Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE KOOTI  

RSS
Shirley_1 OWC
(@shirley_1-owc)

Hi new to this site looking for family and geneology about Te Kooti my family papers back date to Rotorua 1891 I am the great great grand daughter and on my mothers side I am the grand daughter of Te Ariki Hita Tua.

Looking for a uswer friendly site and to meet real and imformative people.

Posted : 07 November, 2004 9:31 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Shirley_1,

Welcome!

I am sure you will find this a very supportive site as everyone tries to help and encourage people who are looking for their whanau and information on their whanau.

Just wondering if you could clarify for us if you are talking about Te Kooti Arikirangi Te Turuki the founder of the Ringatu Chruch?

Good Luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2004 11:34 am
Shirley_1 OWC
(@shirley_1-owc)

Yes that one but more related to the Te Turuki side my great grand mother is Tai Ihakara she married Henare Te Kooti he had Puhara Nepia Te Kooti and HeneKumekumeroa my fathers only aunty she was adopted I think.
Ihakara and Mahora are my great grand parents and Puhara Te Kooti is my grandfather.
Te Ariki Hita Tua is my mothers father my grand father and my mothers name is HURUNGA TIRITI WAITANGI HITA. Erena Cassidy is my beloved grandmother.yip Nga Puhi and the rest!Tuhoe Ngati Maru, Ngaati Kahuhungunu,ki Wairoa ki Poneke.
My family lived in Porirua for over 27 years I think. long story.
I write Plays got carried away recently but am writer by nature.Artist by trade public speaker when called apon. working to self educate and interested in things pertaining aroud Kaupapa Maori key words in life for me are Tuamnako and Manakitanga. Te Aroha is our waiata at the moment. Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2004 1:21 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano Shirley_1

I have had a look at http://www.familysearch.org and there are quite a few Turuki, Kooti and Ihakara whanau, so if you pop over there you would probably relate to the names better than I! When you search for a name there, don't put in the Te as you will then get a huge result with all names starting with Te. Also, be aware that not all the information in there is accurate, my father and his siblings are listed there twice - one lot of records have them being born in 1900's and one lot of records have them being born in the 1800's - same day and month just different centuries. But it is a good place to start and worth the visit as there can be some pounamu found in there.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 4:42 am
Shirley_1 OWC
(@shirley_1-owc)

Kia e hoa

Thank you was a 6 year study on my own with my researching skills made new friends and all.
Appreciate being reunited with lost whanau lots of us out here now I can connect again.
Thank you kind people thnk you so much Shirley.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 10:35 am
phiona OWC
(@phiona-owc)

Hi Shirley,
I have Puhara Whakapapa if you ever want to link into those lines.It goes beyond Kahungunu. Also have heaps of other family info if you want to share. Also Some Whakapapa for Te Heu Heu which you may find also are your ancestors. Feel free to contact us.
Regards
P. Puhara

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2004 7:29 am
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

HI
The book HOROUTA has heaps of Whakapapa in it ..including Te Kooti's. My Gt Gt grandfather was his half brother. Also another good one is "The Upraised Hand"(I think that is the name...maybe Upraised Palm)...It is about Te Kooti.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2006 9:43 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia Ora Shirley
please say hi to your mum.
thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2006 10:17 pm
Share: