Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Ngako of Wairoa  

RSS
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Te Ngako of Te Wairoa, Hauraki.
I had been searching for any information on my GGGGGrandfather.Much thanks to those of you who have replied. I have now found the information I needed ( Feb 2007)
I know there were some of Ngati Paoa, Ngati Maru and Ngai Tai who settled in other regions including Taranaki,Nelson in the mid 1800s. Our people were quite transient so I imagine there was always an element of intergration which was not only achieved through marriage.

I have just had a Maori man staying from the Waikato who was on his way to Israel to live. He told me his whanau had also settled in the Nelson and South Island during the colonisation period. They settled there as it was part of their regular trade route. Maori were plying the seas and trading not only around NZ waters but also around South Australia
We had a little giggle about that as even today, here he is going off to Israel.
We have people of Maori descent on this site living in Norway,Belguim, Ireland, South Africa and many other spots far from NZs beautiful shores so it seems the trend to move is still there.
I have always felt our semi nomadic, hunter gather instincts are what kept us versatile and adaptable to our changing world. While our land and all thats in it is precious, the many settlements they called home within those tribal boundaries were widely spread. The lifestyle was to move from settlement to settlement in tune with the seasons and food supplies which required harvesting. I am of course referring here to the time before colonisation occurred. After that of course things changed and the impact was this semi nomadic existance was no longer viable. I am only mentioning this as on a few trips to NZ I have encountered young people with the idea that we all lived happily around one Marae before Europeons arrived. Perhaps that was the case if the food supply was plentiful or they had a tradeable asset such as salt, pounamu, obsidian etc. Those who did move and settle in other places would have retained their tribal name & identity rather than adopt the predominant one they lived amongst, how well they were intergrated and got accepted by another tribal entity probably related to how useful they were to the group as a whole.

Edited by - markonijoy on Feb 07 2007 8:46:39 PM

Posted : 23 November, 2005 7:51 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Wairoa ?? As in Wairoa of the Hawkes Bay...Wairoa up north ?? Wairoa the village in Rotorua???....There are a few Wairoas....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 4:57 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

ngati maru are from hauraki...do u know any wairoas there mistee?

unless its ngati maru...the hapu of rongowhakaata

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 5:54 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Thankyou both for your replies.
Thanks to a cousin reading this post I now know Te Ngako was a Ngai Tai Chief who lived around the 1800s in the Wairoa region which today is known as Howick
Mystery solved -regards Joy

Edited by - markonijoy on Dec 01 2005 12:25:11 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 6:33 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

okay,wairoa in hauraki

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2005 6:35 pm
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

There is Wairoa in Northland, Taranaki,Hauraki,as far as I can recall at the moment. I have a feeling that Rongowhakaata, is more associated to Ngati Ruapani, and Ngati Maru is a haapu of Taranaki.
The Wairoa that I am from is situated between Napier and Gisborne, and I also know that our whakapapa is very interesting.

Arohanui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2005 8:37 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Ohh Ngati Kahungunu Ki Te Wairoa Tuturu!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2007 5:00 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Ngati Maru is an iwi from the Hauraki region which in turn forms a part of 'Te Waka o Tainui'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2007 5:34 pm
Share: