Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

SAVAGE, Benjamin Boscawen: Help with whakapapa  

RSS
csavage OWC
(@csavage-owc)

Kia ora,

I'm trying to find infomation of my great grandfather x4 (Benjamin Boscawen Savage) there is alot of information about my great grandmother x4 (Ngatira Te Kiri), it would be good to know more about my great grandfather x4

All information posted concerning this is very much appreciated

Thank you, Connie

Posted : 09 March, 2008 10:24 am
Jo Cutler OWC
(@jo-cutler-owc)

quote:

Kia ora,

I'm trying to find infomation of my great grandfather x4 (Benjamin Boscawen Savage) there is alot of information about my great grandmother x4 (Ngatira Te Kiri), it would be good to know more about my great grandfather x4

All information posted concerning this is very much appreciated

Thank you, Connie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2008 7:53 am
Jo Cutler OWC
(@jo-cutler-owc)

Hi Connie,

Benjamin Boscawen Savage is also my Great Grandfather x4, I was lucky enough to visit the Awakaponga cemetery where he is buried in Matata along with many of his descendants at christmas whilst visiting whanau at home. I was given information about him by my Aunt who has done some research but also went on the web site Genealogy.com where David Potter had posted some information which was helpful.

In a nutshell, he was born in the State of Maine, USA, worked his passage to NZ, set up a whaling station & flax mill in Tekaha. Lived with a local woman Merehana (not sure if they married) & then married Ngatira te Kiri (Ngatira Tangihia)please note that this is the information that I have sourced. I also welcome more information.

Jo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2008 8:39 am
kairangahau
(@kairangahau)

Kia Ora Connie...& Jo, i am also a decendant of Benjamin Boscawen Savage and Ngatira te Kiri. I also am researching my whakapapa and would appreciate more information. I too recently found Awakaponga cemetery without even knowing where it was. You know lots about Ngatira te Kiri, Connie? Cool i know very little...... David Potter has published alot of his research...more of this can be found at www.rangitihi.com. He lists several references including a book called "The Antecedents and early life of Valentine Savage known as Taina" recounted by GM Henderson (published by Wingfield Press)I have a treasured copy of this book and recounts alot of Ben's early life in NZ. I know of other copies of this book that are for sale in NZ for $30-$50. I would love to share information with both of you about our tupuna. Please send a private message to do this if you want.

Arohanui
Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2008 7:00 am
Share: