Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

STOCKMAN/MARSH/BRISCOE Whakapapa line  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Nu OWC
(@nu-owc)

Looking for any information re Edward William Stockman, arrived in NZ circa 1840, became a respected Maori Interpreter, married Emma TeKakati, died 1903

Eldest daughter of the above was Sarah Stockman who married Esau Marsh. Their Eldest daughter Sarah Jane Marsh married Albert Briscoe and their Second Eldest daughter was Bertha Briscoe. (Bertha and her elder sister Kate adopted by Albert and their father is unknown). Bertha briscoe is said to have had connections to a person called "Ironside" (any information on who this is?) as well as to maraes - Parihaka & Whenakura among others if this helps. Want to find out the connections between Te Atiawa and Ngati Awa within this line, and the hapu Ngati Rahiri.

I understand that Marsh was commonly known as Maihi in that period and Stockman as Takehana. Any help on this family tree or if someone is quite knowledgeable on the line from Edward Stockman ad Emma TeKakati I would love to hear from you.

I see that in 2004 similar questions were asked on this site but no record of any answers to the query.

Posted : 22 May, 2007 8:29 pm
barbaramary OWC
(@barbaramary-owc)

Hi I was fortunate to have been brought up by this onderful family my father was George Esau Marsh and his mother was Mabel Stockman who married James Esau Marsh but i will find out more from my mum

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 June, 2007 10:08 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Have you a email address or phone number.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 June, 2007 7:03 am
ddblue
(@ddblue)

I would be interested to know any details of Edward William Stockman as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 June, 2007 10:07 am
Britkiwi OWC
(@britkiwi-owc)

I think Edward William Stockman born 13.1.1813 Hampshire, England was the son of Edward Stockman (b. 1790 Hampshire, England) and Emma Payne (married 10.12.1810).
I also would be pleased to know anything else about the Stockman/Marsh family. I have more info on the Marsh side in UK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2007 3:48 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

The name Ironside may have been the priest at the time, there was one called Samuel Ironside that I have seen in a book before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 June, 2007 5:10 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Kia ora,

Take a look at the bio for Samuel Ironside
http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=1I3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 June, 2007 12:34 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Here is the Google link for future research:
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-27,GGLG:en&q=Samuel+Ironside

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 June, 2007 12:37 pm
Tayah OWC
(@tayah-owc)

I am helping with some research about Edward Stockman to identify whakapapa links.Apparently he had 3 Maori wives. Have an obituary notice from the Taranaki Herald for Sarah Marsh, giving the names of 15 children, (8 sons, 7 daughters) she had with Esau Marsh.
Am keen to find out further Maori info. Have a name Toumairangi Te Kakati as Edward Stockman's first wife. Also reference to a Chief Paoro and Chief Te Mahutu.. not certain if spelling correct
Any info very welcome

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 June, 2007 4:19 pm
cowmaid OWC
(@cowmaid-owc)

EDWARD STOCKMAN12/01/11885-6/07/1903 HAD 3 CHILDREN WITH TOUMAIRANGI TE KAKATI, GEORGE 13/09/1840, SARAH 15/11/1849, EM0MA17/03/1856,,EDWARD ARRIVED IN NEW ZEALAND IN 1832 BASED AT KAWHIA TOO MUCH FOR ME TO WRITE BUT LOTS OF INFO AROUND ABOUT THE MARSH AND STOCKMAN FAMILIES YOU CAN PHONE ME ON 03 3255870 BARBARA Nee STOCKMAN ALSO HAVE INFO ON NGATI RAHIRI WHICH IN FACT HAD IWI STATUS UNTIL TE ATIAWA CAME INTO BEING ..NGATI RAHIRI HAS ITS OWN HAPU SORRY L CANT WRITE MORE AM TOO SLOW

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 June, 2007 10:51 pm
vel53 OWC
(@vel53-owc)

Edward Wm Stockman was b. 12/01/1815. Portsea, Hampshire, England, the son of Edward Wm Stockman and Emma Paine. Edward and Emma were married 10 Dec 1810, Subdeanery of Chicchester Or Saint Peter the Great, Chichester, Sussex, England.
Edward Wm Stockman, b. 1815 arrived in NZ as a whaler around 1832. Married Toumairangi te Kakati abt 1840 Kawhia. He was granted his Native Interpreters license Jun 6th 1872. Hera Stockman m. Esau Marsh, 1865 in the Stockman Homestead. Sarah Jane Marsh m Albert Wm Briscoe, 1891 Waitara. The two children of Sarah's,Bertha (Aunt Tot)m. John Pepperell; Kate m Lou Rampton. Both these Aunt's, were not adopted by Briscoe, they attained the surname, when their mother married. In Albert's death notice, these two girls were not listed, nor on his death certificate. Ironside was a Wesleyian Missionary; and yes there was talk that he was the possible father of Bertha. Kate is buried in Opunake, and Bertha at Rahotu.
Edward Wm Stockman, had 2 wives. Toumairangi Te Kakati; 3 children; George(Hori), Hera (Sarah) and Emma. His second marriage was to Julia Gyde 1873. and 8 children. he died 1903.
Toumairangi father was Te Mahutu, d.1824 Pipiriki, mother was Te Waikaunarangi. d.1847.
From my understanding of Maori Land Court records, Te Paoro, is not related. He was the husband of a women named Kuao. She later became the wife of Rangi Mohutu, brother of Te Wai.
Hope this helps some of you. I am a direct descendant of Sarah Jane Marsh and Albert Wm Briscoe, thru their daughter Emily Eva.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2007 3:24 pm
saintys OWC
(@saintys-owc)

Hey
Information that I have gathered is as follows
Chief Paoro - Princess Te Waikaungarangi married Chief Te Mahuta - Princess Toumairaingi married Edward Stockman - Sarah (Hera) Stockman married Esau William Marsh who had 17 children, Sarah Jane Marsh 1866, Marion Emma Marsh 1867, Emma Marsh 1869, Samuel George Marsh 1870, Esau William Marsh 1871, Frances Marsh 1873, Edward Marsh 1874, Anna Maria Marsh 1876, Eva Marsh 1878, Jane Marsh 1879, Charles Marsh 1881, Emily Marsh 1884, John Marsh 1886, James Marsh 1888, Lavina Marsh 1891, George Marsh 1892, Kathleen Marsh 1893.

This is the only info I have on my whanau and am interested on any other information

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2007 9:13 pm
vel53 OWC
(@vel53-owc)

As I said earlier, Te Paoro, has nothing to do with our blood line,and Te Waikauangrangi, Rangi Mohutu, Wakaetu, are not his children
Te Wai died 1847 and is said to be buried up at the old Pa. Te Mahutu died Pipiriki 1824, of Ngati Rahiri,Te Atiawa,Toa, and his memorial/headstone, was carved from his Waka.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2007 11:51 pm
Nu OWC
(@nu-owc)

I thank all people who have replied and left me numbers and emails, I apologise that this has taken some time for me to reply but due circumstances I have had to take this search a bit more slowly. However I will be in touch with all if you are still willing to talk, and I am happy to share what information I have also on the Marsh/stockman Whakapapa. I am trying very hard to find out what I can from the information that has been given before asking more questions of you all. I can be contacted on (06) 3535199 should anyone like to talk to me directly also. (email r.n.lawton@xtra.co.nz) I thank you for sharing and hope to be in contact soon, so please don't be surprised to hear from me at a later date 🙂 Nicki Lawton (Nu)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 February, 2008 9:43 am
Dolly OWC
(@dolly-owc)

Ngati Rahiri now have their own offices - McLean Street, Waitara

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 11:53 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: