Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE NAIHI maata (Te Wai)  

RSS
daddysgirl OWC
(@daddysgirl-owc)

Kia Ora,Im hoping someone can help me by knowing the name Maata Te Naihi E Wai Married name Hepiri.Te Wai was born in Tory Channel in 1815. She married James Hebberley(Heperi)(Jack Worser)who was the first harbour pilot for Port Nicholson and a whaler. Te Wai met her husband in 1830 and they lived in the Marlborough Sounds and Queen Charlotte Sounds. Te Wai died in 1877. They were together for almost 50 years. Her grandaughter Mihi Korama Woodgate married Wiremu Hapi Puketapu and there son was Ihaia Porutu Puketapu. Te Wai was of the Puketapu people of Te Ati Awa. She had whanau in Pipitea (wellington)Waikanae and the sounds. They were married at Cloudy Bay in Dec 1841. They had their first 3 children baptised on the same day. Their son was Hakopa Heperi who was a Ati Awa carver.Te Wai's daughter Maryanne married two brothers. First was Robert Woodgate then William, who was hung in Picton in 1877.
Robert and Maryanne are my Granfathers grandparents. Thankyou for reading this. I would be so greatful and proud to know who Te Wai's Matua were. Lynette(Shilo)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2005 4:53 am Tahuaroa liked
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe daddysgirl,

Try going to www.familysearch.org and putting Naihi in the last name (without the Te) and set the country to New Zealand. You will find a few results and maybe by going through these you will be able to glean a bit more information

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 September, 2005 3:19 am
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora

Your Te Naihi family are originally from Otaki. I relate to you through Te Owai Te Naihi who md and settled in the Hawkes Bay. Heberley's are well known and Heather Heberley has written books about the family

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 October, 2005 9:13 am
Tahuaroa
(@tahuaroa)

I found this which might be of interest to you. http://www.wcl.govt.nz/maori/wellington/bio-heberleys.html

I was also told that Te Wai was of Puketapu hapu, Taranaki descent and related to Rihari Tahuaroa, High Chief of Patea and son of Rangi TuWatawata. Rihari is listed in the Mitchell's book of Chiefly Lines of Te Tau Ihu. She was married to James Heberley as she was of lines back to Paramount Chief in Taranaki.

I notice here to:  http://www.teatiawatrust.co.nz/assets/Uploads/03-Tupuna-Booklet-Te-Waka-a-Maui-9Nov2012.pdf   

Your next search would be the Nelson Land Court minute books.

Hope this starts your journey or adds more to your puzzle.

Arohanui Dianne Tahuaroa-Watson

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 November, 2018 8:28 pm
Share: