Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

SYLVA, Meri Ngaroto: MEHAKA Isaac: NUTANA, Priscilla  

RSS
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

In the 1880's these children were registered at Peria School when their mother Raiha died. Can you help us trace our great grandfather Isaac?? Where was his mother born? Where was Isaac born? Kia ora

Edited by - ngati_kuri@hotmail.com on Feb 14 2006 10:47:55 PM

Posted : 19 November, 2004 6:01 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ngati_kuri@hotmail.com

Is Raiha the mother of these children or another relation to any / all of them? Is so, could you explain to us the relationship as this may help people to help you

Good Luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 1:41 am
Eminent Member

Hello whanau yes Raiha Te Mahia or Ruiha or was it really Raiha Te Maihi as i have also seen it spelt?? was the mother to there three children Meri, Isaac (Mehaka) and Priscilla (Pirihira. The only one with concrete history is Meri who came to Auckland when she was 12 with An Anglican Minister after her mother died and remained in Auckland and married a Sydney Lewis. Isaac (Mehaka) went on to marry Hana Paneere from Te Hapua. He died in 1921 in Te Hapua. Priscilla married a William Sheriff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 9:05 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano,

Is Hiriwa the surname for Mehaka, ? I ask because in the book Familes of Te Hapua, number 88 says: (shortened version)

Family of Paneere Natana
Hana (f) wife of Mehaka Hiriwa

Also, just wondering if your post [url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=226&FORUM_ID=3&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Te+Mahia+%2D+Raiha&Forum_Title=Tracing+Tupuna+%28Ancestors%29"]here[/url] about Raiha is the same Raiha that you mention here?

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Dec 18 2004 5:56:58 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 1:22 pm
Eminent Member

Yes this is the same family. Raiha is Mehaka's mother. We want to know where she is buried and where she was born. Her brother is buried at Takapaukura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2006 11:15 pm
Eminent Member

Kia ora thank you for your korero.... sorry I missed this messagem first time I've seen it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2006 11:17 pm
Eminent Member

Thanks for your message Waimirirangi. Are you Mary's daughter? If so Kia ora. Which elders, Which wanagas? Your advice is noted and appreciated. Did you see the post re: Aunt Mona passing away in Germany on Jan 06 2006

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 February, 2006 10:42 am
Eminent Member

Which elders, which wanangas, which family Waimirirangi?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2006 9:53 pm
Eminent Member

If you mean at Mangere, the last meeting my mother and I went to there, had been moved forward a week and we were not informed...
That was in 2004.
Nobody has informed my mother of any meeting since.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2006 9:55 pm
Eminent Member

Kia ora te whanau I am sending an email to you as our messages are more personal than general post... and you can also email: rozita_leoni@hotmail.com

Where does my mother get involved? I am not sure why you say good for a change?? Can you keep my mother informed as she does not have anyone calling her with the information? This is her number and address since 1998 and the same details on the whanau register we signed in Mar 04. My mother's no is: 09 846 0245. Her address is Mrs M E Leoni 169 Carrington Rd Mt Albert AUCKLAND. Of course you realise my Mum is alone since Terry died in 2003 & her health is not the best since her breast cancer.

Sorry the news of my leaving didn't filter down through one of the family. If I was still in Auckland FOR SURE I would've visited you and your Mum. Remember I texted you from the Nth Cape but my phone with NZ numbers is still in NZ.

My number here is 61 2 9314 1040 or +61 416 141 040.

And when I am back I will pop in okay?

Edited by - ngati_kuri@hotmail.com on Feb 14 2006 10:42:52 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2006 4:43 am
Eminent Member

Remember Waimirirangi with knowledge comes responsibility...

When you speak the words should not be born out of bitterness and covetness.

If one is innocent before God one can stand proud and accept discipline is given with loving kindness.

Please step back from your words for a moment and ask why you speak as one scorned but you have never stood before my mother or myself and spoken what is truly in your heart...?

Where is the origin of so much distress? My mother has much respect on her home marae. Mana can never be stolen it can only be given and received in love.

Look to the Pohutakawa and its twisted branches. Some say the trunk is even ugly... Yet its flowers are immortalised in our ancient stories and how beautiful in the eyes of the creator.

What a wicked wicked web we weave when we first deceive.

I ask you to courtesly show respect for my mother of 75 years and of myself at 50 years...

The truth will set you free.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2006 9:02 pm
Eminent Member

I will be home in a few days we will speak then Waimirirangi Tauariki eldest daughter of Mary Tauariki who is eldest daughter of Raymond (Labour) and Elizabeth Tauariki nee Sylva, who is fourth born of Joseph & Martha Sylva nee Henare. As a human you have a right to speak your piece, you can also bow your head in reverence to one who is higher than all creation in heaven and on earth and to those that are older than you. I have kept a record of all that you have said in these public posts and i welcome the opportunity to meet you face to face dear second cousin of mine. Greetings to you and your beautiful family.

Edited by - ngati_kuri@hotmail.com on Feb 15 2006 09:24:28 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 9:23 am
Eminent Member

God needs no man to use him for an excuse.

Your conflicting statements are raising serious concerns.

What says you about respecting your Tauariki surname? Yes the surname is known in many places... I note you have not taken the name of the father of your children.

I am glad I met you previously in harmonious times when you wanted your family photos in Nana Mona's album.

You constantly say ....never meant to hurt or insult...

Maybe you should take note from your mother and your Aunt Pare as i have always found them to be polite, kind and rangamarie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 5:10 pm
zohra OWC
(@zohra-owc)

Kia Ora,

My name is Zohra and I am a descendent of Isaac and Hana Panere Sylva, they are my great great grandparents. My great grandmother was Lucy Tania Sylva (Isaac and Hana's daughter) who married Bill Rawhiti and had 4 children.
Mariam Rawhiti, Sissy Rawhiti, Willy Rawhiti and Lucy Rawhiti. She then went on the marry Jim Barnes in the 1970's.
My nana is Lucy Rawhiti who married Wi Katipa and had two children Kiri Katipa (died 1979) and Tania Hannah Katipa who is my mother.

I hope this information helps. I have never been to my marae (which I believe is Te Hapua) and would love connect with Sylva and Panere Descendents.

What I would also like to know is-
1. Who was Isaac's father?
I think is was Joeseph Sylva.
We have photos of Joeseph and Isaac.
2.Who were the parents of Rahia Te Mahia?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 February, 2007 5:46 pm
Eminent Member

1. Isaac's father was Joseph Elfon Sylva. It is a shame we have yet to see any photos of Hana Paneere and Raiha Te Mahia.
2. Raiha's parents are Te Mahia & Mata.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2007 12:25 am
Share: