Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE AWA Tame Matawahine  

RSS
Matangirau OWC
(@matangirau-owc)

Tena koutou,katoa,
I am Bill Te Awa originally of Matangirau,Kaeo and am wanting any awhi in regards to my whakapapa of which my knowledge of is very limited.My grand-dad named above married Hinerakei Keita Tupe also of Matangirau,and his father was Tame Te Awa I think? Not to sure who he married though I do believe we also had a tupuna by the name of Horo Te Awa of whom I think was great great grand father.Any help with my search for my tupuna would be humbily and greatly appreciated.Kind Regards Bill (William) Te Awa.

Posted : 15 June, 2006 11:09 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Kanui nga mihi aroha kia koe e whanaunga,

Taku pepeha me koe hoki:

Ko MATAATUA me MAMARI O Nga Waka
Ko PUHI Te Tangata
Ko OHAUTIEKE-O-TE-RA Te Maunga
Ko WHANGAROA Te Moana
Ko TE TOUWAI Te Awa
Ko NGAPUHI me NGATI KAHU KI WHANGAROA Te Iwi
Ko TE WHANAU PANI; NGATI KAWAU; KAITANGATA; NGATI KAHUITI; NGATI HAITI; me NGATI MOKOKOHI o nga hapu
Ko KARANGAHAPE Te Marae
Ko TUPE Te Tupuna [nephew of HONGI HIKA]
Ko MATAWAHINE TAME TE AWA toku karani papa
Ko HINERAKEI TUPE toku karani mama
Ko ARIANA [ALICE] TE AWA toku mama
Ko ahau a HOHAIA!

Email me for the whakapapa cuzz.

Ko Tame Te Awa [Tame Horo] ka moe ia a Tauke Tupe
Ka puta mai a Matawahine Tame Te Awa
Ko Matawahine ka moe ia a Hinerakei Tupe
Ka puta mai a Ariana Te Awa me etahi atu.

Na Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2006 3:58 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

... btw: this is your cousin Joey Hakaraia [a.k.a. Hohaia].
Where you been hiding cuzz?
I'll give you a ring if you email me cuzz.

na Hohaia [Joey].

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2006 4:11 pm
Matangirau OWC
(@matangirau-owc)

Kia ora whanaunga,
Thank you for your awhi which is humbily and greatfully received. Hohaia I've tried twice to email you from this sight and both times it has failed for some unknown reason. So I therefore propose that one can contact me through these addy's which are as follows.Bpmustang@hotmail.com or alternatively Ngatikaawau@yahoo.com. Look forward to hearing from you for a catch up before I go back out to sea,and to korero whakapapa,once again Hohaia I thank you greatly and hope to hear from you soon.Kind Regards,Bill (Willie).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 June, 2006 1:56 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

... sent u email cuzz!

Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2006 12:31 am
newmtd
(@newmtd)

Kia ora whanaunga,
I realise this is a couple of years after the fact, however, I must introduce myself in the hope that one of you might read my korero.

My mum's name is Hineira (Ada) Dunn, passed away 11 years ago. Her mother was Tuhikura Te Awa, I understand, sister to Matawahine Tame Te Awa. My mum was raised by Matiu (Jumbo) Dunn and his 2nd wife, Heeni Whe Te Awa, sister again to Tuhikura and Tame. My mum was told that her father was Kingi Taniwha from Matangirau.

My dad's name is Wiremu Dunn, son of Eruera Dunn (aka Tana, aka Haretana)from Waiwhatawhata, Hokianga, and Eruera's wife was Te Wai Hapainga Tipene from Whangape. My granddad, Eruera, is the only son of Hiki Hohua Dunn/Tana/Haretana raua ko Hiria Ngapire Taimona (Diamond). Hiki is a younger brother to Matiu Jumbo Dunn.

My mum had several brothers to Tuhikura and I recall the names Hori, Paraire and Tame as 3 of them, all were raised by their uncle Tame (according to my mum) and took the name Te Awa. Of those 3, Tame is the only one still living, in Ohura last time I checked. Tuhikura had at least one other son who passed away a couple years ago. We knew his name as Bill Lesley - mum called him Wehi. I'm uncertain as to the identity of any other of mum's brothers, and as far as I'm aware, she was Tuhikura's only daughter.

I know of 2 other of Tuhikura's siblings. One I understand is known as Hauraki. A daughter of Hauraki is named Lucy - she married Charlie Dargaville. While Charlie passed on years ago, Aunty Lucy is still living, at Ngawha.

One other sibling, whom I read about on this website, is Iritana. Apart from her, I know of no other siblings.

I hope one day that we will all be able to meet. In the meantime, if anyone can assist with identifying more of my whanau, including the Dunn and Tipene side, I'd love to hear from you.

Heoi ano, nga mihi ki a koutou e te whanau.
Margaret Hauraki (nee Dunn)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 1:44 pm
Thomas
(@thomas)

Tena koe
Contact me, I can help you with the information you require.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 3:45 pm
newmtd
(@newmtd)

quote:

Tena koe
Contact me, I can help you with the information you require.

Kia ora

Whoa !! That was quick, kia ora.
I will email you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 4:27 pm
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Kia Ora Margeret
This fulla Thomas- seems to know everyone's Whakapapa, be careful
Na Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 5:47 pm
newmtd
(@newmtd)

Kia ora mo tena Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2008 6:16 pm
Ngati Tu OWC
(@ngati-tu-owc)

Tena koutou te whanau Te Awa, I had the great pleasure of playing rugby League for the whanau Te Awa Cougars in Tamaki Makaurau Kelston quite a few years back. There tupuna was a Kiritipa....Te Awa Cougars was a force to reckon with in Tamaki in those days.....Saw posting Te Awa so had to add....I also hail from Matangirau through my grandmother Te Kohuroa Pomana...and had a aunt Tilly and unc Leo who sadly have passed on. Heio ano he mihi rangatira ki te whanau nei na...Te Awa.........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 March, 2008 3:48 am
Matang OWC
(@matang-owc)

Kia ora whanaunga,

Ka nui nga mihi kia koutou!

Ko wai au?

Ko Mamari me Mataatua o nga waka,
Ko Whangaroa te moana,
Ko Ohautieke o te ra te maunga,
Ko Te Touwai te awa,
Ko Te Whanau pani,Kaitangata,Ngati Kawau o nga hapu,
Ko Karangahape te marae,
Ko Ngapuhi te iwi

Ko William Ramsey Leslie taku papa,
Ko Tuhikura Leslie nee Tupe taku kuia,
Ko Hukatai(Wehi) nee Bill Leslie taku matua

Ko Wiremu Paraire Leslie taku ingoa,
Tihei mauri ora!

A big "Tumeke" to all my whanau out there, and to you Margaret.

My father was a brother to your mum, my aunty Hineira (I never met her however my older sisters knew of her).
My Dad passed way in 2002 and we took him back to Matangirau, cousin Janice was there along with uncle John Dunn and everyone else.
I have a picture of our grandmother (Tuhikura), that was given to me by Uncle Tame (yeah your right still alive down in Ohura, and is the last of the brothers), it is our intent to take her haremate back to Matang sometime this year, probably labour weekend!

I'm not sure where in the line Aunty Ada came into it however of her brothers there was Timi(Jim the oldest), Paraire (Jumbo), Wehi(my dad), then I think auntie Ada, Hori(George), then Tame (Tom, the youngest).

Aunty Lucy (Koko or Coxy), as she is affectionately known to us I have not seen since Dads tangi, but understand she is still going strong back in Ngawha.

I go back to Matang a fair bit cuzzies, so one day will hook up. Although I work and have worked offshore for many yrs am about to head home to live in Whangarei after 20 odd yrs away, and look forward to catching up for the long korero (My wife and kids now live there after we moved back from Nth America in May of last yr), I am about to finish my last stint in Oz, and take up a new job back home (Puketona quarry in Kerikeri).

Let me know if you all want my address and number and will pass it on before leaving here on the 17th of April to head home.

Take care cuzzies, and see you all back home,

Willie Leslie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2008 6:47 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Willie,

So good to see your posting cuzz! For awhile there I had thought you'd fallen off the planet cuzz lol... anyway drop us an email at: kaingahoamarae@windowslive.com for a catch-up cuzz. Would be geat to hear from you.
Arohanui taku ngakau ki a koe me to whanau hoki e whanaunga,

Na Hohaia [Joey] Hakaraia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 April, 2008 11:18 am
Share: