Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

RAWIRI, Metiria: IWI and/or HAPU OF. WHIRINAKI/OPONONI/HOKIANGA  

RSS
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Im a 39yo student on the TWOA Mauri Ora Programme/Certificate
Im looking for help with any information about the whanau of "Metiria Rawiri" from Whirinaki/Opononi/Hokianga - for my studies and so that i can also identify with my grandmother's & mother's iwi/hapu.

Unfortunately i do not know enough about/of my grandmother's iwi or hapu relationships before pakeha contact. ie. i am trying to provide short answers/examples for the following questions.

1. Using the Iwi "Ngapuhi" Identify 3 iwi relationships with other iwi or hapu through bloodlines or decent (prior to pakeha contact) &

2. Describe 2 events that affected the relationship of this iwi or hapu to other iwi or hapu (prior to pakeha contact)

Is it just me, or are these questions alot harder than they sound

i thought it was important for me not to assume that my late grandmother who passed before i was born, was of Ngapuhi - so, this prompted me to find out for sure about what my tipuna's iwi & hapu are. To go back to pre-european times i would need to go back at least 3or4 generations.

If you are able to help me relate the above 2 patai to my whakapapa you will have revived me from ignorance. Here is what i have about my grandmother: Her whanau are from Whirinaki near Opononi/Hokianga (marae name:unknown)
Her name is Metiria Rawiri of >Hone Rawiri & Matapuna.
Hone Rawiri of>Mamae Rawiri.
Matapuna of>(f)Te Wi Kingi or Matapuna Te Wi or Meteria Te Kingi.

Tena koe, this is my very first posting
I value your response

Edited by - teawaiti on Jan 07 2007 8:30:49 PM

Posted : 05 January, 2007 6:08 pm
orabalms@slingshot.co.nz OWC
(@orabalmsslingshot-co-nz-owc)

kia ora teawaiti
my name is Katherine Morunga & I live in Whirinaki, Hokianga I have a uncle who lives here in Whirinaki & can help you with your search his name is Ben Morunga & he is very knowledgeable about yours & mine whakapapa you can contact him on 09 4058 831. I hope this helps somewhat good luck on your journey.

Im looking for help with any information about the whanau of "Metiria Rawiri" from Whirinaki/Opononi/Hokianga - for my studies and so that i can also identify with my grandmother's & mother's iwi/hapu.

Unfortunately i do not know enough about/of my grandmother's iwi or hapu relationships before pakeha contact. ie. i am trying to provide short answers/examples for the following questions.

1. Using the Iwi "Ngapuhi" Identify 3 iwi relationships with other iwi or hapu through bloodlines or decent (prior to pakeha contact) &

2. Describe 2 events that affected the relationship of this iwi or hapu to other iwi or hapu (prior to pakeha contact)

i thought it was important for me not to assume that my late grandmother who passed before i was born, was of Ngapuhi - so, this prompted me to find out for sure about what my tipuna's iwi & hapu are. To go back to pre-european times i would need to go back at least 3or4 generations.

If you are able to help me relate the above 2 patai to my whakapapa you will have revived me from ignorance. Here is what i have about my grandmother: Her whanau are from Whirinaki near Opononi/Hokianga (marae name:unknown)

I value your response

[/quote]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 10:02 am
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

Thank you very much for the contact. My mum Ada was whangai as a child but she did go to Whirinaki once to meet her mothers whanau - and she said that they were very kind and friendly.

Can you tell me the name of their marae ? and what you love most about living in Whirinaki ?
as i read about how your community pulled together during the big flood while doing my searches. Tena koe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 11:16 am
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Matai Aranui (Mataiaranui) Marae, Wikaira Road, Whirinaki.

Wikaira is a Whanau living/from there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 12:03 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

I just fininshed talking to my tutor and she said for me to search for Ngapuhi iwi connections thru their waka Ngatokimatawhaorua and Mamari - as there is a story about two brothers who parted and continued onto separate areas and iwi - i think Rarawa is one of these.

If anyone knows about these links, please share

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 2:34 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

quote:

Matai Aranui (Mataiaranui) Marae, Wikaira Road, Whirinaki.

Wikaira is a Whanau living/from there.

Is this the Rawiri whanau's marae?
If so, do you know the name of their hapu?

Kia ora - finding out about my nanna, this means alot to me!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 2:57 pm
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Sorry, I don't know about Rawiri Whanau, the Marae information came from a Wikaira kuia.

Also, I can't help with regard to Ngatokimatawhaorua either, because as the 31st generation of Kupe, my waka is Matawhaorua.

Perhaps someone else who reads your korero may be able to help.

Good Luck with yours studies.

Kia Ora ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2007 12:23 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

You could contact Dr Cleve Barlow at Auckland University who is a member of the Wikaira whanau and may be able to give you the needed whakapapa or point you to someone who can. There are three marae in Whirinaki and all belong to Te Hikutu hapu of Ngapuhi. The other two marae are Moria and ??? (escapes me for the moment).

I value your response

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2007 6:25 pm
teawaiti OWC
(@teawaiti-owc)

To orabalms and Retimana,
thank you for your leads - which i will investigate further.
I now have more than enough information for my studies about Ngapuhi iwi using a google search for "Ngatokimatawhaoroa" waka like my tutor said and I thoroughly recommend Hector Mattews 13-14page
"Te Rarawa" tribal research paper:thu his homepage

http://www.angelfire.com/me/matthewsfamily
Please acknowledge his request to respect the kaupapa & whakapapa contents/of. This is relevant to most Northern tribes - not just Te Rarawa!!

Also the following websites to anyone trying to source tribal iwi/hapu/waiata/image/stories & Biography - for fast/easy free online access:

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/classroom/toolbox/toolbox-tereo
When you select from the list of iwi the information is all in te reo Maori - if you want to read in english, just click for english on the top right hand corner (after you select an iwi)

http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp
This site (and the printed volumes) contains:
the biographies of 3,049 people in 2,977 biographical essays
the biographies of 492 Maori people in 481 essays, translated into Maori from the English-language biographies - IT IS A DATABASE AND YOU HAVE TO TYPE IN A NAME(S)/PLACE/OCCUPATION ETC.

http://www.tehikutu.co.nz/kaupapa.htm#Whirinaki%20Large
THE KAUPAPA: WHIRINAKI IS HERE (IN THE WORLD!)

& YES I THINK I FOUND MY NANA'S MARAE & HAPU WHO IM JUST ABOUT TO EMAIL: Their contact is:

http://www.tehikutu.co.nz/contact.htm

http://www.ngapuhi.iwi.nz/
Register your "Ngapuhi" whanau: By downloading forms to print off.

http://www.pcreview.co.nz/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=38
Here you will find links to iwi & hapu websites
(Runanga)

IF YOU VALUE FREE INFORMATION AND RESOURCES & QUICK ACCESS INFORMATION - you may want to save these links to your favorites.

Regards teawaiti

PS and with the whakapapa tables on page 12-13 of Hector Mattews tribal research paper - I WILL BE ABLE TO LINK BACK TO MY HAPU'S WAKA.

Ki te pai & tino pai - AND REMEMBER

"IF YOU HAVE WHANAU - YOU ARE RICH !!"
My dad said

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2007 7:30 pm
Share: