Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TAMATEKAPUA  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Kia Ora whanau, Can anyone please help me with any korero on Te Arawa waka, and my tupuna TAMATEKAPUA.

Posted : 27 July, 2005 12:37 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Lisa

Tama te kapua was the captain of the Te Arawa waka which landed at Whangaparaoa near the east cape before coming to Maketu where it remained. Tamatekapua had two sons, Tuhoromatakaka who was the elder and Kahumamtamomoe.

Tuhoromatakaka had Ihenga who was famous for going from Maketu to up north and everywhere. Ihenga had Tuariki who lived at the mouth of the Motu river. He had Tuwahiawa who had Turirirangi who married Rongomaihuatahi and they begat Apanui runga mutu from whom Te Whanau a Apanui claim descent.

Kahumatamomoe had Tawakemoetahanga who had Uenukumairarotonga who had Rangitihi upokowhakhirahira who had Tuhourangi from whom most Te Arawa trace their descent.

Please tell me what hapu or iwi of Te Arawa you belong to so that I can help you further.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2005 10:12 pm
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Tena koe Hearty Nati,
I just got your email while I'm at mahi, My hapu is Waitaha-a-hei, My dad is from Te Puke, our marae is Te Hei and Haraki. I actually thought I had most of the korero on Tamatekapua, but obviously I'm not researching enough. I've just started to look into my whakapapa, and am finding it overwhelming as well as fulfilling, so any info you could share would be very much appreciated. By the way I've just read your profile which states that you're down in Wells, have you a whanau connection with my tupuna?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2005 11:23 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Lisa

I advise the book 'Te Arawa' which you can get from most libraries, or 'Tuwharetoa' or 'Nga Waka o Nehera' because they are excellent for whakapapa and korero about those tipuna.

Tena koe

Edited by - hearty nati on Mar 31 2008 10:56:58 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 September, 2005 12:37 pm
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

Kia ora Lisa,
If you are speaking of Hei the ancestor, you are speaking of the Tapuika tribal boundry of Te Arawa. The marae in Manoeka - Te Puke in the Bay of Plenty bears the name Hei whi had a twin brother called Tia which is the metting house out at Te Paamu which is the ancestor I descend from. Thier father was Atua-Matua

Naku nei na:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2005 12:17 am
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Kia ora Lisa
Tamatekapua is buried on the side of Te Moengahau o te Tamatekapua. I have been told that the reason he is buried there is that he liked the place. We call the maunga Moehau for short which is situated past the Coromandel Township towards the tip of the peninsula. It can be seen on a fine day from Manaia which is 20kms before Coromandel. Moehau is also the sacred maunga of some of the Hauraki people.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2005 11:18 pm
frank OWC
(@frank-owc)

Kiaora Lisa i was bought up (partly) at Manoeka and i know the clarke whanau well My grandmothers second husband was Marshell Clarke I am originally from Marukukere (Te paamu)Im a Hohaia but was whangaied out. Good luck on your research.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2006 5:15 am
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

Hey Kia ora Frank, I know you were brought up in Manoeka and I know who you are...lol
Coze, your kuia was my aunty...lol
Hows da whanau?

Check: the site under: Tupuna ancestors and look up Terenga Tuna concerning Hera, theres korero there from Matauri Nga Puhi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2006 6:36 am
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

anei ano Emi dis be your Cuz, Paano**

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 8:13 pm
Tamahura
(@tamahura)

Pena ano ki tenei na, kei mate ano ahau i te hauhake ake ano mai i raaaaaaaaaaaro rawa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 July, 2006 4:27 pm
boat OWC
(@boat-owc)

Dear Lisa, Tena koe ,
The traditional arrival date of Arawa Canoe at Maketu is 1340 in the year.1340-50 brought exploration of the district Rotorua. and first settlements. 1823 Was the first marriage in New Zealand Yes a wedding.1838 in May Was the first white child born in Rotorua. and 1864 in March the East coast tribes and Te Arawa battled at Lake Rotoiti. and in April the battle of Kereopa at Matata the British troops wiped out the East coast tribes. Pai Kare! 1867 in March Waikato tribes Attacked TeArawa and Te Arawa also defeated Goverment troops and in second battle Te Hauhau. Kia-ora Koe. 1870 the telephone line opened between Napier and Rotorua, and in december the Duke of Edinbourough visited Rotorua. Some things about Tametekapua you mite find he was alive during this time and his place to forsee the battles even on land. It was Hine moa and Tutanekai life that wouldve been the about the last things that cheif saw. Just see if I can find out. no but on the Meeting house at Ohinemutu are the dates the Marae was opened and that should be the dates with that of the cheif Tametekapu, Ae. Good luck with your speech hope this was helpfull to you.
Ka-kite ano. Boat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 September, 2006 1:28 pm
frank OWC
(@frank-owc)

quote:

Hey Kia ora Frank, I know you were brought up in Manoeka and I know who you are...lol
Coze, your kuia was my aunty...lol
Hows da whanau?

Check: the site under: Tupuna ancestors and look up Terenga Tuna concerning Hera, theres korero there from Matauri Nga Puhi.

Kia ora sorry about the late reply still hope you found what your looking for as for the whanau there all good I hope all is well on your side.................matewa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2007 4:18 am
Pondi OWC
(@pondi-owc)

Tena koe Lisa, I am from Hei and Haraki marae our whanau name is Karaka also known as Clarke...
Kia Ora to Frank and Tamahura, my mother is also from Te Paamu linking to the Pene whanau.
Dear Lisa, if you haven't already been informed our koroua Thomas McLausland who lives in Te Puke will be able to help you in all areas of our whakapapa back to TAMATEKAPUA... , he can be contacted at the Waitaha Hau Ora clinic in Te Puke... believe me you will not be disappointed, best wishes.

Naku noa na
Pondi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2007 9:16 am
Rutu OWC
(@rutu-owc)

Kia Ora Lisa, Ko Rutu toku ingoa, no Waitaha, Tapuika. Firstly, Tama was a first cousin to Waitaha and Tapuika, his father Houmaitawhiti was a brother to Hei and Tia.

Suggest that you do your research at home. Who better to advise you correctly apart from nga kaakaa tarahae i te kainga. Noreira, kia pai ou rauemi, mo tou huarahi.

Na Rutu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 January, 2008 8:55 pm
Tauira01 OWC
(@tauira01-owc)

"eke eke, eke panuku"
"hui e, taiki e"

Kia ora Lisa

I agree with the previous reply, regarding the research of your whakapapa. You should firstly absorb information from your own whanau/whanaunga and hapu before researching Te Arawa iwi which essentially was made up of the members aboard 'Te Waka Arawa' ie Tamatekapua, Hei, Waitaha, Tapuika, Tia, Ngatoroirangi just to name a few. You may discover conflicting stories regarding the 'who's who and their rank, within the branches of this great whakapapa. You will also discover that some of the marae in Rotorua carry the names of these beloved tupuna. ie Houmaitawhiti (Otaramarae), Tamatekapua (Ohinemutu), Kahumatamomoe (Parua) Uenukumairarotonga (Punawhakareia), Rangitihi (Taheke) etc, etc.

Good luck with your journey of discovery.

Ko Werahiko Waiti i toku ingoa, no Rotorua ahau
Ngati Pikiao te hapu, Te Takinga te marae me te rangatira hoki
Arawa te waka, Ohomairangi ko te matua tupuna

Ko Te Arawa e waru pumanawa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2008 5:13 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: