Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

STRONGMAN, Matilda  

RSS
jmbaker62@msn.com OWC
(@jmbaker62msn-com-owc)

Finding any of my Whanau who came from Matilda Strongman ( nee: Edmonds) as she was my Great,Great Grandmother . Her Son Robert Henry Strongman Snr. ( He was my Great Grandfather )

Posted : 08 June, 2005 12:36 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Kia ora Jmbaker

Wether this information will be of assistance or not, it may be a start to direct your search. I do not know if "strongman hails from this area but The surname Strongman has a long history in the Bay of Islands -

KeriKeri Inlet School lists 14 pupils with the surname Strongman on the schools first register in 1909 and the name continues on up to the the schools closure in the 1940's.

see the below site
http://pearlspad.net.nz/KERIKERI%20INLET%20SCHOOL.htm

Edmonds is another whanau that is huge and again I am unable to say where the whanau originated from, as there is also our Pakeha, and Rarotonga Edmonds Whanau.

Possibly, for members(non) to respond - if you are able to narrow this down to an area, other whanau names, siblings etc - hopefully a connection can be made for you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 June, 2005 11:15 pm
glstrongman OWC
(@glstrongman-owc)

kia ora my name is graham strongman my grandfather was WILLIAM HENRY STRONGMAN and fatheris TOM STRONGMAN from kerikeri inlet i now the strongmans in my era when i was staying down the inlet.This mite sound silly but was your grandmothers house just up the road from the old school if so i knew your grandmother very well she was a grand aunty to me aunty matilda spoke very quite and a beautiful lady to sit and listen to her korero uncle ashton was the other one use to live there with her that was in the 60s-70s.My grandmother was EVA STRONGMAN she only passed away in march of this year at 95yrs old the last of the old kuias from down the inlet i got heaps to tell you if you want to e.mail me any time anyway i better get oflooking forward to hear from you ka kite ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 July, 2005 10:08 pm
lionel OWC
(@lionel-owc)

kia Ora my name is Lionel Edmonds Matilda Strongman nee Edmonds is my Great great grang-father's sister in my family branch of the Edmonds family we have copies of the family tree book which in fact has all the information of Matilda's decendants...........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 August, 2005 4:01 pm
Ngahuia
(@ngahuia)

Kia Ora Lionel and Graham. I am a fourth generation descendant of Henry Edmonds. My Grandmother was Eliza Russell Edmonds who married Christopher Irving. I have many happy memories of holidays down the inlet with the Strongmans. I was brought up in Maungaturoto and I well remember Mother cooking for days to prepare for our trip in Dad's tin lizzie loaded to the max. We would drive to Russell or Kerikeri to meet George Strongman who would take us down to the old homestead by boat. We would pitch our very old and thin 10 x 10 tent right on the beach. I thought the old gardens and the fruit trees were heaven LOL. I still remember falling asleep under the table at Aunty Ellie's while the grownups would talk (by candle light) well into the night.

Currently I am trying to trace my Irving connections to Northland and am hoepful of getting up there before too long. Would love to me you.

Edited by - Vibrant on Sep 15 2005 10:21:20 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 September, 2005 10:02 am
kerbab OWC
(@kerbab-owc)

Hello to one and all. My grandfather was Percy Strongman and my mother went to school with a few of your family members - Rose and Tom Strongman. I would love to know more about the Strongmans so if anyone can shed some light I would love to hear from you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 September, 2005 6:12 pm
Melody Brown nee Salmond OWC
(@melody-brown-nee-salmond-owc)

[quote]
Finding any of my Whanau who came from Matilda Strongman ( nee: Edmonds) as she was my Great,Great Grandmother . Her Son Robert Henry Strongman Snr. ( He was my Great Grandfather )
/Hi Matilda Strongman was my Great, Great Grandmother also from her son Andrew Strongman and Ella Maria Edmonds, my grandmother was their third child Nelda Strongman who married Andrew Salmond my Father was their only Child Raymond Salmond I am his eldest child Melody Brown nee Salmond. I still remember holidaying down the Kerikeri Inlet at the Edmonds site at my fathers grandmothers place Ella Strongman. My dad lived with his grandmother during the war and attended Kerikeri Inlet school for that time.quote]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2005 10:02 am
lionel OWC
(@lionel-owc)

yes we are all whanau..........

our Edmonds ancestry we come from swanage DORSET ENGLAND we also have a coat of arms which we have a copy of and a photo of our castles in england and scotland

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 January, 2006 10:02 pm
Potaka OWC
(@potaka-owc)

Kiaora ko Potaka strongman ahau.Ko Te Ua (eva) Strongman nee toms no Matauri toku tupuna tupuna whaea, i marena atu a ia ki a William Strongman. Ko Tom Strongman toku tupuna matua.KO William strongman (2) toku papa.Ko Potaka strongman ahau. Ina he patai au e pa ana ki te taha strongman tuku karere mai tera pea ka taea e ahau, tetahi o aku whanaunga te awhina i a koe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 March, 2006 8:29 pm
makiff OWC
(@makiff-owc)

Hi all
My GGGG Granfather was John Samuels Edmonds (1799-1865) who came to Keri keri NZ in about 1833. I believe his Son Arthur (b 21/9/1825)had a daughter Matilda (b. abt 1851)who married a Davis Andrew Strongman in the Keri Keri Chapel, NZ in about June 1871. I wonder if we are all related? I have uploaded my database to http://wc.rootsweb.com & enter database makiff if you want to take a look. All info is from old family documents & the internet & I think the data is pretty accurate but am prepared to be wrong...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 May, 2006 4:55 pm
kerbab OWC
(@kerbab-owc)

Urgent please - Can anyone please tell me where Matilda Strongman (nee Edmonds) is buried. I have records showing Aroha Isld, Kerikeri and have just heard DOC is selling the land as no monies, all run out.
Thanks,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2006 5:03 pm
Share: