Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Taunoa Wanoa  

RSS
horigee OWC
(@horigee-owc)

Kia ora koutou

I am trying to find a connection to Te Araroa. It has been said by whanau that the name Taunoa was originally Taunoa Wanoa from Te Araroa.
I would like any info to confirm this especially from people of Te Araroa as my Grandfather always mentioned the names together and that at some time past they were split thus the whanau Taunoa and the whanau Wanoa.

Kia ora

Posted : 30 January, 2007 7:44 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia ora koutou

I am trying to find a connection to Te Araroa. It has been said by whanau that the name Taunoa was originally Taunoa Wanoa from Te Araroa.
I would like any info to confirm this especially from people of Te Araroa as my Grandfather always mentioned the names together and that at some time past they were split thus the whanau Taunoa and the whanau Wanoa.

Kia ora

Rev Tunoa Wanoa was an Anglican minister on the Coast during the 50's and 60's. He married Ka Grace and I can recall Mary and Sarge being their kids. At one time he was based in Te Kaha but returned to Ruatoria. Perhaps some of the Punehu issues of George Taylor can help further. Try to contact Jackie Wanoa through Radio Ngati Porou.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2007 7:59 pm
Nature OWC
(@nature-owc)

Kia Ora,
i am not a Taunoa nor a Wanoa but i do know them. i remember when the late Stone Wanoa was alive, my mum introduce my aunty(my mums brothers ex wife) who is a Taunoa to Stone, and can recall him saying to her that Taunoa was Wanoa or was it the other way round. i can bearly remember but there is Papa Rawiri Wanoa who is one of the local pakeke of Te Araroa who maybe able to help you or there are many other Wanoa's who may help you and they well some reside in Te Araroa today. Big whanau ill tell ya so im sure you will find what you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 March, 2007 4:35 pm
Share: