thank you for that piece of news.

noho ora mai korua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2005 12:41 pm
Wharetapu OWC
(@wharetapu-owc)

Kia Ora Tuahine,

I have some whanau here in Waimana (Tuhoe) named Kelly Kaata (Ratu) who was whangai in Ruatoki, Marie, Joe, Tu and Kawe Ratu (MClean) who were also whangai in Waiohau. Jacob Ratu was whangai in Waimana to Ted Rakuraku. Any other queries make direct contact with Marie Stewart (nee Ratu/MClean). PO BOX 27, WAIMANA. She will or might know of the ones in Te Awamutu. Thats where I beleive the Ratu whakapapa originated from.

Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 July, 2005 1:15 pm
TeRopata
(@teropata)

Kia ora Wharetapu,

I also believe that the Keepa whanau of Tuhoe also have some connection too. I know about the Mclean whanau as I had spent a great deal of time with Rangi and his bro in Taamaki Maakaurau - thanks for the reminder.

Mauri ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 August, 2005 4:25 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Kia Ora
Great were the gardens of the King!! To feed the people
Mokai Kainga a Koroki is the Marae that the Ratu Whanau come from in Aotea/Kawhia great gardeners they are and beautiful people indeed.
They are whanau to us at Okapu and many ties to all the Marae in Kawhia because we are all united under the Kingitanga.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2006 1:16 pm
nolan OWC
(@nolan-owc)

Tena koe Pearl,some of my closest relations are Ratu's originating from Kawhia, Te Kuiti and various parts of Te Rohe Potae. Uncle Tom Ratu had 2 daughters Kuini and the other one has just gone from my memory bank and also a son Monty. I do beleive he has or had a brother called Mick.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2006 3:58 pm
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Kia ora,
Original statement " birthplace Waiuku."
The Ratu whanau are from Waiuku o Ngati Teata. Two brothers, Winiti and Purei went north to kaeo 1800's and Winiti married into the Rogers Family.
When King Tawhiao asked for support the Ratu families went to the Pirongia/ Kawhia area.
Those are the two connections and further/in depth whakapapa will follow if my source permits.

Pi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2006 6:59 pm
TeRopata
(@teropata)

Monty is my mothers brother and she was a daughter of Tautete or Dick Ratu. Tom Ratu had Jean, Te Ra (Kuini), Eileen (Dudu), Tame (jnr), Whanga and Bella or pera.

Mick Ratu (who celebrated his 80th birthday last year)comes from another brother Taiwhanga, who was the mataamua to both Tom and Dick.

Dick had Sophie, Martha, Monty, Albert, Sally, Tony, Dick, Ruby, Linda, Betty and then Nora.

There is a "Ratu" whakapapa which has it's origins in Waiuku too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2006 5:13 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: