Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TARAWA (HEKE, CURTIS), Irihapeti (Betty, Elizabeth) Hone: Probably born in Otaua, Far North.  

RSS
te phantom
(@te-phantom)

Kia ora koutou

Irihapeti (Betty, Elizabeth) Hone TARAWA (HEKE, CURTIS).

She is my Nanny. Unsure about her birthdate, probably around early 1900s. Died 13 January 1972, buried Kaponga, Taranaki.

Her parents:
(m) Hoone TARAWA and
(f) Moewaka MITAI (or RAPANA).

Her siblings:
(m) Te Kooti TARAWA
(f) (Kate) Keti TARAWA

I obtained a pepeha written by her first cousin, Herewini TE WHATANUI. Unsure if he is still alive. On it he states:

Tribe is Nga Puhi
Puhanga-Tohora is the big Mountain Tapu
The (Kainga home) Base is Otaua
Ko Pukerata te marae
Ko Maungatawa te awa
Lower river is Punakitere
Ko Tarawa - Piu pui te urupa
Ko Ngai - Tu Te Auru te Hapu
- Te Ra
- Waihengehenge
Punakitere lower sub tribe
- Kaihoro
- moe
- ue

According to one of my uncles, she was brought up in Kaikohe, Ohaewai, Mangakahia, Motatau, Mataraua areas. These areas are in the Far North.

However, she married my koro, Wharepouri (Whare) Waikeri HEKE and settled in Waipawa, Central Hawkes Bay.

Remarried Jack CURTIS and ended up in Taranaki.

Ideally, I would like to learn more of my Nanny Mum and her TARAWA whanau. However, if you can help me with any of the surnames stated above (TARAWA, HEKE, CURTIS, MITAI, RAPANA, TE WHANANUI), that would be great.

I have found the location of Pukerata Marae, so if there's someone out there who can give me a contact name to see if they're acquainted with the TARAWA surname. Or maybe, give me some info (and perhaps photos), about the Marae, etc.

Cheers

The Phantom Maori

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 11:46:49 PM

Posted : 02 December, 2004 12:41 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Phantom Maori,

If you go to the Marae Directory here and choose the Tai Tokerau listings there is the Pukerata Marae listed with contact details.

Good Luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 12:41 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano

I have been looking around for info to help others and have found

Irihapeti Hone Tarawa
Birth: 16 DEC 1909
Death: 12 JUL 1972
Spouse: Te Wharepouri Waikeri Heke

at the http://www.familysearch.org/ website. Go there and do a serach for Tarawa and a few more will display, which may help you to put the family forest together! You can also search for the other surnames too.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 12:58 pm
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Tena Koe phantom maori, The Tarawa whanau are quite a large whanau, in Otaua the urupa there is called Tarawa Piu Piu. I have a whanau whose partner is a son of Peter Tarawa,Peter is deceased but still has whanau living. I will ask for contact numbers for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2005 7:45 am
te phantom
(@te-phantom)

Tena koe Y2ranga

Thanks very much for the offer.

I was talking to a Heke aunt last weekend and she is trying to rally the whanau into taking my desceased Nanny Mum's (Irihapeti TARAWA) kawemate (spelling?) back to Otaua. Along with those of uncle(s) and aunts who have also passed away.

Aunt is hoping to do it this year.

I am hoping that this will be done, but some of the other whanau aren't particularly keen to do this.

We have lived away from the Far North for a couple of generations or so, mainly in the Hawkes Bay. Also, none of us have the Reo, so talking on a Marae in Maori is foreign to most of us. We have affiliated our whanau with a Marae in Central Hawkes Bay, but generally we have never needed to talk on the paepae. We are also quite a shy whanau.

I think that these may be some reasons why my whanau are reluctant to take the kawemate to their home.

So, what am I saying?

I would love to see where my TARAWA whanau is from, but I don't want to do it in such a way that it is 'unacceptable'.

So, first .... I'll do a little homework and make some contacts...

Once again, thanks for everyone's help so far.

The Phantom Maori

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2005 9:36 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano Phantom Maori,

If you make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club then click on Full Search and then serach for Heke you will find quite a few results, likewise you can also try Tarawa.

Good luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 April, 2005 1:10 am
platinummaori OWC
(@platinummaori-owc)

Kia ora Phantom Maori
My grandfather is Te kooti Tarawa
And like your nana his kawemate has not being take in back to Otaua, as well his son and two daughters I have being up to Otaua to met some of the whanau. But I have on fone numbers for you,
but the next best thing a name Steven Tarawa-Te whata.

The whanau is Tarawa-Tewhata and Steven will be able to help you as I didnt have time to hang around.

I hope this will help.
ma te wa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2005 6:24 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

This is an old posting, but this info may serve a purpose for future reference and other researchers.
Hone Tarawa is a grandson of Kahuwhero Te Whiu.
Hone's mother was a daughter of Kahuwhero Te Whiu, and the sister of Hori Whiu, Piri Whiu, and others.
Hone's siblings were:
Wiki Tarara [f]
Oti Tarawa [m]

Kahuwhero Te Whiu is a great grandson of Matahaia, and there is at least 6 generations from Rangiheketini down to Matahaia. Rangiheketini being the eponymous tupuna / ancestor of Ngati Rangi.
Hope this helps!

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2005 1:58 pm
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora and Arohanui to all of our whanau who are prepared to awhi, anyone who wants awhi. I have passed this correspondence onto ''PHANTOM MAORI'' who is my cousin through our Ngati Kahungunu /Ruapani links.
Arohanui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2005 6:41 pm
Share: