Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE KANAWA (Waikato, Ngati Mahuta, Ngati Naho)  

RSS
jwilliams OWC
(@jwilliams-owc)

Kia Ora

I am looking for information on the ancestors, siblings and descendants of Te Kanawa, who was one of the eight paramount chiefs of the Waikato, and a close confederate of Potatau Te Wherowhero.

Note that this is not the Te Kanawa of Ngati Te Kanawa, nor is he Te Kanawa of Ngati Maniapoto. He is often mentioned at taking part in battles with Te Wherowhero and Kiwi, especially when they were in Kawhia. He is also (almost certainly) the Te Kanawa who signed the Treaty at Kawhia.

I have read Landmarks of the Tainui, Tainiu (by Kelly) and Nga Iwi O Tainui (and also Taua, by Angela Ballara), however all I can find is that his sister was Parekohu and his mother was Te Rahuruake (p. 120 of "King Potatau" by Pei Te Huruniu). He also had a niece or daughter Te Rangiata, who is probably my six-times-great grandmother.

It is the "probably" here that I am trying to resolve.

I have started several Wikipedia pages about all this. Feel free to edit them, especially if you find any mistakes!

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Kanawa

and the links therein.

Thanks,

John

Posted : 14 August, 2006 11:23 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora John

If your hapu's are correct, then the Te Kanawa you speak of in indeed Potatau Te Wherowhero's close friend. There is a very intersting story that Potatau relates in a book I read recently but cannot remember the name.

I remember the story because the incident happened basically on my back door step.

Te Kanawa told Potatau that he and some of his hunting companions were on a hunting expidition on the highest point of the ranges visible to the left when entering Huntly from the north.

While sleeping in the early hours he heard singing, voices talking, men women and children. He thought that cannot be a war party as they have woman and children with them. They cannot be travellers because they would not dare travel that route by night.

His questions were answered when light from the campfire suddenly illuminated the bush in front of their sleeping party and a group of patupaiarehe appeared. His entire group lay there in terror unable to move. Te Kanawa being chief realised that he must do something so he removed his jewellery, necklaces, ear-rings etc and tied them to a stick then passing them to the visitors.

The visitors took the taonga and using some unknow method made castings of the taonga and returned them to the chief. The term used by one story teller is that the "shadows were taken". others state that castings were made from clay or compacted dirt. After this they left peacefully singing and talking as they had before they arrived.

A fascinating story to be sure as neither men were known for telling tall stories and because I know where this place actually is. No Patupaiarehe there now because all the bush is gone however, very interesting all the same.

Paimarire

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2006 12:44 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Ko Pare-ngaa-ope(f) # = Ko Te Aho-o-te rangi(m) also spelt
Te Whatu-o-te-rangi
A raua tamariki
Ko Te Whakapakinga
Ko RANGIMAHORA#
Ko Ranga Whenua
Ko Waitarere

Bro you got to look a little bit harder, an old maori saying bro is this
“ a slave dose the working and the Master dose the thinking”

and this is the moral of the story

If the bees work hard, ohhhhh how sweet is the HONEEEEEY

This is not what your looking for but another link in the chain

Wiremu Te Morehu Maipapa Te Wheoro. Who was known also as William Morris or Wiliam Rehu.

His Mother was Ngapawa and his father was Te Kanawa

Ngapawa was a direct descent from Te Whatu o te rangi or

Te Aho o te rangi and Parengaope. Te Wheoro was a chief of Ngati Naho another chief was Haripapa Te Po

Got got some more if your interested

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2006 12:22 pm
Dayvee OWC
(@dayvee-owc)

Tena koe Hotutaua,Do you have the line for Ngapawa from Parengaope and if so could you let me have it please,nga mihi nui ki a koe kei mua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2007 9:13 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

tena koe hotutaua
ae do you have the line te wharerangi and mataahu or mataahua?
I am searching for great-grandma tamera edwards or te huia, she was buried at waipapa marae kawhia. I'm looking for her side. Last I saw nana tamera at aotea homestead, kawhia.
I think she has closed links to
te aho o te rangi = parengaope

Edited by - pono on Jan 17 2007 07:55:57 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 January, 2007 7:54 am
Share: